BaruchRevelations is about hoped for destruction of Rome ...Tue Mar 6, 2012 23:28220.127.116.11by Jews with the aid of Persia. It elicited notions of Christian super-cessionism to reconcile Gentile Christianity with its message of the the rewarded martyrs of the Twelve Tribes. When it talks about punishing nations ... actually punishing Gentiles. Pagels is typically a orthodox Christian apologist. Revelations can't be reconciled with Roman Christianity, and Eusebius in the 3rd century knew that, and rejected this book from the canon ... but Athanasius put it back in. It has even less to do with Americans or the modern world, than Roman Christians of the 5th century, who had much to mourn about. The clergy in general, and after Constantine in particular, suppressed all independent forms of Gentile Christianity, suppressed Jewish Messianics including Jewish Christians, and suppressed all expression of the holy spirit, aside from the Desert Fathers and Mothers. Many forms of Gentile Christianity were reduced to one Legal Christianity ... and Jewish Christianity was completely destroyed, along with Paganism. Rabbinic Jews were put on reservations, not unlike American Indians ... as object lessons for Christian evangelism. In her case as much as the in the canon version, Christian interpretation deconstructs this document into a pretzel, to serve current dogma.
- VIKE: An excerpt from the Elain Plagels book Frashavan, Tue Mar 6 17:23http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203753704577253611876502848.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read By ELAINE PAGELS The Book of Revelation is the strangest book in the Bible, and the most... more
- Revelations is about hoped for destruction of Rome ... Baruch, Tue Mar 6 23:28
- Re: Revelations MN_Morgan, Thu Mar 8 10:32I know full and well what the document was written for, but if you dig anywhere, you can find a buried treasure all your own. I can find the outermost, the outer, the inner, and the secret if I look... more
- Agreed. One can overdue the reductionism Frashavan, Thu Mar 8 17:26One thing that give scriputres significance is their applicability to a wide variety of situations. That can be, often is, strained, but it is real.
- You are a person who knows ... Baruch, Thu Mar 8 16:58Jewish Bible interpretation is four-fold. Peshat, Remez, Drash and Sod .... Literal, Allegorical, Comparative and Esoteric. And acronym spelling ... Pardes ... the original Persian word from which we ... more
- I'm still learning... MN_Morgan, Fri Mar 9 11:16how to not catch my own reflection and stare at it till I grow into the bank. I've already had to uproot myself a few times.
- Like the wandering yucca trees in the animation, Rango? (nm) Baruch, Fri Mar 9 12:44
- Never saw it, but I assume so ;D (nm) MN_Morgan, Fri Mar 9 13:11