BaruchI hope neither of you put stock ...Tue Mar 13, 2012 03:1068.91.150.80in the idea, that these experiences of synesthesia etal, are abnormal, except in a statistical sense. In my pure empirical approach, there isn't a single reality, so if you see colors in addition to hearing sounds, when there is sound to be heard ... that in fact is your reality, no less valid than any other. Evidence for how marvelous life is. In fact synesthesia would be a parable for Mahayana metaphysics.
- Oooh might be Mirage, Mon Mar 12 18:57My mother never indicated she had the sort of sensations I do but it might not have occurred to her if she had it that she was unusual. I have actually been diagnosed with synesthesia, but I thought... more
- Re: Synesthesia MN_Morgan, Tue Mar 13 12:45I wonder if you can get paired sensations that are atypical from visual data too? Like with extremely abstract art. I've seen some designs that literally make my eyes and teeth itch and I wonder if... more
- Re: Synesthesia Mirage, Wed Mar 14 03:45Synesthesia perceptions aren't necessarily consistent between different people, but for the same person it tends to be consistent. For example, a lot of people with synesthesia perceive letters to be ... more
- Certain light patterns are know to trigger epilepsy ... BTW (nm) Baruch, Tue Mar 13 12:55
- I was referring more to still images MN_Morgan, Tue Mar 13 15:45It's only certain ones, and I can't quite pinpoint what about them actually triggers it.
- I hope neither of you put stock ... Baruch, Tue Mar 13 03:10
- It's atypical, but not abnormal. Mirage, Tue Mar 13 06:08I forget most of the time that I have it. I've perceived things that way ever since I can remember. A friend of mine told me once it comes out in my poetry. It's not that rare, apparently.
- Does he have dyslexia too? Mirage, Mon Mar 12 19:08I do and have wondered if they are linked or commonly found together.
- It's a bit hard to say, yet Frashavan, Tue Mar 13 09:41he's still learning to read and write, so some letter reversals are normal. I have dyslexia/dysgraphia, but only have rare moments of synesthesia. (not that he and eye are genetically related, anyway)