MirageRe: "father's looks and the mother's intelligence"Fri Mar 9, 2012 10:5422.214.171.124No, the father's looks and mothers intelligence is not my personal idea, it is what geneticists have been saying for a couple decades now. I keep up with that stuff in honor of my mother. My sister and I do strongly resemble our father, and when I read about these findings I went through all the kids I knew as a child and had seen their parents at events. I don't know if the intelligence thing is true, since those findings are based on IQ scores and I am not a big fan of the IQ test, but it's absolutely the case that of the hundreds of kids whose parents I had seen at school functions, most of them really did look more like their dads. I went to a small private school, so we knew each other's families very well. The school had about 500 students total, and I met all of them at some point,and most of their parents.
Handsome men are not as beautiful as plain women? That's silly. I was trying to tell you that for many people, beauty and "hotness" concepts are flexible and based on who you love, not vice versa.
- "father's looks and the mother's intelligence" Baruch, Fri Mar 9 06:59Now who is being sexist ... hmm? Your personal anecdotes show good self awareness, and hence are precious. Yes, even handsome men, are not as beautiful as plane looking women ... in the eyes of both... more
- Re: "father's looks and the mother's intelligence" Mirage, Fri Mar 9 10:54
- I was speaking as a male ... Baruch, Fri Mar 9 12:48but since all women are part male, it has to partly apply to them as well ;-) Just ribbing you? I tend to think my daughter looks like her mother, and her mother says our daughter looks like me ...... more
- lol Mirage, Fri Mar 9 12:59I went to yuppie/trad schools. The dads were all cleanshaven and GQish, even the Jewish dads.
- And why those findings are interesting... Mirage, Fri Mar 9 11:25Rich men like Donald Trump often marry models or beauty queens. Famous models and actresses often go for rich guys even if they have a lot of money themselves. Think of Diana. If these findings by... more
- Well I think evolutionary psychology is bunk ... Baruch, Fri Mar 9 12:52aka E O Wilson "we are all ants now". "our culture is urging us to match pretty women with rich older men" ... that is because all the research is payed for by rich old men. As far as cougars go ...... more
- "Cougars" Mirage, Fri Mar 9 13:59Men have dated women that much younger than themselves forever without many eyebrows being raised. Some people do this for vanity reasons, but I think some of these matches are just that the two... more
- My rule is plus/minus 5 years (nm) Baruch, Fri Mar 9 19:01
- That would rule out my marriage. Mirage, Sat Mar 10 00:14Why is it anyway that the term cougar only applies to women? My husband then is what animal? I am out of touch with the latest terms.
- Women redefine words in their favor ... Baruch, Sat Mar 10 06:20or use nicer words than are used for men in similar situations. Sweat vs perspire. So being nice but parallel ... how about lion? Shalom
- Not always a bad thing at all Mirage, Fri Mar 9 13:19My mother had fertility problems, and it took her many years in order to have a surviving child. She was 39 when she managed to have me, and 41 when she had my sister. My sister was the healthier one ... more