BaruchPolitical theory vs political reality ...Sat Apr 7, 2012 07:14220.127.116.11Originally neither women, Indians, slaves and men without enough real estate ... couldn't vote. Perhaps we should have kept it that way? The US is a republic, same as Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union. The only thing different between the US 200 years ago, and Britain back then, is that we didn't have King George, just President George.
Also in American culture, perhaps politics today, rather than baseball, is America's favorite game. Perhaps we should hope our culture will recenter on Angry Birds ;-) In sports, you have billionaires buying and mismanaging pro-sports teams. Just think of the Democrats as the Bad News Bears, and the Republicans as the True Predators ... these are pro-sports teams ... with the ownership (Steinbrenner-like) directly interfering in the team roster and team play.
If you think of it like that ... then go ahead and pay $60 a seat per game at the stadium to watch your favorite team in action, or buy a private box seat for a mere $10,000,000 (I am guessing) ... or just watch on TV. But don't buy the propaganda that the players aren't using performance enhancing drugs or that politicians don't pay attention to lobbyists.
- O say can you see, the U. S. Oligarchy? ipirate2, Fri Apr 6 07:45O say can you see, the U. S. Oligarchy? The U. S. is on sale. Buy it while itís hot. O say can you see, by the dawn's early light, what so proudly we hailed we now proudly renounce. democracy... more
- When the big $$$$ could win an election! (nm) Kasey, Sun Apr 8 09:24
- vike: West Coast radiation sai ram, Sat Apr 7 17:06could it be that our government isn't cutting us in on this?......naw http://www.setyoufreenews.com/2012/04/03/the-radiation-warnings-you-wont-get-from-the-mainstream-propaganda-machine/
- vike: While I was gone ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 21:42I saw the movie, John Carter. I thought it was good escapism. I also rewatched the funny but spiritual animation, Rango. Shalom
- Someone I know, bought his own radiation meter ;-( (nm) Baruch, Sat Apr 7 17:20
- Political theory vs political reality ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 07:14
- Re: Political theory vs political reality ... ipirate2, Wed Apr 11 07:17Sometimes thinking in an analogical way shows a clearer picture. Good work. Regards DL
- Well the more you dilute sai ram, Sat Apr 7 17:10Well the more you dilute the voter base...the greater the chance of dummies getting to vote.....it was already high before it was diluted....the only thing left is prisoners and children....perhaps... more
- Agree--to a point clarym29, Sun Apr 8 10:03But the Rep. are limiting voting only in classes that vote mainly Demo. While I am not a huge fan of either party, what this means is that the Rep party will have a much easier time winning and that... more
- i think I've solved the problem sai ram, Sun Apr 8 11:32As I have said I don't have much faith in the voting public....hows thi? You vote...if your candidate wins and if this elected official is covicted of any crime while holding office. The voter can't... more
- I can do it even faster ... Baruch, Sun Apr 8 13:56Convict every officeholder of corruption (common individual attack in Republican Rome or Athens). I won't bother to define what corruption is, but I won't be partisan (my officeholder is not corrupt... more
- Or..... clarym29, Sun Apr 8 11:58maybe we should go in the opposite direction. Maybe a full democracy should be tried--like the New England townhall meetings. That, too, would slow down the who government process and make one person ... more
- Correct ... Baruch, Sun Apr 8 14:10you simply have to reestablish the "polis" ... which was similar to our counties ... only on the basis of population, not on gerrymandering. Ancient Megara for example, near Athens. City population... more
- Sai is a rather strange person ... Baruch, Sun Apr 8 10:23an American Hindu by choice, and also rather Republican. If he was Democrat he would be Buddhist of course ;-) The media and the DINO/RINO coalition, want every election to be razor thin, like... more
- I see--he wears only one Jack boot???? (nm) clarym29, Sun Apr 8 10:40
- On the positive side sai ram, Sun Apr 8 12:33its spit polished......with a wing-tip top.....sai ram..
- very conservitive--wing-tips never go out of style. (nm) clarym29, Sun Apr 8 22:44
- My dad sai ram, Mon Apr 9 09:36My dad always bought my two other brothers and me wing tips growing up....and they ALWAYS had to be shined.....as he always said...."make sure you shine the back's of them real good...for thats the... more
- Good advice clarym29, Mon Apr 9 09:43My dad was partial to wing tips, too.
- Well sai ram, Fri Apr 6 10:22while I was growing up I thought democracy was the way to go...one man (er, woman)...one vote......but the problem with this is the voter. One highly educated person who knows the issues....knows the ... more
- Alas part of the point of politics ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 07:58is for the somewhat rich, to get much richer. Just ask the Clintons and their $5 million dollar wedding for their daughter! Well, beats the royal one last year for a mere $200 million!! Yes, study... more
- Lie detector tests... MN_Morgan, Fri Apr 6 19:27Don't work on sociopaths. It only works if you believe you're lying and if you don't know the polygraph tests don't really work. If you stay frosty, it won't pick up a thing.
- I have a way around that ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 07:47put the lie detector on a voter, and if the voter thinks the politician is lying ... zing! Shalom
- Flawless! (nm) MN_Morgan, Sat Apr 7 15:38
- They are better than nuttin (nm) sai ram, Fri Apr 6 21:19
- Not really clarym29, Fri Apr 6 21:47For it seems all of our politicians are sociopaths. They simply don't care. Corporate money tends to do that.
- I prefer water-boarding ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 08:02so do both parties. I would say, OK be a politician, but you get tortured every day while you are in office. And not with rubber chicken fund raisers. While torture won't cure sociopaths (who also... more
- And let's start with Cheney clarym29, Sat Apr 7 09:31who finally really does have a heart.
- I would have him spend time in his ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 09:34man sized safe ... I guess a mini-dungeon ... but I not that kinky. I did see a political cartoon of him in S&M clothing once ... was quite appropriate. Shalom
- Sadly clarym29, Fri Apr 6 08:42You are correct, and maybe even understating it a bit. Michigan has a law that allows the state to take over any city, fire all the elected officials, appoint a manager who can do just about anything ... more