clarym29You are more wellWed Apr 25, 2012 20:23220.127.116.11traveled than I. I am envious.
Not all truth that is embedded in myth comes from a real person--symbolic truth does not need a person to impart truth or lesson. Aesop demonstrates that--as well as Grimm's fairy tales.
- Well sai ram, Wed Apr 25 19:58there were enough people on earth that people didn't need to make others up....I believe Jesus to be real....but I also believe we don't have a accurate nor true picture of His... more
- All the myths are true ... Baruch, Thu Apr 26 06:46to the cultures in which they arise ... the problem is that the modern notion of factual truth is bogus. Shalom
- Facts died MN_Morgan, Mon Apr 30 14:20http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04-19/news/ct-talk-huppke-obit-facts-20120419_1_facts-philosopher-opinion It's a crying shame. ;D
- I read that same article last week ... Baruch, Mon Apr 30 18:20pretty funny in a sad way. The facts were ... as defined by the Enlightenment, by the European colonialist upper classes ... particularly facts on the ground ... such as we have steel and horses and... more
- Of course not! MN_Morgan, Wed May 2 09:28The people who migrated there first and settled in the land did. :P
- To be more precise, it's a myth Frashavan, Thu Apr 26 07:40the myth of "factual" truth and "objective" and "empirical" science is the most common myth in our societies. Quite a few people (not naming names) are unable to see that it isn't, and couldn't be a... more
- I have sympathy ... Baruch, Thu Apr 26 13:34any great civilization is a cultural Matrix complete in itself, and only requires pre-industrial technology to propagate and survive ... computers are not required. But most people in any culture... more
- Sympathy, he's got! Frashavan, Fri Apr 27 04:46Even though you, and I, and perhaps a few others, peek under the corner of the curtain in idle moments, most of the time we accept and act as if the prevailing myths were true. People always do. The... more
- One reason why I know that the core of Christianity ... Baruch, Fri Apr 27 05:56is powerful, even if it is fictional, is that the Powers recognize that it is deeply subversive and has to remain submissive to the Powers. This is the struggle between our American politician, Ryan, ... more
- You are more well clarym29, Wed Apr 25 20:23
- But in Delphi they still believe they executed ... Baruch, Thu Apr 26 06:49the annoying Aesop, by throwing him off the top of the mountain there. Did they? What matters is that they have believed they did, for 1000s of years. Truth and falsehood aren't opposites, they are... more