BaruchWell this is an old old battle ...Sat Apr 7, 2012 10:39184.108.40.206originally men and women had separate religious spheres. The women weren't necessarily nice ... they were into human sacrifice for agriculture, usually killing the "Green Man". Eventually both sexes figured out where babies came from ... and it is all patriarchal rape since then. The woman's ritual wasn't sacred anymore, just something the men relegated to women because they didn't want it. This went on with the killing of witches in the Reformation time (not Middle Ages), the replacement of midwives with obstetricians, and the struggle women nurses still have with doctors. I work in a medical facility, so I see it all the time ... even with women doctors.
Yes, the Republicans are the guardians of the newer patriarchy ... they don't realize matriarchy is older, or at least originally equal. The whole point of the Republicans acting badly, is that they intend to intimidate the women and minorities, just like the Brownshirts they actually are.
- playing with fire clarym29, Sat Apr 7 09:56I like your explanation of the role of fire in early religious thought and belief. I guess that is why most, if not all, the earliest religions had women leaders and gods. After all, while women were ... more
- Here is some eternal fire ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 17:08Part way into this, there is a tribe of untouchables, who are keeping the same funeral pyre, they say, for the last 3500 years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocWG1bayuCY Here is a sacred Zoroastrian ... more
- PS - ironically this quarter's issue of Parabola, is on Fire (nm Baruch, Sat Apr 7 21:44
- Well this is an old old battle ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 10:39
- Actually sai ram, Sat Apr 7 12:30I like the Hindu style of thought on keeping the sexes on one side and the males on the others in the temples and during bhajans and prayer. Of course the thought is that you need as little... more
- Orthodox Jews at the Western Wall ... Baruch, Sat Apr 7 14:26in synagogue, and in early Roman/Byzantine Christianity did the same thing. This was the norm. Shalom