FrashavanIt may not be, but it's stupidSun Mar 11, 2012 18:55220.127.116.11Was today's massacre of sleeping women and children an order or just someone running amuk?
I would like soldiers to disobey such orders, or at least, creatively implement them. It won't happen, though. So far the State controls the military... or vice versa, I'm not sure. We are all barbarians...the civilized veneer is very, very thin.... and we are beginning to gaze into the Abyss.
Canada has a long history of peace-keeping and peace=making; the officers we have were brough up in that tradition, so I think -- so far -- we have missed the worst of this.
- Deliberate, not a blunder ... Baruch, Sun Mar 11 08:32after being in Afghanistan, for over 10 years now, they didn't do this, without knowing what they were doing, from the White House on down. All an act, designed to pressure Karzai ... in the midst of ... more
- It may not be, but it's stupid Frashavan, Sun Mar 11 18:55
- Re: It may not be, but it's stupid Mirage, Sun Mar 11 22:01US soldiers are required and expected to refuse and report improper orders. Doing so takes a great deal of courage, but some have done it, and paid whatever price resulted. I think this is someone... more
- He had already toured in Iraq ... Baruch, Sun Mar 11 22:08and this was his first time in Afghanistan. If we were doing the Vietnam war style rotation, he would never had had to go to Afghanistan. Our professional forces are overtasked, to the destruction of ... more
- I am thankful for the assistance of the ... Baruch, Sun Mar 11 20:56Canadian military. But it seems mostly our interaction has been friendly fire that killed Canadians, early in the Afghan war ;-( Saw a Youtube this past week, with ground troops (British?) having a... more