FrashavanHistorians are, slowly, moving toward a more nuanced viewWed May 16, 2012 18:2099.235.84.63I think this is, overall, a good thing. The Hitler as monster stuff that has dominated since the end of the war didn't help anyone who wanted to prevent fascism, or demagoguery, because it made Hitler and the Nazis far more unique and one-off than they actually are.
But as Hannah Arendt discovered, the face of evil is, often, quite commonplace. (And, lord knows, she should have known since she went to bed with a Nazi. ) In all likelihood, if unaware most people would have stood Hitler to a round at the Burgerbraukeller, and, far to likely, would have found some points on which they agreed if the discussions turned political.
- Yes, Christians are more conservative ... Baruch, Wed May 16 17:23in Third World countries, in all denominations. But then I think just as that creates centrifugal forces for the Anglicans, so also for the Catholics. This is what led to the split between Shia and... more
- Historians are, slowly, moving toward a more nuanced view Frashavan, Wed May 16 18:20
- BUT ON RACIAL OR RELIGIOUS TOPICS! (nm) Kasey, Thu May 17 03:23
- Correct, but deliberate propaganda ... Baruch, Wed May 16 18:42the intent was to immediately turn around W Germany, as a bulwark against Stalin and as the center-piece of NATO. So the non-Nazi Germans were immediately counted as "good" Germans ... and basically... more
- Don't forget that without the "bomb" Stalin would have.... Kasey, Sat May 19 05:36been well tempted to continue the advance westward by any means at his disposal, that's another factor in re-arming the Germans and rebuilding their shattered economy and self-image. Regards, Kasey
- True, but as duplicity ... Baruch, Sat May 19 15:56all the tactical nukes would have fell on German, from both sides. Shalom
- The extremists on FOX tap into a deep well Frashavan, Wed May 16 18:53The fact is nearly everyone has sympathy for the arguments "Taxes are too high!", "The government is too intrusive!" "Many government regulations are insane!"... The more they harp on those few... more
- Telling people what they want to hear ... Baruch, Wed May 16 22:17is the very meat of politics, red meat to carnivores. Also marketing to consumers who are equally bloody in tooth and claw. Americans are natural rebels if not anarchists. This is what plagued... more
- Largely a myth Frashavan, Thu May 17 07:41The American Revolution was really exchanging a distant landed gentry for a local one. The "rugged individualist" and "rebel" myths are just that, myths. Most people end up cheering for The Earps and ... more