MervynRe: Pilot Rocovsky MiroslavFri Apr 4, 2008 15:46220.127.116.11 (XFF: 127.0.0.1)Jeff,
Yes, it was, "John Peel's Hunter" (Spelt exactly like that.) Paid from a gift of £5ooo. donated by; West Cumberland Spitfire Fund.
'John Peel' is a very old English song telling the story of a hunting gentleman called, John Peel.
It is unlikely there is any connection with W3840.
(You may be able to find the song on your PC search engine?)
On charge to 501sq based at Ibsley 16/9/41.
P/O.R.Lynch claimed a Me109 damaged 9/3/42
Sgt. Miroslav Rocovski seen to bale out, however, his parachute failed to open. 25/4/42.
- Pilot Rocovsky Miroslav jeff, Mon Mar 31 20:21looking for information on Pilot Rocovsky Miroslav lost in action over Cherbourg, 25th April 1942, in Spitfire W3840. This aircraft was named John Peel's Hunter. Thanks Jeff Wilson -Author
- Re: Pilot Rocovsky Miroslav mervyn, Thu Apr 3 12:52A little more on the a/c. 501sqdn, as part of the Ibsley Wing with 118 and 234 sqdn's on 30th December 1941, undertook operation 'Veracity II' A second mission by a large bomber force being carried... more
- Pilot Rocovsky Miroslav Jeff, Thu Apr 3 12:55Thanks for the prompt replies. Was W3840 a 'Presentation, aircraft? Jeff
- Re: Pilot Rocovsky Miroslav Mervyn, Fri Apr 4 15:46
- Sgt Rocovsky Pavel Vancata, Tue Apr 1 08:01Hi Jeff what kind of info are you looking for? In my DB I have following: ROCOVSKY Miroslav 787,490 Sgt 501 Sq *18/09/1918 Skorenice + 25/04/1942 Panel No. 92 Runnymede. Missing from sweep over... more
- Re: Sgt Rocovsky Mervyn, Mon Aug 2 17:51Sergeant Karel Vrtis was also lost on this mission when his Spitfire, AB251 hit the sea.