MirageRe: FeminismThu Mar 8, 2012 23:16220.127.116.11I don't consider myself a feminist. I do think women should be paid equally for equal work. I do think women do just fine in the Israeli army. I do think women have a right to say no, and so do men. Men are also often denied their rights. A boy raped in one of those fancy boarding schools by an upperclassman is expected not to say anything at all. Same thing happens guys at military academies, it's not just women who go through this. Men are discriminated against in custody cases to this day. Men who take traditionally female jobs such as nursing endure all sorts of gay jokes. Men are less likely to be able to take paternity leave and keep their jobs, even in places where the law says they must be given this option.
I don't consider myself a feminist. I am against all sex/gender bias and discrimination. I am opposed to society telling any person what role he or she is allowed to have in the family or in the workplace, or in politics or the military.
- Feminism MN_Morgan, Thu Mar 8 11:30There are those that want to castrate every man for being male, but feminism is not even remotely a dualistic issue, but a vast gradient of grays. The feminist blogs I follow on Tumblr just want the... more
- Re: Feminism Mirage, Thu Mar 8 23:16
- You do make a point. MN_Morgan, Fri Mar 9 11:06Perhaps I am the one sexist here. :D
- Nah Mirage, Fri Mar 9 12:40I don't think you're sexist. Men are often afraid to complain about mistreatment they suffer. It's considered unmanly, and because of that it's often invisible. It never occurs to most people. You... more
- Both sexes won't admit to abuse ... Baruch, Fri Mar 9 12:57though of course the most common kind is verbal or emotional. Men are just better at being stoic ... though women hide nearly as well ... I think the woman to woman communication is more open than... more
- That is fair, and neither feminist nor sexist ... Baruch, Fri Mar 9 07:04while it isn't OK for men to whine about their condition, we are routinely discriminated against, by other men, for many reasons other than gender issues. Men are competitive and militant, and don't... more
- Well respect is to be expected ... Baruch, Thu Mar 8 17:37but not given as often as it should. But that should be because of shared humanity, not because of a particular gender. I also believe, that women objectify men as well, though of course in a gender... more
- Re: Well respect is to be expected ... Mirage, Thu Mar 8 23:37I got kind of sick of being a piggybank too once. :( When you said women objectify men I thought until I read further that you were referring to sexual objectification, and that does exist. That... more
- "father's looks and the mother's intelligence" Baruch, Fri Mar 9 06:59Now who is being sexist ... hmm? Your personal anecdotes show good self awareness, and hence are precious. Yes, even handsome men, are not as beautiful as plane looking women ... in the eyes of both... more
- Re: "father's looks and the mother's intelligence" Mirage, Fri Mar 9 10:54No, the father's looks and mothers intelligence is not my personal idea, it is what geneticists have been saying for a couple decades now. I keep up with that stuff in honor of my mother. My sister... more
- I was speaking as a male ... Baruch, Fri Mar 9 12:48but since all women are part male, it has to partly apply to them as well ;-) Just ribbing you? I tend to think my daughter looks like her mother, and her mother says our daughter looks like me ...... more
- lol Mirage, Fri Mar 9 12:59I went to yuppie/trad schools. The dads were all cleanshaven and GQish, even the Jewish dads.
- And why those findings are interesting... Mirage, Fri Mar 9 11:25Rich men like Donald Trump often marry models or beauty queens. Famous models and actresses often go for rich guys even if they have a lot of money themselves. Think of Diana. If these findings by... more
- Well I think evolutionary psychology is bunk ... Baruch, Fri Mar 9 12:52aka E O Wilson "we are all ants now". "our culture is urging us to match pretty women with rich older men" ... that is because all the research is payed for by rich old men. As far as cougars go ...... more
- "Cougars" Mirage, Fri Mar 9 13:59Men have dated women that much younger than themselves forever without many eyebrows being raised. Some people do this for vanity reasons, but I think some of these matches are just that the two... more
- Not always a bad thing at all Mirage, Fri Mar 9 13:19My mother had fertility problems, and it took her many years in order to have a surviving child. She was 39 when she managed to have me, and 41 when she had my sister. My sister was the healthier one ... more