MirageRe: Your bias against Atheists really shows thru....Sat Jan 28, 2012 08:48126.96.36.199I had thought he may possibly have chosen the word temple because Buddhists may be either secular or religious and Buddhist temples in Western nations have been pretty welcoming to secularists over the years. Your mention of Masonic temples reminded me that that could be another possible reason.
I thought the design planned for the temple has some nice symbolism. I do agree with you that the physical presence of a structure can put visitors in a different and peaceful frame of mind if it is well designed to inspire calm.
- Your bias against Atheists really shows thru.... Kasey, Sat Jan 28 05:33with your comments on Hitchens and Dawkins which are way off the mark. Yet many Atheiasts tend to keep it to themselves for obvious reasons in a partial theistic prejudiced and Christian society made ... more
- Re: Your bias against Atheists really shows thru.... Mirage, Sat Jan 28 08:48
- It's worth remembering however that Freemasons do have... Kasey, Sun Jan 29 05:32to recognize a [undefined] concept of a supreme being to become members....but without having to recognize any other association with it. This thus hints at a divinity concept....therefore a temple... more
- More likely it's my dislike of grandstanders Frashavan, Sat Jan 28 08:03Both Hitchens and Dawkins are major league grandstanders. His lurch to the right was noticed, and widely commented on; if you didn't read it, then do some research. If Hitchens hadn't chosen to... more
- Bias MN_Morgan, Mon Jan 30 12:52Most people get that tribe mentality (no matter what tribe they belong to) and attack anything outside of it, whether it is subjective or not. The ones with the bigger mouths are the ones that make... more
- I never got the whole "groupthink" thing Frashavan, Wed Feb 1 05:30And the more vocal people get in all expressing the same opinion, the more I want to question it. That's just me, I suppose...
- I can agree with you on the point of Hitchens.... Kasey, Sun Jan 29 05:46support of Bush for the Iraq war....both appear to have been ignorant of the lethal divisions below the surface within that religious nation among Sunni, Shia, Christian and other group which Saddam... more
- There are some biases. Mirage, Sat Jan 28 09:11There have been studies on that. I will try to find some links. There has never been a female President either, and given that women are a slight majority, it will be interesting to see how long... more
- Bias is inescapable. Frashavan, Sat Jan 28 09:29Everyone prefers some people to others; that's deeply psychological and can't really be changed. Bias becomes discrimination when it is expressed in action, of course. But, is it discrimination when... more
- Re: Bias is inescapable. Mirage, Sat Jan 28 10:20I didn't vote for him, even though it made me sad not to be a part of such an historical moment. The reason I didn't was that he was already sending too many messages to the hard right in his... more
- It's all part of the problem with... Frashavan, Sat Jan 28 11:35... a "representative" system, and one of the reasons I'm an anarchist. at the end of the day, whom does the representative represent? I agree Obama was sending messages before he was elected -- but... more
- You can be sure the moneyed supporters of the Republicans... Kasey, Sun Jan 29 05:55are doing everything they can afford, to undermine the good, humanitarian programmes Obama is trying to implement....regardless of the short term national consequences. Regards, Kasey
- Re: You can be sure the moneyed supporters of the Republicans... Mirage, Sun Jan 29 07:12He has tried, but let me put it this way, the promised reduction of healthcare costs left huge loopholes for insurance companies, and they have used them. Members of one insurance company here saw... more
- Any private system has to make a profit... Kasey, Mon Jan 30 02:25a national government run one might work better if the ALL health professionals did't try to rip off the system as they already do in the PHS. REGARDS, Kasey
- It's a non profit, supposedly (nm) Mirage, Mon Jan 30 05:16
- I'm not sure he wants to Frashavan, Sun Jan 29 08:22Obama raised a huge war chest, based on the donations of individuals, not corporations. That should have freed him from dependency on the moneyed interests, but seems to have had no visible impact.... more