Truman grandson visiting Hiroshima, Nagasaki to mark 67th anSun Aug 5, 2012 09:1818.104.22.168
NATION AND WORLD
Truman grandson visiting Hiroshima, Nagasaki to mark 67th anniversary
POSTED: 08/05/2012 01:00:00 AM MDTBy Mari Yamaguchi
The Associated Press
Clifton Truman Daniel, a grandson of former President Harry Truman, prepares for a wreath-laying at Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park on Saturday.
(The Associated Press, Kyodo News)
TOKYO — A grandson of former President Harry Truman, who ordered the atomic bombings of Japan during World War II, is in Hiroshima to attend a memorial service for the victims.
Clifton Truman Daniel visited Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park on Saturday and laid a wreath for the 140,000 people killed by the Aug. 6, 1945, bombing authorized by his grandfather.
Another atomic blast in Nagasaki three days later killed 70,000 more.
"I think this cenotaph says it all — to honor the dead, to not forget and to make sure that we never let this happen again," Daniel said after offering a silent prayer.
Daniel, 55, is in Japan to attend ceremonies next week in Hiroshima and Nagasaki marking the 67th anniversary of the bombings.
His visit, the first by a member of the Truman family, is sponsored by the peace group Sadako Legacy, named after Sadako Sasaki, an A-bomb victim who died of leukemia at age 12.
While in the hospital, Sadako folded hundreds of paper cranes after hearing a legend that people who make 1,000 origami cranes can be granted a wish.
Origami cranes have since become a symbol of peace.
Daniel, a former journalist, met Sadako's 71-year-old brother, Masahiro Sasaki, who survived the bombing, at a peace event in New York in 2010.
They agreed to work together to deepen understanding between the two countries, which are still divided over the question of the legitimacy of the atomic attacks.
"There are other opinions, there are other points of view, and I don't think we ever finish talking about that," Daniel said Saturday after visiting a museum at the memorial.
"The important thing is to keep talking, to talk about all of it."
Daniel said in a statement that he decided to visit Hiroshima and Nagasaki because he needed to know the consequences of his grandfather's decision as part of his own efforts to help achieve a nuclear-free world.
He said he hoped to hear stories from survivors about how they overcame their adversity.
Daniel also is to meet with the mayors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and participate in discussions with students.
Susumu Miura, a 78-year-old Hiroshima native, wrote in the newspaper Tokyo Shimbun that he was enraged when he learned that many Americans still support the decision to drop the atomic bombs.
"But when I heard on the news that former President Truman's grandson is visiting Hiroshima and Nagasaki, I felt as if I lost some weight from my chest," Miura wrote in an op-ed article.
The peace group also invited the grandson of a radar operator who was on both of the planes that dropped the atomic bombs.
Ari Beser's grandfather, Jacob Beser, was the only person who directly took part in both the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings.
Read more: Truman grandson visiting Hiroshima, Nagasaki to mark 67th anniversary - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/nationworld/ci_21237750/truman-grandson-visiting-hiroshima-nagasaki-mark-67th-anniversary#ixzz22iEdlohz
- Labeling Kids: Childhood & "mental disorders" ed63, Sat Aug 4 07:47http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPS9SohzMjw&feature=bf_next&list=PLE074557EE38F2BD7
- Jim Marrs—The Brave New World of Psychiatry APFN, Sat Aug 4 14:46CCHR: Jim Marrs—The Brave New World of Psychiatry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nGZ1T42lk8&feature=bf_next&list=PLE074557EE38F2BD7 JIM MARRS http://www.jimmarrs.com Ritalin, manufactured by... more
- Batman killer, drugs and drug money APFN, Sat Aug 4 14:28Dr. Lynne Fenton, the Batman killer, drugs and drug money Jon Rappoport http://www.cchrint.org/2012/07/31/infowars-dr-lynne-fenton-the-batman-killer-drugs-and-drug-money/ People don’t get it. The... more
- Look before you Leap mljanket, Sat Aug 4 22:33So now we go into discourse in great detail how psychoactive drugs make people do strange and often horrible things. We mention the commonly used drugs like Ritalin, Paxil, Zoloft, etc. Have these... more
- Murder-Suicides ed63, Sun Aug 5 16:14http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=murdersuicide Soldier Cases http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=soldier Celebrity Cases http://ssristories.com/index.php?p=celebrity School Violence... more
- Truman grandson visiting Hiroshima, Nagasaki to mark 67th an Denver Post, Sun Aug 5 09:18
- Every Nuke Ready to Fly in The World ZAZZENLIFE COM, Sun Aug 5 09:33Every Nuke Ready to Fly in The World JUNE 26, 2012 BY @DIESELPOKERS 7 COMMENTS This incredible graphic documents all the nuclear weapons that are ready to fly on short notice, from all over the... more
- Psychiatric Side Effects Search Engine ed63, Sat Aug 4 08:47http://www.cchrint.org/psychdrugdangers/