BaruchAlas part of the point of politics ...Sat Apr 7, 2012 07:58184.108.40.206is for the somewhat rich, to get much richer. Just ask the Clintons and their $5 million dollar wedding for their daughter! Well, beats the royal one last year for a mere $200 million!!
Yes, study history, and one can see why democracy is rare. The Greeks and Romans went all thru this before, and democracy lost out to autocracy. Sparta (with Persian help) defeated Athens. And Rome ate its own, with Mafia efficiency. What is degenerate is the idea of monarchy ... that the children of the powerful, are automatically the best autocrats. Time and again, this is shown to be not so. This is what America was based on, rejection of monarchy ... not rejection of autocracy (just ask Southerners). The idea of the Civil War was that public autocracy trumps private autocracy ... and that an endless stream of low payed immigrants (today we simply move the factories to them) is better than an endless stream of low payed slaves. In actual African slavery, the slaves couldn't reproduce enough to keep up the supply (ruins the romantic moment), so constant importation had to occur, which incurred high losses during transit.
On the other hand, given our new eternal partnership with the Middle Kingdom ... Chinese history is much more relevant today. Mao didn't invent anything ... the idea of harnessing a peasant revolt with ideology ... had been done before. So had the idea of using that as a means of founding a new dynasty. Madam Mao tried and failed to make that a hereditary dynasty. Today China is a bureaucratic dynasty (they invented bureaucracy thanks to Confucious) that is morphing slowly into a plutocratic dynasty (just catching up to America there). Traditionally merchants and manufacturing was considered low socially ... the predecessor to Mao ... the First Emperor ... theorized and tried to implement all that Little Red Book (China loves crimson) over 2000 years ago. The First Emperor considered capitalists and scholars to be vermin to be exterminated. He is the one with the vast army of life sized clay soldiers. Though I suspect that the clay they were made from, came from the ashes of the people that they individually depict (each head is unique). The First Emperor, like Mao, killed millions.
- Well sai ram, Fri Apr 6 10:22while I was growing up I thought democracy was the way to go...one man (er, woman)...one vote......but the problem with this is the voter. One highly educated person who knows the issues....knows the ... more
- Alas part of the point of politics ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 07:58
- Lie detector tests... MN_Morgan, Fri Apr 6 19:27Don't work on sociopaths. It only works if you believe you're lying and if you don't know the polygraph tests don't really work. If you stay frosty, it won't pick up a thing.
- I have a way around that ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 07:47put the lie detector on a voter, and if the voter thinks the politician is lying ... zing! Shalom
- Flawless! (nm) MN_Morgan, Sat Apr 7 15:38
- They are better than nuttin (nm) sai ram, Fri Apr 6 21:19
- Not really clarym29, Fri Apr 6 21:47For it seems all of our politicians are sociopaths. They simply don't care. Corporate money tends to do that.
- I prefer water-boarding ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 08:02so do both parties. I would say, OK be a politician, but you get tortured every day while you are in office. And not with rubber chicken fund raisers. While torture won't cure sociopaths (who also... more
- And let's start with Cheney clarym29, Sat Apr 7 09:31who finally really does have a heart.
- I would have him spend time in his ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 09:34man sized safe ... I guess a mini-dungeon ... but I not that kinky. I did see a political cartoon of him in S&M clothing once ... was quite appropriate. Shalom