BaruchGood scientific method is good ...Tue Apr 24, 2012 18:5126.96.36.199because it was developed thru trial and error over the last 500 years, and didn't succumb to Lysenkoism. It is not always possible to apply it however, because of the nature of what is being studied, there is no panacea even in epistemology.
Your example, about "just a theory", is an example of a prejudice. The Anglo-American world tends to be empirical, and that of the Franco-German world tends to be rational. That saying was originally used to nationalistically dismiss non-Anglo Europeans ... Newton vs Leibniz for example.
- What is a theory? clarym29, Tue Apr 24 11:33Development of a Simple Theory by the Scientific Method: Start with an observation that evokes a question: Broth spoils when I leave it out for a couple of days. Why? Using logic and previous... more
- Good scientific method is good ... Baruch, Tue Apr 24 18:51
- ...air my foot sai ram, Tue Apr 24 12:29its not 'air' that has spoiled my grandkids.....its Grandma...er, maybe Grandpa......and my wife has made some broth that never was allowed to sit lone enough to have any dang air spoil it (or so... more
- There are kooks that believe in ... Baruch, Tue Apr 24 18:52Hollow Earth theory and Flat Earth theory also, and would get a hearing on Fox & Friends ;-) Shalom
- That's Faux and Friends (nm) clarym29, Tue Apr 24 19:56
- I don't buy hollow earth sai ram, Tue Apr 24 19:15but hollow moon might be true.....there has always been something odd about the moon in my mind...sai ram.. http://www.onelight.com/thei/hollowmoon.html
- Lunacy? (nm) Baruch, Tue Apr 24 23:50
- While sai ram, Wed Apr 25 00:40While people insist that admissions to psychiatric hospitals, traffic accidents, homicides or suicides increase during a full Moon, there is no scientific evidence to support such claims....but my... more
- It's the green cheese..... (nm) clarym29, Tue Apr 24 19:57
- perhaps.......but sai ram, Tue Apr 24 20:55but I think its odd why the man-in-the-moon...doesn't have a name...everyone should have a name...even if its Ralph....sai ram.