FrashavanI have to disagreeTue Jun 5, 2012 19:5818.104.22.168As the parent of children with special needs, I know that integrating them into the regular school makes a big difference in their lives. Eli is desperate to be friends with other, "normal" kids and is making great strides, both socially and educationally, that he would not have made in a "home" or segregated school.
People who assume that kids with special needs can't learn anything are certainly in error. That one child may not learn at the same rate as another doesn't mean they are not learning, nor that the state should be exempt from providing them and education simply because they don't meet arbitrary milestones. One would not, for example, say that the state shouldn't provide sidewalks for people who walk more slowly than others due to some physical incapacity -- the school is merely the path to a destination.
The costs of integrating these kids are not higher than maintaining segregated schools -- the children need the same support regardless of where they are, after all. In fact, since the regular schools are larger, and offer more services with greater economies of scale, the cost is demonstrably lower.
People scapegoat people with disabilities all the time. I'm sorry, that is shameful, and wrong. Taken to it's conclusion, it leads to euthanizing all the people who do not fill a narrow definition of "normal"; that is the path the Nazis went down -- quite literally, that is not hyperbole -- and seems to be a path that way to many people in the West are willing to follow. It isn't "common sense" at all; common sense says that separate and unequal is wrong, an offense against everything decent. Common sense says that you can judge the character of an individual or a society by how they treat the weak.
Honestly, Sai Ram, that is the most disappointing thing you have ever posted that it has been my misfortune to read. I am disgusted.
- Here in Broken Arrow, OK sai ram, Tue Jun 5 09:14they spend a large amount getting help for the Hispanic kids in school.....special teachers..etc.....but no other minority gets this treatment....we also have children almost competely comatose... more
- I have to disagree Frashavan, Tue Jun 5 19:58
- Well sai ram, Tue Jun 5 20:47I'll tell you what is disgusting.....to place a handicapped child in with normal children (whatever normal is) and having the normal child making fun of the handicapped child.....children can be very ... more
- Lack of funds for schools ... Baruch, Tue Jun 5 21:36shouldn't be balanced on the backs of those handicapped who can benefit from it. There are ways to teach more cheaply, particularly in college and the upper grades, inertia is preventing the... more
- The problem is sai ram, Tue Jun 5 22:23the Judge who ruled that everyone should be in the school system.....didn't make exceptions for the severely handicapped...one rule fits all....no common sense allowed...so we have some children who... more