FrashavanI find it irritating, tooWed May 9, 2012 18:422.214.171.124There is an arrogance in it.
However, it has become such a conventionality in American sport that I suspect that it means very little -- it's just what the player thinks is expected of them in such a moment. Much like saying "We gave 110%." or "It ain't over till it's over." Sports is very much a conventionalized, not to say cliche thing.
(When I was a reporter, I once wrote a sports column that was nothing but cliches... no on caught on to the joke (not even the senior editor, which made it that much more fun for the people who were in on it.)
- For some reason this struck me as........ clarym29, Wed May 9 17:31irritating. I am a lifelong baseball fan and having Hamilton slam 4 homes in one game is a treat! I am not a Rangers fan, but this is historic nonetheless. but when asked about it after the game... more
- Its all about them sai ram, Wed May 9 22:24not only did they prove they are one hell of an athlete by doing such a feat...but they are also saying they are a wonderful good person that believes in the Almighty...so much.... that the Almighty... more
- It's more the false modesty of it Frashavan, Thu May 10 05:49Uriah Heep is not an attractive character...
- Mighty Casey would have been a jerk ... Baruch, Thu May 10 06:03even if he had hit that home run instead of being struck out, even if Mudville had a reason to celebrate. Athleticism is a exercise in Greek hubris as well as arete. Shalom
- I always inferred from the text that... Frashavan, Thu May 10 06:19...mighty Casey was, indeed, a jerk of the first water. And the Mudville fans were like the people who organzied the 84 Olympics...
- I find it irritating, too Frashavan, Wed May 9 18:41
- Do you suppose...... clarym29, Wed May 9 20:39Frashavan, is that article published somewhere on the net? I'd like to read it. I guess it is simply the unstated arrogance that irritates me--only it seems to do so on some days more than others.... more
- Ronald Reagan preceded you ... Baruch, Wed May 9 19:07his initial job reporting sports events on the radio. was all acting, he was reading from a transcript after the fact, not reporting on a live game. For some reason I have never trusted professional... more
- Reading too much into it? Baruch, Wed May 9 18:06Really, did he actually say that the other players, or the other team, didn't have the help of the Lord also? Also when we say luck, that is a hold over from the pagan goddess of Rome, Fortuna,... more
- When I say something like that... Paradigm10, Thu May 10 20:56it's because I'm really very grateful in that moment. I'm just glad. I'm also very happy whenever anyone else is glad. There are enough opportunities in life to be miserable that my heart leaps for... more
- Yeah, yeah, I am....ever have one of those days..... clarym29, Wed May 9 20:38where some of the dumbest things just irritate you? Well, this is one of those days.
- Well sai ram, Wed May 9 22:16well, i've been irritated all day.....I don't pay much attention to my bank statements...today I did. I had started a new bank account at a new bank. I had written a couple of checks and never write... more
- This has been going on for several years now ... Baruch, Wed May 9 22:49not getting a full check back or even a photocopy of each check back. Really when corporations are persons, how much of a person do you think you rate as? Elephant to ant. Banks would prefer to have... more
- You can now get a card reader for your iPhone Frashavan, Thu May 10 06:47You too can accept credit!! Have the money directly deposited to your bank account. All for a mere 2.75% per transaction.
- And merchants can get a smartphone attachment ... Baruch, Thu May 10 06:59so if there are any credit cards left, you can swipe them to let fools purchase your junk. Shalom
- And the beat goes on....... clarym29, Wed May 9 22:40What a huge pain-in-the-butt!!!! Good luck in your tilting at windmills. :)