KaseyDespairation and arrogance can be vital factors...Fri Jun 1, 2012 08:2822.214.171.124in a war situation assessment. Maybe they thought eventual US involvement was inevitable, and any distraction from the Mexicans and the Japanese [even then] would delay the US effect in Europe, to allow victory on the Western front, and thus end the war....Only effective if done in absolute secrecy as a feeler. When the diplomat involved admitted it, the game was up.
- If legit, then Wilhelmstrasse wasn't playing with .... Frashavan, Sun May 27 19:22... a full deck. Or Wilhelm wasn't, which is much the same thing. Certainly, the Germans had been trying to stir up the Mexicans against the USA for a while, but if they seriously thought that the... more
- Despairation and arrogance can be vital factors... Kasey, Fri Jun 1 08:28
- Barbara Tuchman's book ... Baruch, Mon May 28 08:01is a little too credulous. The British conspired for years to get the US on their side, instead of Germany's. At that time I would have been opposed to either side, both being aggressive. The... more
- It's the whole prodigal son thing Frashavan, Mon May 28 10:06Of course the British want the Americans on their side...the father in the story ordered the fatted calf to be killed, after all. The British will do any number of things to get the US on side, and... more
- MItchell Palmer Frashavan, Mon May 28 09:12A lot of the papers were shut down during the Red Scare, though, not so much for being German, as for having socialist cred. I'm not sure what happened in the USA, but I know that, here in Canada,... more
- This was from WW I, right? Baruch, Mon May 28 11:12Reparations going back to WW I in the US, would be unthinkable. Shalom