FrashavanLike most literate people you...Sat Jun 2, 2012 17:34220.127.116.11...overestimate the prevalence of literacy. People routinely estimate that less 1% - less than 5% of the population is illiterate. But anyone who's looked into the problem knows that it is about 20% (varying from the completely unlettered to those who can write their own names and read the most simple words, but not comprehend longer words or sentences). Then there are the functionally illiterate -- anyone with a reading level below Tenth Grade; that's a good 20-25% of the population.
Those figures are absolutely horrendous. But, they also mean that almost half of the population is actually still living in a pre-literate world.
- Most of our ancestors were illiterate ... Baruch, Sat Jun 2 10:40we don't have that excuse. Shalom
- Like most literate people you... Frashavan, Sat Jun 2 17:34
- Yes, and we discount them immensely. (nm) Mirage, Sun Jun 3 01:06
- One of the greatest good deeds ... Baruch, Sat Jun 2 20:46is to volunteer to teach people to read. So much more important than TV. My teaching Hebrew is a special form of that. Shalom
- I agree, to a point. Wish I could agree 100% Mirage, Sun Jun 3 02:28I've been involved in reading programs a couple of times, despite my dyslexia. Actually, my dyslexia was what qualified me. The kids I was asked to help were dyslexic, and the idea was to have older... more
- Require internet auto-pay? Baruch, Sun Jun 3 09:14Yes, I wouldn't like that. I avoided auto-deposit of my paycheck until last year. The paper check kept getting deposited late! I don't allow any auto-withdrawls from my accounts (with the exception... more
- Am thinking of some others Mirage, Sun Jun 3 09:23Irish, Native Americans, Aboriginal Australians, for example. Many lost languages and many lost cultural history.