sai ramthe So whatFri Apr 27, 2012 15:4718.104.22.168"But it was not dependable or should I say it had the lowest dependable rating one could give in this area.".....torture is a tool...and like any tools it might not be what you need for the job. But if I need it...I've got it...thats why I would not outlaw it. Our enemies certainly wouldn't.
"Tortured people have a tendency to tell you what you want to hear"....and usually its information. The torturer hope is that you will give it up. So telling them what they want...is what they want. Will everyone do so...heck no....but alot of weaker ones would. I would fit in this category. And its been reliable enough to have peope continue using it.
See the advantage of holding someone under these conditions of torture is not having to let them go. Even the tortured know that they are in a pickle...wrong information will come right back at them...and usually result in worst torture. If there is a terrorist with a nuclear bomb hidden somewhere in the US and we have them in a holding cell...I would want and expect the Government to use every method possible to get the terrorist to give up this information....now I would also hope that they use the most productive methods in obtaining it first. In descending order.. Whatever method that is and this includes waterboarding..tickling their feet....or showing them nude picures of Mama Cass...I really don't care.........
so what is the best methods of getting information from lets say a fanatic?.....if torture is useless or next to useless...whats a true and tested method?....I really want to know......
Spanking "In my experience it does not work, except maybe in a short term manner, at times." ......I agree totally....I don't think proponents of spanking ever said it was a long time fix for any infraction.....as a parent the best I could ever hope for was a "short term fix"....and I've seen the short term fix work well.....as a tool..there are times its the perfect tool...and others its most definetely not.........
"It teaches, whether or not we want it to, that might makes right."....er, 'might' usually always has the upper hand in life.....so a child needs to learn this lesson along with many other things......
"Spanking is too often used because it is the easiest thing to do."...easy yes in a way...most of the time..'timing' for discipline is an important factor....while a young child might not understand the real downside of going out into the street and you trying to make them understand all of the ramifications, will probably prove to be a waste of time....children as well as adults can relate to pain and will try and avoid it if possible....a child can immediately relate to pain..and even the slower of children can the put pain of spanking and going out into the street together real fast. And as a parent I would rather have my child experience pain on their butt as compared to a car running them over.....a time out in their room I don't have much hope for as a real success story....my daugther in law is a pediatrician....and she understand and supports spanking at certain ages and in some cases....as a tool...lets just call it instead of a spanking an "attention getter"........sai ram
- The immorality and ineffectiveness of torture Frashavan, Fri Apr 27 04:35Since 9-11 we have had a few discussions here about the use of torture. Those of you who have been here for awhile know that I have always said that torture was a completely immoral and unethical... more
- The the polygrph instead in disguise? (nm) Kasey, Fri Apr 27 22:01
- In my experience clarym29, Fri Apr 27 09:51I spent 3 year in the active Army, and 9 years in the active reserve, as a Special Agent im Military Intelligence. I was a counter-espionage agent, but I did have some exposure to the techniques of... more
- Civilians only believe what they see on TV (nm) Baruch, Fri Apr 27 17:32
- So it was useless sai ram, Fri Apr 27 13:20what plan did they have that was much better?...one that is tried and true?.....I would believe its not 100% or even 50%...but useless...naw. Its been used all over the world by countries since there ... more
- If we can torture all the kids in foreign nations ... Baruch, Fri Apr 27 17:37from a young age, maybe they will learn to avoid Americans. You have to be proactive. After the Twin Towers fall is too late. Colonization, extermination, expropriation, enslavement ... our ancestors ... more
- Of course there clarym29, Fri Apr 27 13:58could be benefits to anything. So, what? Yes, torture has been used and will continue to be used forever. So what? No, torture was not useless according to my teachers and those that worked in the... more
- Authorities don't want your respect ... Baruch, Fri Apr 27 17:43they want your fear, and to use that fear as a tool, to use the violence they have induced, to useful 1% purposes. "verified to be of real value" ... that is something no Republican or Democrat... more
- Re: Authorities don't want your respect ... clarym29, Fri Apr 27 18:01"Authorities don't want your respect ...they want your fear, and to use that fear as a tool, to use the violence they have induced, to useful 1% purposes." As they say in the old country--No Shit,... more
- fear is sai ram, Fri Apr 27 20:44fear is a big if not the biggest motivator of mankind......is it counterproductive?....I don't know.....most working people have some level of fear about being late for work. This fear just might... more
- The official list of phobias ... Baruch, Sat Apr 28 00:56include fear of dirt and fear of death. Now phobia is an irrational or extreme example of a rational fear. I kind of think that the first is crazy but the second is reasonable ;-) Shalom
- Ever hear of clarym29, Fri Apr 27 22:29the word contraryian? You wear it well. :)
- More curmugeonly ;-) (nm) Baruch, Sat Apr 28 00:57
- I yam what I yam and thatís all what I yam! (nm) sai ram, Sat Apr 28 10:09
- Watch out for the listeria on the spinach (nm) Baruch, Sat Apr 28 11:08
- I'm not fond on yams. (nm) clarym29, Sat Apr 28 11:48
- you need more edumakation about our friend the yam sai ram, Sat Apr 28 12:12http://www.livestrong.com/article/246981-what-are-the-benefits-of-eating-yams/ don't get Popeye upset with you.......sai ram
- No, no--spinich good---yams, yuck! (nm) clarym29, Sat Apr 28 14:42
- Try ... Baruch, Sat Apr 28 14:58deep-fried tempura battered yams at a Japanese restaurant. One of my daughter's favorites. Shalom
- Counterproductive? Baruch, Fri Apr 27 18:34if you are using fear on your loved ones, then they should "off" you the next time you sleep. See in Newspeak, Love is Hate ... and we express a lot of that lately. The problem has been our... more
- Great advice clarym29, Fri Apr 27 18:53if you are using fear on your loved ones, then they should "off" you the next time you sleep. -----Just got a verdict, in the town I live in, on a woman who stabbed her husband to death while he... more
- A woman like that is what Conservatives fear most! (nm) Baruch, Fri Apr 27 19:05
- the So what sai ram, Fri Apr 27 15:47
- I agree....except sai ram, Fri Apr 27 09:22"I have always said that torture was a completely immoral and unethical thing"....I agree.....however, torture has been around for how long?...how long has the armies in the world used torture to... more
- True enough ... Baruch, Fri Apr 27 05:50unfortunately the truth isn't valued as much as it should be, nor is kindness. Falsehood and cruelty are ascendant. Let the seculars and their progress of humanity fantasies deal with that. Shalom