MirageSome linksMon Aug 27, 2012 08:42220.127.116.11Carriers of the Dream Wheel had an immense effect on me when I was a teen and found it in a bookstore that was going out of business. Used copies are affordable. I think my poetry still bears marks left by this book.
It's so interesting that he is concerned he might offend Buddhists. He's probably thinking of Madonna and the controversy surrounding her forays into Kabbalah. Maybe you can explain the difference to him?
Odd recommendation perhaps, or perhaps not:
Reads like a supernova. He has probably read it, though.
I wonder if perhaps he may be in the situation I was in for many years. I thought I didn't want organized religion because it was too much for me, but then I gradually realized that the opposite was true. My few brushes with it hadn't been too much, they were not enough. They weren't torrid or mystical or liminal or transcendant enough. Nothing against the churches I had visited. They were just very cozy and safe and as a poet I felt like a stranger in those places.
Have you seen Kerouac's haiku? Here is one:
''The windmills/of Oklahoma look/in every direction.''
Yep, he totally ignored rules of haiku, but for me, I think the content is more true to haiku than most American ones are.
- Long Range Recon Patrol wolf, Fri Aug 24 17:56Long Range Recon Patrol Thought for the day: “Strangers are just friends waiting to happen.” Author unknown After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before... more
- Wolfie my man sai ram, Wed Aug 29 13:32right on.....how many times have we all felt as lambs among the wolves?....and it seems we have no shortage of wolves out there either....sai ram
- Respect Mirage, Sun Aug 26 00:26Thanks for this. I don't think I have ever saluted a person because for me it wouldn't be appropriate. I have no military background. However, practicing respect I think must surely be appropriate... more
- Hope you are well also ;-) (nm) Baruch, Sun Aug 26 00:33
- Trying Mirage, Sun Aug 26 00:51It's difficult for me to write these days. Still praying a lot, though. :)
- New year, new relationships ... Baruch, Sun Aug 26 21:55I am presently trying to teach a secular Jew to pray ... that is a real mitzvah I think. Shalom
- Oh wow. Mirage, Mon Aug 27 00:22I am curious, if he is secular, why does he wish to pray?
- Applied psychology ... Baruch, Mon Aug 27 06:57determine the psychological need, determine the treatment, apply the treatment. I am not the doctor, just getting him to self-doctor. He is mostly interested in Maya Indians (he and his wife have... more
- Some links Mirage, Mon Aug 27 08:42
- Thanks ;-) (nm) Baruch, Mon Aug 27 18:07
- PS - on a more personal front ... Baruch, Mon Aug 27 07:09My present girl friend (not girlfriend yet), we have a long distant relationship (90 miles). She is of French descent and very interested in French culture. So we are going to make things more... more
- Re: PS - on a more personal front ... Mirage, Mon Aug 27 09:13I had 7 years of French and tutoring by a UN translator who was a friend of my mother's. Unfortunately a lot of it was lost over time and due to brain injuries since then. Sometimes it comes back... more
- I have said did I not ... Baruch, Mon Aug 27 18:01that I stuttered all thru school until I was a Sophomore in HS? Took public speaking class in 9th grade, it helped a lot. If your sister is interested, I can share the URLs I have found for Mayan. I... more
- Re: I have said did I not ... Mirage, Mon Aug 27 18:32Ah, yes, now I remember that you were a stutterer too. Did you also stammer? I did, was a double whammy. Told my sister about the poem project and she's too intimidated to write a poem. She reads a... more
- Stammer vs stutter, different? Baruch, Mon Aug 27 21:56http://www.lexilogos.com/english/maya_dictionary.htm - they do Nahuatl too (Aztec) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proto-Mayan - this relates the dialects, and more resources at the bottom In some... more
- Re: Stammer vs stutter, different? Mirage, Tue Aug 28 09:26I've written music but it is difficult for me to do so on demand. My inspiration tends to come out of nowhere, some sort of muse tied with my emotions. As a child I read an interview with an Aleutian ... more
- Guess I was a stutterer ... Baruch, Tue Aug 28 20:11I knew clearly what I wanted to say, but my diaphram and mouth wouldn't cooperate. It wasn't associated with being startled ... but from anticipation of speaking in public. With stammering it sounds... more
- While sai ram, Wed Aug 29 13:37While I never had a stutter...I did have a hard time pronouncing certain words....and actually had to have a special teacher...I still can butcher up some words pretty good today.....I think the... more
- Re: While Mirage, Thu Aug 30 02:57One major cause of speech problems is when handedness is messed with. I am betting people tried to get you to use your right hand when you were young. I was pretty close to ambidextrous so even... more
- Good app for practicing. Mirage, Mon Aug 27 15:59I adore this thing. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sayhi-translate-use-your-voice/id437818260?mt=8 There may be an android version, but I don't know. I think I remember you are a Mac person. No Mayan ... more
- “Strangers are just friends waiting to happen.” Paradigm10, Sat Aug 25 22:35Metaphorically speaking, every Christian is a soldier in God's army. Your military analogy works well for missionary work. The missionary needs support from behind the lines. The current assistant... more
- Re: “Strangers are just friends waiting to happen.” Mirage, Sun Aug 26 00:49Great story. We used to have a Muslim poster here who belonged to a minority sect, and this apparently put him in danger. He posted once a somewhat similar story of turning neighbors who wanted to... more
- Re: “Strangers are just friends waiting to happen.” wolf, Sun Aug 26 00:00"Although the priests primary mission was to spread the love of God, he said that at first he spoke very little of God, preferring instead to simply befriend and to help the people" "For if any be a... more
- Build up peace ... Baruch, Sat Aug 25 23:00but to do that, you have to build up community ... but to do that you have to build up family ... but to do that you have to build up livelihood ... but to do that you have to build up character.... more
- Thanks for sharing ;-) Baruch, Fri Aug 24 20:07Automatic fear of strangers, leading to violence, was the barbaric habit of the ancients, and still lives in us today. Shalom