BaruchMathematicians are idealists too ...Fri Jul 6, 2012 08:06126.96.36.199The Langlands program is the mathematicians equivalent of the on-going physics program of elementary particle unification that the LHC provides data for.
The Fields medal is the equivalent of the Nobel for physicists.
This is Pythagoras/Thales to the nth degree ... and involve the same assumptions that Pythagoras and Thales made 2500 years ago.
- More than one assumption usually ... Baruch, Fri Jul 6 07:43while empirical backing is a good thing, that empirical data has to be interpreted. And the interpretation of data, from say the LHC, is a very complicated business. Of course in that case, no less... more
- How do you have more than one assumption.... Kasey, Fri Jul 6 08:48that a creator god, by whatever name, actually exists? Regards, Kasey
- Lecture on QM by Google software engineer ... Baruch, Fri Jul 6 11:33http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEaecUuEqfc This covers the present "spookiness" of QM. There is something illogical about the conventional understanding of QM, and he has a go at determining what the ... more
- Most of the lecture is based on photons ... Baruch, Fri Jul 6 12:32and photons have really odd behavior compared to ordinary matter like electrons. In classical mechanics, if you try to deal with EM waves, you end up with infinities (this also happens with rest mass ... more
- Do you regard any assumption as a theory??? (nm) Kasey, Sat Jul 7 03:27
- Definitions ... Baruch, Sat Jul 7 06:56Per Physics: hypothesis = concept developed by the imagination, that is potentially repeatable, quantifiable and confirmable by public observation, Higgs boson for example theory = hypothesis... more
- And for a god or gods assumption???? (nm) Kasey, Sat Jul 7 09:09
- End of lecture ... Baruch, Fri Jul 6 12:13it applies to consciousness, just as the Schroedinger's Cat thought experiment applies to what consciousness is in a non-sensical way. In summary, human consciousness is a Turing Computer simulation... more
- Theology is a branch of Metaphysics ... Baruch, Fri Jul 6 09:48just as Quantum Theory is a branch of Physics ;-) What is common to both situations is that we have some data, which in general might be either rational nor quantitative (what I dreamed last night)... more
- Mathematicians are idealists too ... Baruch, Fri Jul 6 08:06