ipirate2Is hell anything like -- do unto others and love the sinner?Tue May 15, 2012 13:3318.104.22.168Is hell anything like -- do unto others and love the sinner?
Some more enlightened Christians are trying to mature Christianity.
The Christian invention of hell and Christian strong desire for it to exist, shows a hatred that is quite deep within the Christian tribal soul.
Jesus would not cast the first stone yet Christians adamantly demand that he cast the last killing stone called hell.
You will reap what you sow Christian.
This will be you unless you repent from your hating ways. You are corrupting Jesus and his good archetypal name.
I predict this following for you if you do not lose your hate for those who just happen by accident of birth to not believe as you do. Beware.
- I agree ... Baruch, Tue May 15 18:19on the other hand, the original, bodhisattva Avalokiteshvara, would say that with karma you get what you deserve, even though both punishment and reward are delusions ;-) The Jewish version seems too ... more
- Re: I agree ... ipirate2, Tue May 15 21:42Influenced perhapd but they never bought into such a repugnant concept from what I know of most of them. Regards DL
- It's still only a concept of the mind...not a fact! (nm) Kasey, Wed May 16 18:53
- Re: It's still only a concept of the mind...not a fact! ipirate2, Thu May 17 16:49No argument. Regards DL
- Buddha would say that the only fact ... Baruch, Wed May 16 22:13is a Potentiality aka Emptiness, from which all Actuality temporarily arises and falls. The Actuality that you consider real, Buddha would say is to contingent to be called real at all. And that the... more
- What "Is" is.... Frashavan, Thu May 17 07:46Why is there anything? Why is there "is"? The just-so story that is modern physics thinks that they have the answers; but how can you have an answer if you can't explain it in simple terms to a child ... more
- Even 6yr olds understand "make-believe"! (nm) Kasey, Thu May 17 20:35
- Yes, wise beyond their years ... Baruch, Thu May 17 21:21they discard the myths of childhood, only to adopt the myths of adulthood, like work, family and citizenship. Shalom
- Sometimes I wonder if you really do.... Kasey, Fri May 18 03:05live in the real practical world? Regards, Kasey
- I don't live in your subculture ... Baruch, Fri May 18 06:39It took a great deal of effort to escape the myths of adulthood, having spent 30 years learning them. But I haven't believed in Santa Claus for a long time, ever since I caught my father bringing in... more
- For many, life is but a dream! (nm) Kasey, Sat May 19 05:29
- For all ... Baruch, Sat May 19 15:54have pleasant dreams, and may any nightmares go away. Shalom
- Having seen the back of the funhouse... Frashavan, Fri May 18 07:22...some people think they understand the illusions. But they don't; knowing the people in the "It's a Small World" ride are animatronics doesn't free you from the illusion at all. As I have often... more
- When the Buddha became enlightened ... Baruch, Fri May 18 07:43he had defeated the god of illusion. But reality didn't cease to exist, as Hindus believe when Brahman wakes up from his dream. The Buddha went from being in the Matrix, and not knowing it, to being... more
- I know...I know Frashavan, Fri May 18 07:54I have explained all that, more times than I can count. But youth are impatient of Wisdom. What's worse is that they totally accept the mathematical model: the answer must be defined, and must be... more
- A curve fitted thru data ... Baruch, Thu May 17 18:00doesn't actually explain the data ... because more than one curve can be fitted, each with its own rationale. The most basic cosmological questions can't be answered by the scientific method, since... more
- It was pretty universal 2000 years ago ... Baruch, Wed May 16 05:54the Talmud and Aggada record it from Roman times. But most Jews have abandoned the Talmud and Aggada, and Torah for that matter, over the last 200 years. That is part of the incomprehension Jews have ... more
- Re: It was pretty universal 2000 years ago ... ipirate2, Wed May 16 10:13Yes. Christians and Muslims turned to idol worship while the Jews seek a better God than their God of war. God here I translate as a better set of rules and laws to live by. Regards DL
- Well the Jewish god of war was a failure (nm) Baruch, Wed May 16 17:18
- Tell that to Moshe Dayan. (nm) Frashavan, Wed May 16 18:22
- If the Jews had US backing 2000 years ago ... Baruch, Wed May 16 18:30the Romans would have had a harder time of it. Notice "Moshe" = "Moses" and "Dayan" = "Judge". Egyptians should have realized trouble was coming their way. Shalom
- Getting trapped in mythology Frashavan, Wed May 16 18:46I suspect that the Zealots wanted to reenact the Myth of the Maccabees. Had they coordinated their uprisings with Arsacid invasions, they would have achieved more success.
- Yes, the Persian faction among the Jews ... Baruch, Wed May 16 22:09really missed it ... though such an invasion did occur at the time that the young Prince Herod (of Bethlehem infamy) was forced from Palestine into temporary Roman exile, and his brother was killed... more
- I suspect that the Roman reaction to 70 CE and Bar Kochba .. Frashavan, Thu May 17 17:31...had more than a little to do with fearing a Persian ploy, if not outright involvement. Thus the banning of the Jews from Judea had more to do with disrupting a Parthian Fifth Column than may be... more
- "I Claudius" recreated them (nm) Baruch, Thu May 17 17:47
- And was an enjoyable fiction Frashavan, Fri May 18 08:01But the historian in me craves more. Just as I wish we had more ....
- The Christian "hell" is conflated from too many sources (nm) Frashavan, Tue May 15 17:46
- Re: The Christian "hell" is conflated from too many sources ipirate2, Tue May 15 21:44Yet the majority believe in Satan and hell. That is what happens from taking myths literally. Regards DL
- At least in the US ... Baruch, Wed May 16 05:56only the Fundies believe in Satan and Hell ... most have defected to "feel good" religion ... a bourgoise Manicheism. Shalom
- Benedict wants RCs to believe in Satan Frashavan, Wed May 16 13:39But I can't say he is making much impact in North America; and doubt he is making much progress in Europe, either. Of course, the RC hierarchy seems pretty much convinced the future of the Roman... more
- Yes, Christians are more conservative ... Baruch, Wed May 16 17:23in Third World countries, in all denominations. But then I think just as that creates centrifugal forces for the Anglicans, so also for the Catholics. This is what led to the split between Shia and... more
- Historians are, slowly, moving toward a more nuanced view Frashavan, Wed May 16 18:20I think this is, overall, a good thing. The Hitler as monster stuff that has dominated since the end of the war didn't help anyone who wanted to prevent fascism, or demagoguery, because it made... more
- BUT ON RACIAL OR RELIGIOUS TOPICS! (nm) Kasey, Thu May 17 03:23
- Correct, but deliberate propaganda ... Baruch, Wed May 16 18:42the intent was to immediately turn around W Germany, as a bulwark against Stalin and as the center-piece of NATO. So the non-Nazi Germans were immediately counted as "good" Germans ... and basically... more
- Don't forget that without the "bomb" Stalin would have.... Kasey, Sat May 19 05:36been well tempted to continue the advance westward by any means at his disposal, that's another factor in re-arming the Germans and rebuilding their shattered economy and self-image. Regards, Kasey
- True, but as duplicity ... Baruch, Sat May 19 15:56all the tactical nukes would have fell on German, from both sides. Shalom
- The extremists on FOX tap into a deep well Frashavan, Wed May 16 18:53The fact is nearly everyone has sympathy for the arguments "Taxes are too high!", "The government is too intrusive!" "Many government regulations are insane!"... The more they harp on those few... more
- Telling people what they want to hear ... Baruch, Wed May 16 22:17is the very meat of politics, red meat to carnivores. Also marketing to consumers who are equally bloody in tooth and claw. Americans are natural rebels if not anarchists. This is what plagued... more
- Largely a myth Frashavan, Thu May 17 07:41The American Revolution was really exchanging a distant landed gentry for a local one. The "rugged individualist" and "rebel" myths are just that, myths. Most people end up cheering for The Earps and ... more
- Re: At least in the US ... ipirate2, Wed May 16 10:10Yes. You will improve my vocabulary if my memory still works. Regards DL
- Notions of Hell ... Baruch, Tue May 15 18:09as an after-life place of punishment, originated in New Kingdom Egypt, including a classic Last Judgement. Prior to that time in Egypt, in the Old Kingdom for instance, only the Pharaoh really got an ... more
- Re: Notions of Hell ... ipirate2, Tue May 15 21:48Yes. It took many years to develop but only the Christians embraced it with open arms. Their hate seems quite ingrained. Regards DL
- Roman Mafia ... hate is necessary of the Other (nm) Baruch, Wed May 16 05:56
- Re: Roman Mafia ... hate is necessary of the Other ipirate2, Wed May 16 10:08Yes. They forgot that yin and yang are compliments to each other and not in opposition. Regards DL
- Except in the early case ... Baruch, Wed May 16 17:19of the Rape of the Sabine Women ... but the complimentarity was forced. Shalom
- Well, dang. It froze over already. ;D (nm) MN_Morgan, Tue May 15 18:50
- Indeed MN_Morgan, Tue May 15 14:08Wishing upon others, you bring it upon yourself, though you do not recognize it because you think it has another form than what you expected. Expecting that it is a real place, it is created for you... more
- A horticultural motif ... Baruch, Tue May 15 18:13plant brambles, and brambles will grow up, to the harm of all. Plant grapes and grapes will grow up, to the benefit of all. However I don't see it being tit for tat ... as karma requires. Shalom
- Never tit for tat MN_Morgan, Tue May 15 18:48Just a product of itself, hence why it is so in-discriminant as to who it affects.