BaruchWell the ideal of progress ...Fri May 25, 2012 11:0618.104.22.168particularly irreversible progress, has been particularly hard hit for the last 100 years. Pretty only much nations like China, India and Brazil believe in the UN version of it, because they have to. The idea that their past history of missed opportunities or victimizations, have limited their ultimate presence on the world stage, is hard to accept. Just add Western technology, and everyone can go from the Middle Ages to the Computer Age, without having to go thru any of the nasty and unique historical struggles that Europe and N America have gone thru.
The problem for Europe and N America, is the idea on the one hand that the tragedy of WW I and WW II are still being paid for, vs the profits of WW I and WW II will continue to pay out indefinitely. There is no "saved life" button for history, if we have realized we made some dumb moves at some previous point. What my computer games also show, is that one's circumstances, as well as what one does with those circumstances, determines the outcome of the game ... the circumstances one gets stuck with whether favorable or unfavorable, and what one does with it is often equally constrained. Some people inevitably are Gauls and some are Romans. People are not created equal, though all are images of G-d.
Of course the arrogant automatically assume they are Romans and the other guys are Barbarians ... but it often isn't so ... it is just losers against losers. Monarchy is endemic to the human condition, as Roman Republicans understood it, hence their failed attempt to institutionalize the defeat of monarchy. Democracy is only attractive under Girondist conditions, possible in America, but not in France. America is becoming much more like France. If "soft" democracy hadn't come to the Brits in the 19th century, they would have blown up in revolution too. They may finally be nearing their Bastille Day yet, because of the incompetence of their last several governments.
Speaking of the Left ... I was thrilled by push-back in France, but what do you think of all the demos in Quebec? Will the students get anywhere, will there be a 1968 for them?
Well Paul was a quisling, so he has been quite useful post-mortem to the authorities everywhere, even in my own synagogue. If the US elects an explicit anti-semite, I think his "G-d puts all authorities in office" dogma will be in for a test. American political-economics is our religion, the Bible is only a fig leaf for Anglo-American Israelitism.
- Should man rule over women for women’s own good? ipirate2, Thu May 24 18:30Should man rule over women for women’s own good? Scriptures, and other myth’s, say that God determined that men should rule over women. This gives form, --- in a demographic sense, ---- to our common ... more
- What's far more disturbing... Frashavan, Fri May 25 08:20...is that we had gotten to a place where the idea that some we "born to rule" others had pretty much died out. Now, thanks to idiots on both the left and right, who have done more to undermine... more
- Re: What's far more disturbing... ipirate2, Sat May 26 11:52This clip proves you are right from. FMPOV, people follow tradition and society and not religions even as they lie and say they are believers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV2VjdpVonY Regards DL
- Dawkins does love to give fatuous examples Frashavan, Sat May 26 12:21I agree, people follow the tradition they know, and rarely bother pushing outside the box. On the occasions they do, they simply establish a new tradition amongst whomsoever they convince.
- Re: Dawkins does love to give fatuous examples ipirate2, Sun May 27 14:55No argument. Regards DL
- THAT GOD WAS INVENTED JUST FOR CONTROL PURPOSES! (nm) Kasey, Sat May 26 06:26
- Male gods always approve of what men do ... Baruch, Sat May 26 07:08actions by whom do you suppose goddesses approve? Shalom
- Proving the gender of any god is as.... Kasey, Sun May 27 07:24difficult as that of its existence at all. But if it's similar to the hermaphrodite fish which exist, when necessary, the dominant female can convert its gender as can the dominant male in a... more
- And this is why... Frashavan, Sat May 26 15:31..I have stopped responding to Kasey's posts in any way. Her one liners bear no relationship to what people post. And now she's started doing all caps, too.
- Well the ideal of progress ... Baruch, Fri May 25 11:06
- But for US intervention ..... Kasey, Sun May 27 07:30in WW1, the Brits' R.F's. would have gone the same way as the monarchies of Europe. Regards, Kasey
- Yes, but was the Zimmerman telegram a clever forgery? Baruch, Sun May 27 08:04It was provided by British Naval Intelligence to Washington DC (who were pretty unsophisticated in the spy business at the time ... a somewhat later Sec of State said that gentlemen would never open... more
- If legit, then Wilhelmstrasse wasn't playing with .... Frashavan, Sun May 27 19:22... a full deck. Or Wilhelm wasn't, which is much the same thing. Certainly, the Germans had been trying to stir up the Mexicans against the USA for a while, but if they seriously thought that the... more
- Despairation and arrogance can be vital factors... Kasey, Fri Jun 1 08:28in a war situation assessment. Maybe they thought eventual US involvement was inevitable, and any distraction from the Mexicans and the Japanese [even then] would delay the US effect in Europe, to... more
- Barbara Tuchman's book ... Baruch, Mon May 28 08:01is a little too credulous. The British conspired for years to get the US on their side, instead of Germany's. At that time I would have been opposed to either side, both being aggressive. The... more
- It's the whole prodigal son thing Frashavan, Mon May 28 10:06Of course the British want the Americans on their side...the father in the story ordered the fatted calf to be killed, after all. The British will do any number of things to get the US on side, and... more
- MItchell Palmer Frashavan, Mon May 28 09:12A lot of the papers were shut down during the Red Scare, though, not so much for being German, as for having socialist cred. I'm not sure what happened in the USA, but I know that, here in Canada,... more
- This was from WW I, right? Baruch, Mon May 28 11:12Reparations going back to WW I in the US, would be unthinkable. Shalom
- Well sai ram, Thu May 24 20:35when we return to the stone age.....and probably will at some point....men will rule over women just like it was then....and women will need the protection of men...from men....we are an animal... more
- Re: Well ipirate2, Sat May 26 11:56Yet in the early days, before weapons could kill humans, the world revered the Goddesses and not a God. Ancient status of fertility Goddess's are way older than the male Gods. Regards DL
- Blame the horse ... Baruch, Sat May 26 13:52from the Indo-Iranian "maryannu" or chariot-warriors of the late Bronze Age, until the Western cowboys of the 19th century ... the horse has facilitated both war and patriarchy. The cows are... more
- Speaking of the horse Frashavan, Mon May 28 09:37The latest anthropological theory is that it was the domestication of the dog that gave modern humans the edge over neanderthals.
- Yes, the Neanderthals couldn't outrun our pit bulls ;-( (nm) Baruch, Mon May 28 11:26
- Modern people don't rule ... Baruch, Thu May 24 19:05they capitalize. Women are particularly good at capitalizing on men ;-) Well these are ideal Iron Age stereotype men and women. But not only are we not in the early Iron Age (but toward the end of... more
- SOME MEN LIKE TOTAL CONTROL.... Kasey, Sat May 26 06:33Just as the three cruelest nations on earth, towards chickens, have just moved to total caged-egg production and phased out any "free-range"commercial production....Guess which ones??? China,Japan... more
- Having gone sai ram, Sat May 26 15:05having gone vegetarian, I've try to help out the chickens and the pigs by reducing the need by one......however, having just got back from my farm in Iowa, I brought back some good old Iowa pork for... more
- Turkeys suffer, just looking in the mirror ;-) (nm) Baruch, Sat May 26 21:00
- Men as in men and women? Baruch, Sat May 26 07:14Or are you sexist? Some men do what they do because they want do, others do it to please their women, or to stop the nagging. In any case, women usually benefit from what men do, moral or not. Well... more