"Remember your humanity, and forget the rest."Sun Jun 3, 2012 11:31188.8.131.52Russell–Einstein Manifesto
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Russell-Einstein Manifesto)
This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources.
Unsourced material may be challenged and removed.
The Russell–Einstein Manifesto was issued in London on July 9, 1955 by Bertrand Russell in the midst of the Cold War.
It highlighted the dangers posed by nuclear weapons and called for world leaders to seek peaceful resolutions to international conflict.
The signatories included eleven pre-eminent intellectuals and scientists, including Albert Einstein, who signed it just days before his death on April 18, 1955.
A few days after the release, philanthropist Cyrus S. Eaton offered to sponsor a conference—called for in the manifesto—in Pugwash, Nova Scotia, Eaton's birthplace.
This conference was to be the first of the Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs, held in July 1957.
2 Press conference, July 9, 1955
4 The beginnings of the Pugwash Conferences
5 Signatories to the manifesto
6 See also
8 External links
Main articles: History of nuclear weapons and Atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
The first detonation of an atomic weapon took place on July 16, 1945 in the desert north of Alamogordo, New Mexico.
On August 6, 1945, the U.S. dropped Little Boy on the Japanese city of Hiroshima and, three days later, Fat Man on Nagasaki.
At least 100,000 civilians were killed outright by these two bombings.
On August 18, 1945, the Glasgow Forward published the first known recorded comment by Bertrand Russell on atomic weapons, which he began composing the day Nagasaki was bombed.
It contained threads that would later appear in the manifesto: "The prospect for the human race is sombre beyond all precedent.
Mankind are faced with a clear-cut alternative: either we shall all perish, or we shall have to acquire some slight degree of common sense.
A great deal of new political thinking will be necessary if utter disaster is to be averted."
After learning of the bombing of Hiroshima and seeing an impending nuclear arms race, Joseph Rotblat, the only scientist to leave the Manhattan Project on moral grounds, remarked that he "became worried about the whole future of mankind."
Over the years that followed Russell and Rotblat worked on efforts to curb nuclear proliferation, collaborating with Albert Einstein and other scientists to compose what became known as the Russell–Einstein Manifesto.
Press conference, July 9, 1955
The manifesto was released during a press conference at Caxton Hall, London.
Rotblat, who chaired the meeting, describes it as follows: "... It was thought that only a few of the Press would turn up and a small room was booked in Caxton Hall for the Press Conference.
But it soon became clear that interest was increasing and the next larger room was booked.
In the end the largest room was taken and on the day of the Conference this was packed to capacity with representatives of the press, radio and television from all over the world.
After reading the Manifesto, Russell answered a barrage of questions from members of the press, some of whom were initially openly hostile to the ideas contained in the Manifesto.
Gradually, however, they became convinced by the forcefulness of his arguments, as was evident in the excellent reporting in the Press, which in many cases gave front page coverage."
Russell had begun the conference by stating:
"I am bringing the warning pronounced by the signatories to the notice of all the powerful Governments of the world in the earnest hope that they may agree to allow their citizens to survive."
The manifesto called for a conference where scientists would assess the dangers posed to the survival of humanity by weapons of mass destruction (then only considered to be nuclear weapons).
Emphasis was placed on the meeting being politically neutral.
It extended the question of nuclear weapons to all people and governments.
One particular phrase is quoted often, including by Rotblat upon receipt of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1995:
"Remember your humanity, and forget the rest."
The beginnings of the Pugwash Conferences
The manifesto called for an international conference, and was originally planned by Jawaharlal Nehru to be held in India.
This was delayed by the outbreak of the Suez Crisis.
Aristotle Onassis offered to finance a meeting in Monaco, but this was rejected.
Instead, Cyrus Eaton, a Canadian industrialist who had known Russell since 1938, offered to finance the conference in his hometown of Pugwash, Nova Scotia.
The Russell–Einstein Manifesto became the Pugwash Conferences' founding charter.
The first of the conferences was held in July 1957.
Signatories to the manifesto
Percy W. Bridgman
Herman J. Muller
Cecil F. Powell
Ten of the eleven signatories of the Russell–Einstein Manifesto are Nobel Laureates, the exception being Leopold Infeld.
Mutually Assured Destruction
The Origins of the Russell–Einstein Manifesto, by Sandra Ionno Butcher, May 2005.
The First Pugwash Conference.
Pugwash and Russell's Legacy by John R. Lenz.
Science and World Affairs: history of the Pugwash Conferences, 1962, by Professor J. Rotblatt
Wikisource has original text related to this article:
Op-Ed: The 50-Year Shadow by Joseph Rotblat, New York Times, May 17, 2005.
Meeting the Russell–Einstein Challenge to Humanity by David Krieger, October 2004.
The Origins of the Russell-Einstein Manifesto, by Sandra Ionno Butcher,
Pugwash History Series, Number One (364K PDF) May 2005 (The text of the manifesto appears in Appendix A)
- THE CURE FOR AUTISM UPDATE 2 William Mount, Tue May 29 18:43For those who are new: We have been working with a doctor who's 8year old child is autistic. In 8 years - not one word This doctor did everything the "Medical Community" can do. Along comes Dr. Mount ... more
- USS Estes (AGC-12) - Agent Orange and Heart Problems APFN, Wed May 30 16:19Agent Orange and Heart Problems] RE: USS Estes (AGC-12) -------- Original Message -------- Subject: [Fwd: Agent Orange and Heart Problems] Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:18:06 -0700 From: MCAC... more
- Agent Orange: Alphabetized Ships List watchman08, Wed May 30 17:55Monsanto and Dow Chemical = AGENT ORANGE As so often happens in war, the weapons you employ against an enemy often end up harming yourselves. “I got killed in Vietnam. I just didn’t know it at the... more
- Huge UFO flying over San Antonio, Texas 27-May-2012 Latest UFO Sightings, Thu May 31 08:21THURSDAY, MAY 31, 2012 Huge UFO flying over San Antonio, Texas 27-May-2012 UFO sightings - This interesting footage of unidentified flying object flying across the sky above San Antonio in Texas was... more
- Witnesses Describe Alien Beings in Craft over Clinton, Misso UFO Casebook, Thu May 31 22:50Witnesses Describe Alien Beings in Craft over Clinton, Missouri Published: 1:59 PM 5/31/2012 Clinton, Missoui - 05-25-12 Six of us were leaving a restaurant and traveling in two cars. We headed to... more
- Assassination monopoly (1) John Kaminski, Fri Jun 1 22:09Assassination monopoly They murdered 8 U.S. presidents, 5 Russian czars, the kings of England, France and many other countries, and are still killing. Who are they? THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE OBVIOUS... more
- UFO Activity Over Dulce, New Mexico on Video UFO Casebook, Sat Jun 2 00:08UFO Activity Over Dulce, New Mexico on Video Published: 3:36 PM 5/30/2012 Dulce, New Mexico - May 28, 2012 Originally published on May 29, 2012 by JDQuantum In this video you can see objects moving... more
- AA flight to Reno returns to O'Hare after fuel problems Chicago Tribune, Sun Jun 3 10:23AA flight to Reno returns to O'Hare after fuel problems Comments 6Share41 AA flight to Reno returns to O'Hare after fuel problem (Tribune illustration / March 8, 2012) Maps Chicago O'Hare... more
- Recurring UFO Reported over Missouri UFO Casebook, Sun Jun 3 10:57Recurring UFO Reported over Missouri Published: 2:32 PM 5/27/2012 Missouri - 05-23-12 Almost every clear night for the last 3 to 4 weeks I’ve seen an object to the north of my house that stays in the ... more
- "Remember your humanity, and forget the rest." Wikipedia, Sun Jun 3 11:31
- Breaking photos Cape Cod creature CRYPTOMUNDO Posted by: Loren Co, Mon Jun 4 03:55Posted by: Loren Coleman on June 3rd, 2012 This is a breaking story. Is it an unknown or known species? Is it a well-place gaffe, a construction, a hoax? A closer examination is required. Can you... more
- NASA's Edgar Mitchell: Aliens Exist & Government Cover Up is Latest UFO Sightings, Mon Jun 4 11:32MONDAY, JUNE 4, 2012 NASA's Edgar Mitchell: Aliens Exist & Government Cover Up is Real Edgar Mitchell, the sixth person to walk on the Moon, tells FOX News he knows people who were involved in the... more
- The al-Qaeda demon virus A government that survives by ly John Kaminski, Mon Jun 4 11:38The al-Qaeda demon virus A government that survives by lying to its own people is a government that needs to be permanently overthrown, immediately, if not sooner. By John Kaminski... more
- Kecksburg UFO incident Wikipedia, Sat Jun 2 06:19Kecksburg UFO incident From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A model of the crashed object, originally created for the show Unsolved Mysteries, and put on display near the Kecksburg fire station. The ... more
- Plane that veered off runway made emergency landing day befo Chicago Tribune, Thu May 31 09:12Plane that veered off runway made emergency landing day before Ads by Google Cheap Chicago Hotels Book Chicago Budget Hotels Direct. Best Rate Guarantee. Hilton.com/Chicago Top 5 Wireless Printers... more