Lease this WebApp and get rid of the ads.
"M.L. King Murder A Government Plot," by Pat Shannan
Mon Jan 20, 2014 17:19

"M.L. King Murder A Government Plot,"

Says Former CIA Participant. "I was part of it."

"Raoul" Identified as FBI Agent

by Pat Shannan -

New evidence has surfaced in the 1968 Martin Luther King murder case. It is
supplied by an "insider" who claims to have been part of a "hit team"
The JFK Assassination and the Uncensored story of the Two Oswalds

M.L. King Murder A Government Plot,” Says Former CIA Participant. “I was part of it.” “Raoul” Identified as FBI Agent

by Jason Cook on August 27, 2010

New evidence has surfaced in the 1968 Martin Luther King murder case. It is supplied by an “insider” who claims to have been part of a “hit team” that had come out of the “Missouri Mafia” headquartered in the town of Caruthersville, a small town in the bootheel section of that state. In a yet-to-be-published book, former County Deputy Jim Green reveals his assigned role in the conspiracy, the name of the actual trigger man, and the long-suspected involvement of J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI. Green also believes that he possesses the actual murder weapon, which he personally secreted away only hours after the murder.

“Jim Green is telling the truth,” says Lyndon Barsten, an astute researcher of the case over the past decade. “I have no doubt whatsoever. The pieces he has supplied fit perfectly and could not have come from someone who was not there.” Indeed they do fit, and it is all backed up by FBI documentation derived by Barsten through numerous FOIA requests.

On April 4, 1968, Dr. Martin Luther King was gunned down on the second floor balcony of the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee by a single shot from a high powered rifle. Several witnesses said the shot came from the bushes on a slope from across the street. The FBI concluded that it came from the rear bathroom window of a cheap hotel, also across the street and higher up the hill.

Two weeks later the name of James Earl Ray, a fugitive escapee from the Missouri State Penitentiary, was announced to the world as the man who had killed King, escaped to Canada, and was currently in hiding somewhere across the border. After Ray was identified as the killer and long before he was captured, the FBI spent little or no time pursuing any other leads. Two months later the fugitive was caught changing planes at Heathrow Airport in London, after having left Canada and spending ten days with persons unknown in Portugal. He was attempting to board a plane to Brussels.

On March 10, 1969, James Earl Ray, with his attorney Percy Foreman, pled guilty to the murder before the court of Judge Preston Battle. He was sentenced to 99 years in prison. He recanted almost immediately and filed a motion for a trial only three days later. But before the month was out, Judge Battle was found dead in his chambers, slumped over his desk. Beneath his head were the papers of the handwritten motion from James Earl Ray. The case was closed, and Ray began his sentence in the Tennessee State Penitentiary.

The “Official” Story

The scenario released by Memphis police and the FBI and later used by the House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA) was that in late March of 1968, James Earl Ray had purchased a Remington 30.06 rifle from the Aeromarine Supply Store in Birmingham and had traveled with it to Memphis in a white Mustang. Here he checked into Bessie Brewer’s boarding house in the 400 block of South Main Street on the afternoon of April 4th. Directly behind it was the Lorraine Motel on Mulberry Street.

At 6:00 p.m. Martin L. King stepped out of room 306 and was joined by a group of followers with whom he had been in a meeting all afternoon. He was gunned down only a minute later by a single shot from the rear bathroom window across the street.

Not one witness saw the actual firing of the shot or claimed it had come from the window. Most believed it had come from the bushes on the slope, fifty feet closer.

Still according to the official story, Ray allegedly ran out of the bathroom and down the hall to his room. Here he stuffed the rifle back into its box and included it with a bundle containing his clothes, binoculars, ammunition, a beer can with his fingerprints; and perhaps the most incriminating of all, a portable radio with his inmate number from the Missouri State Penitentiary engraved in the back side.

He ran down the stairs and out onto the street where he then dumped the bundle in the doorway of Canipe’s Amusement Company next door to the rooming house. He then zoomed away in the soon-to-be-infamous white Mustang. He stayed a few days in Atlanta before moving on to Canada.

James Earl’s Version

In 1987, after being imprisoned for 19 years, Ray told his side of the story in Tennessee Waltz, a book that went out of print and was later published under the title of Who Killed Martin Luther King? (The biggest loss here was original publisher Tupper Saussy’s brilliant epilogue, “The Politics of Witchcraft,” which exposed certain secrets that the establishment publishers preferred not to discuss. Under the new title the epilogue was eliminated.) However, he appeared be avoiding “the whole truth and nothing but the truth” in certain areas, apparently out of fear of self-incrimination – not necessarily for the murder but for some lesser crimes. It also appears that James became aware too late that he had indeed been unwittingly involved in the conspiracy to assassinate Martin Luther King.

Ray tells of his prison escape via a bread truck in April of 1967. After laying low in East St. Louis for a couple of months, he made it to Chicago where he looked up some old contacts that enabled him to purchase an old Chrysler for $100. From there he went to Detroit and crossed the border into Canada. In July, he met a man he knew only as “Raoul,” who quickly began to give James money in exchange for his help with importing some kind of contraband. James said he never knew if this was guns, drugs, or what, as he never actually participated in anything more than trial runs. Raoul always seemed to remain in the “planning” stages of a smuggling operation.

Ray had a contact phone number in the Area Code of “504,” where he had phoned his contact, “Raoul,” many times over the months prior to the murder. However, when he tried to dial this New Orleans number on the day after the assassination, it was already disconnected.

Through Raoul, James was kept supplied with money to go to Mexico to wait for instructions and to Los Angeles to see a plastic surgeon for a “nose job,” effectuating a change in his appearance. He never worked at a job in any of this time frame prior to the assassination and was obviously under the financial control of Raoul. James was traveling in a 1966 pale yellow Mustang (not white as were the others), purchased with $2,000 supplied by Raoul.

James always claimed he had acquired the names of his aliases at random from a Toronto phone book. He bought the gun in Birmingham under the name of “Harvey Lowmeyer,” checked into the Memphis flophouse as “John Willard,” acquired an Alabama driver’s license as “Eric S. Galt,” and traveled to Europe on a passport as Ramon George Sneyd. However, all four, for which he [or someone] had created I.D., looked very much like Ray. The odds of these being a random choice were just short of impossible. It also is likely that the Los Angeles plastic surgery rounding out his previously pointed nose was designed to make him look more like these men, none of whom knew they were being impersonated.

In February of 1968, Raoul sent travel funds to James in Los Angeles and ordered him back to New Orleans. From there the two drove together to Atlanta. In late March, James says that Raoul was making plans for them to drive to Miami but these plans abruptly changed around March 29th. They were now going to Memphis.

It was on or about this date that MLK had cancelled a planned speaking engagement in Miami in order to fly to Memphis and tend to the problems with the garbage strike. It now seems that Raoul had this information before anyone else.

En route they spent the first night in Birmingham. After checking into a motel, Raoul gave James a wad of money and sent him to the Aeromarine Supply Store to purchase a “deer rifle for your brother-in-law.” Having little knowledge of weaponry, James bought what he thought was appropriate and returned with a .243 caliber Winchester. Raoul immediately decided he didn’t like it and sent James back to the store the next morning to exchange it for another with a “larger bore.”

The salesman told James, “Tell your brother-in-law that this gun will bring down any deer in Alabama!” But he did agree to exchange it for the higher priced Remington 30.06. After his incarceration, James was always certain that real purpose of this instructed return to the gun store was simply another part of the “set-up” to make sure that the salesman would not forget him.

In Memphis on April 4th, the afternoon of the murder, Raoul had suggested that James go to a movie, but James declined. After several tries at getting rid of James for awhile, Raoul finally sent him on an errand only minutes before King was shot. James said that he was going to get the worn tires changed on the Mustang but that the man at the tire store was too busy and could not get to it that day. When James returned to the flophouse/Lorraine Motel location, it was surrounded by police cars with flashing lights, and he decided it would be prudent to leave the area, as it certainly was not a place for an escaped con to hanging around.

Ray was very vague about this time frame, and it may be assumed, again, that he did not want to admit to having backed out of a planned armed robbery, which appears below. To do so might have led to too many questions about his foreknowledge of the murder about to take place and exposed his (assumed) role – that of getaway driver. We must remember that while in prison, Ray was extremely vulnerable.

It was while he was driving south on U.S. Highway 61 into Mississippi that James heard the news on the radio that Martin Luther King had been shot. He then turned east and headed back to Atlanta. James was always vague about the details of his return trip to Canada and the contacts he made there prior to his flight to Europe – often appearing to be protecting others.

In Tennessee Waltz, Ray told a chilling story of harassment and torture, describing his treatment in the Shelby County Jail, which sounded as if he were relating experiences from the Soviet Union rather than America. He was kept under floodlights 24 hours a day for eight solid months prior to his guilty plea, never knowing if it was day or night outside. His cell was “bugged,” and two deputies were monitoring and recording every conversation – even those purported sacrosanct exchanges between client and attorney. Tired and weakened by the strain, Ray was finally coerced into a guilty plea by his attorney, to whom he referred for the rest of his life as “Percy Foreflusher.”

New Pieces To The Puzzle

Over the years Jim Green’s Federal Intelligence connections have become legendary in his hometown of Caruthersville, Missouri. “He’s untouchable,” or “He can’t be arrested, the feds just walk him out of jail, everybody knows that.” But now one must assume that the Untouchable is fast becoming anathema to his former handlers. Jim has had an attack of conscience and is talking!


“I hope to change a lie in history to the truth about that day in Memphis,” says Green, 54, a reformed “bad boy” who spent the first half of his life as a teenage runaway, moonshine runner, and car thief. The last half was spent in law enforcement, raising children, teaching school, and coaching football – along with occasional undercover work. His only source of income today is a social security disability check. Since coming forward with his story, he has refused all offers of any work involving government covert action, for fear of being “set up” and/or killed.

On December 3, 1998, he spent six hours with MLK’s son Dexter King, Rev. James Lawson, and William Pepper (Ray’s attorney and author of Orders to Kill, a semi-accurate compilation of facts and conjecture describing the government’s involvement in the King assassination).

“At this meeting, I cleared my soul telling Dexter of my involvement on the day of his father’s death,” says Green. “I knew there would be many more questions to come, and that’s when I decided to put my story in writing.”

He calls his book, Blood and Dishonor on a Badge of Honor, and when he put it up on the internet two years ago, it caught the attention of Lyndon Barsten on Minneapolis. Barsten decided to check Green’s story against the known facts as well as the suppressed information uncovered by him and others over the years. He was astounded. Everything fit. Green knew details that could only have been known by someone who was there, and the FBI documentation acquired by Barsten substantiated his story. Some of these papers show that the FBI had been constantly tracking James Earl Ray and had knowledge of his whereabouts during most of the year he was an escaped convict. Both Green and Barston believe that the FBI was instrumental in Ray’s “escape” from the Missouri State Penitentiary in April of 1967 for the sole purpose of setting him up as a “patsy” when the time came.

“Why else would these reports be in the record?” says Green, “And why would they have any files on an escaped con from a state prison?” Indeed. And something even more suspicious, why did the FBI not contact the Missouri authorities and have Ray picked up? He was under their thumb for some ten months. Later investigation showed that the fingerprints sent out by JeffCity for “escaped prisoner James Earl Ray” were not really his, ensuring his release if he happened to be captured as an escaped felon.

CIA/Peace Corps

Jim Green was student at Caruthersville High when he decided that the Peace Corps would be an exciting way to see the world. At the tender age of 16, he had no way of knowing that this was a major feeding ground of the Central Intelligence Agency (he assumes that his school counselor who helped him fill out the forms did not either), but this was where the initial contact was made.

He was contacted by FBI personnel and given a thorough background check. Then a series of interesting and mysterious events began after he was accepted and was under the government’s control. In a short time this led to the Missouri State Pen where he knew James Earl Ray in 1966.

“I have a good memory, but there are two weeks from this time at Jeff City that I can only remember a few hours of,” Jim reflects.

Lyndon Barsten says, “The contacts and methods utilized in the murder of Dr. King bear the signature of the CIA, including the probable use of MK-Ultra mind control techniques. Parallel psychiatric irregularities at the Missouri prison system are described by James Earl Ray and Jim Green, including the shocking drugging of inmates which could render the indication of hypnosis easier or otherwise enhance its usefulness. It seems highly likely that Jim was subjected to psychological assessment and manipulation, the results of which directed back to Federal Intelligence Agencies.”

A further series of events led to Jim’s early release (effectuated by “Paul,” the FBI Agent who became his handler) and a reunion back in Caruthersville with Butch Collier, his former partner from the moonshine running days. For the next year and a half, Jim and Butch and others ran moonshine and delivered hot cars from St. Louis to New Orleans. Both operations were under the direction of Paul, who would later show his credentials to Jim and identify himself as a FBI Agent. At first Green was concerned about this (“I had never known the feds to be crooked!”), but he was assured by others whom he trusted that Paul had the power to isolate them fr

  • SPECIAL: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in His Own Words Today is the federal holiday that honors Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He was... more
    • "M.L. King Murder A Government Plot," by Pat Shannan — APFN, Mon Jan 20 17:19
Click here to receive daily updates