MiragePeople like to believe danger is predictable. :(Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:05188.8.131.52It's really interesting walking. I don't walk like that anymore but when I was in university our campus had Crips on one side, and Bloods on the other. They were at war. I was walking a lot around then outside of the campus, and I was careful not to wear anything that was associated with either. The only people who ever stopped me on the street were people who would sometimes come over and warn me that I should get out of there because something might happen to me. Some of those people were wearing colors, but they were concerned enough about this crazy girl to try to warn me. Sometimes I would be pushing a cart full of film gear when I was making a documentary. A couple people warned me to put a blanket over it or cover it up. It would surely get stolen. But it didn't.
I wasn't part of the war. I am pretty sure they all knew if something violent happened to a white girl from the university, there's going to be all kinds of massive consequences nobody wants. They weren't stupid. Campus itself was declared to be neutral my second year there. The worst things that happened on campus while I was there were committed by students or people posing as students. Rapes, domestic violence. Stuff that unfortunately tends to happen on most campuses where there are lots of students. Our campus paper had a weekly crime report which came from campus security. It was full of silly stuff like a guy throwing slices of pizza at a girl's dorm window one by one while she cussed him out from the second floor.
I probably should have been more careful. An area across the street from campus is the one most shown being burned and looted in footage from the L.A. riots. One of those famous videos of the riots shows some sorority girls looting electronics in the background, btw. That really disgusts me. I actually think I was probably a safer walking around there than people who lived there because I clearly had nothing to do with anything that was going on. Maybe I just didn't go around looking at people funny. I dunno. Maybe it's all luck or I was a fool rushing in where angels fear to tread. One thing I did learn growing up in the City of Angels is that you never know what the angels are going to look like until you meet them.
- Yes but... MN_Morgan, Thu Mar 29 09:19This is something we all must actively change by making acceptable prejudice unacceptable. Prejudice is not okay, and that is something we all should fight tooth and nail, especially those of us who... more
- People like to believe danger is predictable. :( Mirage, Thu Mar 29 11:05
- If it was predictable... MN_Morgan, Thu Mar 29 12:44...we'd be able to stamp it out. Unfortunately, it's not. The angels were definitely out in force. :D
- Profiling is probably worse than rolling dice.. Mirage, Thu Mar 29 18:07
- Profiling sai ram, Fri Mar 30 11:20Profiling is indeed necessary..a necessary evil..the world is not a small village....too many members....no one has time to meet and greet everyone. But life still needs to go on, and part of life is ... more