By WHITNEY PANDIL-EATON, Staff Writer, MinotDailyNProtestor goes to court Man arrested at silo to face federalFri May 14, 2010 00:4222.214.171.124Protestor goes to court
Man arrested at silo to face federal charges
By WHITNEY PANDIL-EATON, Staff Writer, MinotDailyNews.com
April 17, 2010
The man arrested Thursday at a Minuteman III launch site near Parshall will face federal charges.
James Richard Sauder, 55, of San Antonio, Texas, was arrested after allegedly scaling the fence of the H-8 missile silo southwest of Parshall to conduct a peaceful protest against nuclear weapons.
He was initially charged with criminal trespass, a Class C felony, and spent the night in the Mountrail County jail in Stanley.
Special Agent E.K. Wilson of the FBI said Sauder has been charged with one count of federal criminal trespass and was taken into federal custody Friday afternoon.
Wilson said a criminal complaint filed Friday morning was pending, but would not speculate on any additional charges.
Dressed in a green plaid, button-up shirt and khakis, under which ankle shackles could be seen, Sauder made his initial court appearance Friday afternoon at the U.S. District Courthouse in Minot in front of Magistrate Judge Charles S. Miller Jr. via videoconference.
Throughout the 45-minute hearing, Sauder repeatedly interrupted Miller by raising issues of jurisdiction, intent and his right to trial by jury, all of which were rebuffed until the appropriate hearing.
Sauder was appointed a public defender and was placed in the custody of the Attorney General until a detention hearing is held on Monday. He'll remain in custody until then in the Ward County Jail.
No trial date has been set.
This is not Sauder's first run in with the law, said Attorney Francis A. Boyle.
Boyle said he represented Sauder in 1982 when Sauder performed a similar demonstration at a missile launch facility at Whiteman Air Force Base in Missouri.
Sauder was charged with federal criminal trespass, found guilty and served six months in prison, he added.
Minus the occasional letter, Boyle said he had not spoken to Sauder for nearly three decades before receiving a phone call Thursday asking him to represent Sauder.
"People like Richard and the Ploughshares and others are some of the most principled people I've ever been fortunate enough to meet and I believe they have a right to peaceful, non-violent, prayerful demonstration against weapons of massive destruction and genocide," Boyle said. "
The future of humanity is at stake here and Richard and those like Richard out there are trying to do something."
A law professor at the University of Illinois, Boyle is a scholar in the areas of international law and human rights.
An author, Boyle's Protesting Power: War, Resistance and Law (Rowman & Littlefield Inc. 2007) has been used successfully in anti-war protest trials, according to the school's Web site.
Boyle said he has represented numerous similar cases involving peaceful protests against nuclear weapons.
"It was a very thoughtful, prayerful act at an Indian reservation, I do that myself at church. I don't understand why praying on a silo is a threat to anyone it's simply mindboggling" Boyle said. "
It's criminal what those missiles represent. Praying is the most effective tool we have right now to fight these Nazi-type weapons of genocide."
- Man arrested at missile silo By WHITNEY PANDIL-EATON, Staff Writer MinotDailyNe, Fri May 14 00:40Man arrested at missile silo By WHITNEY PANDIL-EATON, Staff Writer MinotDailyNews.com April 16, 2010 PARSHALL Air Force security personnel, Mountrail County Sheriff's Department, Three Affiliated... more
- Official: Machine was origin of NH explosions The Associated Press, Sun May 16 03:15From The Denver Post online Official: Machine was origin of NH explosions The Associated Press Posted: 05/16/2010 12:02:33 AM MDT Updated: 05/16/2010 01:54:48 AM MDT COLEBROOK, N.H.—The investigation ... more
- : US executes Afghan prisoners Seymour Hersh, an investigative journalist with th, Mon May 17 01:51Hersh: US executes Afghan prisoners Sat, 15 May 2010 16:48:27 GMT Font size : [Increase] [Normal] [Decrease] The notorious Bagram prison, north of Kabul As the Afghan occupation continues to prove... more
- Inside the Secret Interrogation Facility at Bagram Marc Ambinder , Mon May 17 02:00Inside the Secret Interrogation Facility at Bagram May 14 2010, 8:03 AM ET | Comment The Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) runs a classified interrogation facility for high-value detainees inside... more
- Proposal Would Delay Hearings in Terror Cases CHARLIE SAVAGE, Mon May 17 03:02Proposal Would Delay Hearings in Terror Cases By CHARLIE SAVAGE Published: May 14, 2010 WASHINGTON — President Obama’s legal advisers are considering asking Congress to allow the government to detain ... more
- Top pay for top jobs CEOs of Chicago area firms had an up-an BY SANDRA GUY Sun-Times Columnist, Mon May 17 06:01Top pay for top jobs CEOs of Chicago area firms had an up-and-down year as recession reigned Comments May 17, 2010 BY SANDRA GUY Sun-Times Columnist Half of the Chicago region's multimillion-dollar... more
- Silo fire survivor tells his story By LINDA HICKS, Mon May 17 21:49Silo fire survivor tells his story By LINDA HICKS Searcy Daily Citizen, May 7, 2000 "It sounded like whoosh, kind of like when a gas stove lights," said Gary Lay of Little Rock, describing the last... more
- Titan II Accident McConnell AFB, Kansas 1978 The MIlitary Standard-Titan II, Mon May 17 22:45Titan II Accident McConnell AFB, Kansas 1978 The most dangerous part of the Titan II system from the maintenance standpoint were the propellants. Both were extremely toxic. The oxidizer, nitrogen... more
- Who Wants this American Dead? Jeff Gates, Mon May 17 23:17May 16, 2010 by Jeff Gates Who Wants this American Dead? Why kill Anwar al-Awlaki, an American who inspired the Times Square Fizzler and advised the Crotch Bomb Sizzler? This Islamic preacher is “out ... more
- Detroit police kill seven-year-old child By Jerry White , Mon May 17 22:16Detroit police kill seven-year-old child By Jerry White 17 May 2010 Detroit police shot and killed a seven-year-old girl during an early morning raid of a home on the city’s east side Sunday morning. ... more
- Protestor goes to court Man arrested at silo to face federal By WHITNEY PANDIL-EATON, Staff Writer, MinotDailyN, Fri May 14 00:42
- Man accused of silo trespass pleads not guilty By Whitney Pandil-Eaton, Staff Writer, Fri May 14 00:44Man accused of silo trespass pleads not guilty Trial date set By Whitney Pandil-Eaton, Staff Writer email@example.com POSTED: April 20, 2010 The man charged with trespassing on an Air... more
- Nuclear protester outlines own defense By WHITNEY PANDIL-EATON Staff Writer, Fri May 14 00:47Nuclear protester outlines own defense By WHITNEY PANDIL-EATON Staff Writer wpandileaton @minotdailynews.com POSTED: May 12, 2010 RUGBY With little more than a week to go before the man accused of... more
- LARGE FLAG SHAPE OBJECT, 2 SAUCER SHAPES NEAR BY UFO Stalker MUFON, Sun May 16 09:45Case Number: 23311 Log Number: GB-05162010-0005 Submitted Date: 2010-05-16 05:47 GMT Event Date: 2010-05-15 14:00 GMT Status: Submitted City: DUNSTABLE Country: GB Longitude: -71.4983 Latitude:... more
- Cute pix Surfer, Mon May 17 08:07http://pragyan.org/10/home/partners/motorola_3.jpg " alt="http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1GJW7YB6Z8NkNM: http://pragyan.org/10/home/partners/motorola_3.jpg ">
- Dr. Richard Sauder Arrested Richard Dolan, Fri May 14 00:51Dr. Richard Sauder Arrested April 18, 2010. Dr. Richard Sauder, author of several books on secret underground bases, was arrested for peacefully protesting at a Minuteman III nuclear missile launch... more