FrashavanThoughts at the end of May -- graduation timeSat May 26, 2012 15:44184.108.40.206Myself when young did eagerly frequent
Doctor and Saint, and heard great Argument
About it and about: but evermore
Came out by the same Door as in I went.
With them the Seed of Wisdom did I sow,
And with my own hand labour'd it to grow:
And this was all the Harvest that I reap'd---
"I came like Water, and like Wind I go."
- Amen to that ;-) (nm) Baruch, Sat May 26 20:57
- If it hadn't been for Khayyam... Frashavan, Sat May 26 21:38... I would not have survived adolescence. Those who dismiss him (or, at least Fitzgerald's translation/interpretation of him) as mere epicurian drivel are, IMHO, not reading him closely.
- Are you sure we're not twins? (nm) Mirage, Sat Jun 2 01:45
- Was he important to you, too? Frashavan, Sat Jun 2 07:25That's interesting...
- Oh yes, oh yes, still helps sometimes. Mirage, Sat Jun 2 11:07I'm sort of surprised if you're surprised, actually. I have the translation of The Rubaiyat that I have since learned is considered by many to be utterly bastardized, though. :( I've been sort of... more
- I like the Fitzgerald version Frashavan, Sat Jun 2 19:26All the translations "interpret" rather than do word for word translation, as far as I can see. Fitzgerald worked and worked at his translations, trying to get them close to the originals but having... more
- Have read several translations of Gilgamesh ... Baruch, Sat Jun 2 12:32but the most scholarly (showing my prejudice) is the Penguin Classic edition by Andrew George. It has the gaps where there are gaps, the repetitions where there are repetitions (this was probably for ... more
- The Iranian govt. aren't keen on his influence today. (nm) Kasey, Mon May 28 03:12
- Perhaps ... Baruch, Mon May 28 05:01I have heard that Persians today are still readers of poetry, so I don't see any reason why. Ferdowsi, Khayyam and Hafez are some of the greats of Persian literature, and originally, Iranian Shiism,... more
- Iranians are great lovers of poetry Frashavan, Mon May 28 06:06Some of Khayyam's stuff -- his celebration of love and the vine, for example -- might raise the ire of more literally minded puritans, a group that Kasey has a good deal in common with! But, as you... more
- Saved by Persian Sufism? Baruch, Sun May 27 00:44I can't judge Fitzgerald's translation, other than I like it, but there are people opposed to the coded worldliness of Khayyam's lines, as having not enough Islam in them, not enough sand. One can... more
- Khayyam was always suspect Frashavan, Mon May 28 06:21After all, he was an associate of the Hashshashins, something he had trouble living down, even in his day.
- Maybe self preservation ... Baruch, Mon May 28 15:10if I knew Mafia people, I don't think it is possible to un-know them ;-( Shalom
- Education sai ram, Sat May 26 16:23what I learned in a school environment that really helped in life was the type of kids there.....the pettiness....the mean ones...the nice ones....the two faced ones.....meeting and learning about... more
- The proper study of man, is man (nm) Baruch, Sat May 26 20:59