MirageNot always a bad thing at allFri Mar 9, 2012 13:1922.214.171.124My mother had fertility problems, and it took her many years in order to have a surviving child. She was 39 when she managed to have me, and 41 when she had my sister. My sister was the healthier one until recently. People are living longer now and reproductive medicine is better. A healthy woman under 50 or so with a good specialist is very likely to have a healthy baby with assistance now, and very likely that she will live to see it graduate from university if she lives in a Western country.
Advantages I had: My parents were more mature, and less emotional in crises than the parents of my friends whose parents were much younger. My parents had a house, and I think that was good for us. It meant we had space to play outside in relative safety and we had a garden and pets. My parents' marriage had already withstood the crucial early years and divorce was looking unlikely by the time we were born. They'd already endured some very trying times together. I think if they had been younger, their marriage might not have survived having a diabetic toddler. It was a huge strain on them keeping me alive and healthy, and paying for my care. Oh, also my parents didn't run off with my D&D books, like a friend's dad did. Today kids complain that their parents are hogging the computer to play WoW. My parents wouldn't have done that, but their era not their age is the reason. If I ever had kids...oh dear, I'd probably name my girl Apple and my son Asus or something. lol.
Disadvantages: My parents were less athletic and energetic than some of the younger parents. We didn't go on camping trips or rafting or get to see Mexico. They didn't have the energy for adventure by then, though my mother kept planning for a trip to the UK that never happened. I did miss out on some things like that.
- Well I think evolutionary psychology is bunk ... Baruch, Fri Mar 9 12:52aka E O Wilson "we are all ants now". "our culture is urging us to match pretty women with rich older men" ... that is because all the research is payed for by rich old men. As far as cougars go ...... more
- "Cougars" Mirage, Fri Mar 9 13:59Men have dated women that much younger than themselves forever without many eyebrows being raised. Some people do this for vanity reasons, but I think some of these matches are just that the two... more
- My rule is plus/minus 5 years (nm) Baruch, Fri Mar 9 19:01
- That would rule out my marriage. Mirage, Sat Mar 10 00:14Why is it anyway that the term cougar only applies to women? My husband then is what animal? I am out of touch with the latest terms.
- Women redefine words in their favor ... Baruch, Sat Mar 10 06:20or use nicer words than are used for men in similar situations. Sweat vs perspire. So being nice but parallel ... how about lion? Shalom
- Not always a bad thing at all Mirage, Fri Mar 9 13:19