FrashavanIt can be very hard for parentsWed Apr 4, 2012 18:23220.127.116.11I was a severe, chronic asthmatic from infancy. It must have been very hard on my parents.
The only two things I know for sure was my Mother told someone once, and I overheard, how much she hated giving me adrenalin shots when I was a baby. Of course, they hurt and she felt bad doing it. I also know that when i was between 11-13 I had a chronic pain condition, and the cost of treating it (there were endless prescriptions, most of which did not work) set them back financially.... Thank god we have public health insurance hear in Canada, but still they had to take time off work to take me, and had to drive me all over.
I realize now that I test right at the edge of the autism spectrum, and have many of the characteristics. It explains a lot, actually.
- Having a child with autism Frashavan, Wed Apr 4 08:19We didn't know that Eli had autism when we adopted him, we knew he had a wonderful, magical smile. We knew he adored his big-brother from the moment they met. Time went on, and he didn't start to... more
- I am glad nobody cured my of my Asparger's ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 08:47if they had, I would drive a big pickup truck, drink beer, and watch NFL ;-) Like Capt Kirk said about himself, in the movie about Spock's misguided brother, if he was healed of his pain, he wouldn't ... more
- So much to learn... clarym29, Wed Apr 4 12:24I remember watching a documentary on The Learning Channel, I think, featuring an autistic woman who is now in charge of an agricultural program at a Texas University I think. I do not remember her... more
- Indeed MN_Morgan, Wed Apr 4 10:37It sounds like they're taking good consistent structured care of him. The boy I train with after school has Autism, and it's not an easy task to keep from sabotaging work done with him. It makes me... more
- They are really good Frashavan, Wed Apr 4 18:09Eli loves school, and learning things, which helps a lot.
- Each person born, is handicapped ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 08:49most handicaps aren't visible. Each child learns, if possible, ways of coping, by using their body and mind, in creative ways. This is like the genesis of a shaman. In their case it is mental... more
- I like that analogy clarym29, Sat Apr 7 10:09I guess that is a more creative way of saying that everybody is different.
- Creative yes, but hopefully more hopeful and insightful (nm) Baruch, Sat Apr 7 10:34
- That's something beautiful... MN_Morgan, Thu Apr 5 13:08When you see a kid get engaged into something like that. Sounds like he's gunning 110%.
- Thank you so very much for sharing this. Mirage, Wed Apr 4 10:17I have never been diagnosed as autistic but some people have suggested that I may have Asperger's. That is not why I am thanking you. I am thanking you because before I turned 2 I was diagnosed with... more
- It can be very hard for parents Frashavan, Wed Apr 4 18:23
- In my case, I stammered a lot until in High School (nm) Baruch, Sat Apr 7 08:50