MirageRe: To an extant, Socrates was rightMon Apr 2, 2012 23:4218.104.22.168Interesting observation about mirrors. Perhaps the taboo black mirrors were actually safer.
The more I read about other faiths, and also about secular philosophies, the commonality I see. Under the surface, there are many shared concepts and many forms and expressions of love, really. I really don't see why religions fight each other so much when most of them profess to have the same goals, including a goal of inward and outward peace. Maybe if we could stop trying to own God or the lack thereof. It sounds awfully silly when put that way, doesn't it? Not to mention, impossible.
I'm not stuck on the idea that all truths must be objective.
- To an extant, Socrates was right Frashavan, Mon Apr 2 21:08We don't, most of us, anyway, manage to understand the Truth. All we can grasp, with greater or lesser fidelity and attention to detail, are the imperfect reflections of Truth "in" something. We... more
- Re: To an extant, Socrates was right Mirage, Mon Apr 2 23:42
- Some have theorized that... Frashavan, Tue Apr 3 06:27... the human mind is naturally religious. (This can be framed either as a positive thing, or in a terribly deterministic way, like many scientific theories.) It's possible, of course. Or, it may be... more
- Limited to 16 Meyer-Briggs personality types (nm) Baruch, Sat Apr 7 09:39
- Great analagy clarym29, Tue Apr 3 08:47I like the ant comparison. I think that mankind is naturally drawn to what is later called religion. Humankind has a natural curious streak. Why this, and why that. Cave man, lets say, wanted to know ... more
- Father/Mother Mirage, Tue Apr 3 08:58I tend to call Him Father. I could just as easily call Her Mother. Baruch sometimes refers to Her. I am just traditional in that the generic pronoun in English has traditionally been masculine, but... more
- An explantion sai ram, Tue Apr 3 09:55Sai Baba gave an explanation once on why God is viewed as a male.....Avatars decend on earth as males because men would relate to them better and they also need their message more. Women are more... more
- Thanks Mirage, Tue Apr 3 11:17It seems kind of pessimistic about the male potential for spirituality, though. I'm thinking of you and the other guys who post here, and there are some pretty spiritually advanced men around here. A ... more
- Well, clarym29, Tue Apr 3 09:15If you said "she" you would include both. :))
- There's some science in it Mirage, Tue Apr 3 08:34There are areas of the brain which do appear to have something to do with religion. There are injuries, seizures, and chemical imbalances which can change people's perception of the spiritual, even... more