PureStevilThat would require several major paradigm shifts.Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:59am188.8.131.52. There would have to be a dramatic change in how caretaker and financial responsibility for the upbringing of young occurs.
2. I don't see how the above could occur unless there were some radically different economic foundations in place.
3. The levels of prudery and mysticism about human sexuality would have to diminish greatly.
4. The above all assume a somewhat peaceable and organized civil society but another possibility would be if there were a devastating collapse of civilization. That would likely bring about radical change with regard to marriage as well. Scenarios in this case tend to be imagined as rather bleak for females.
- I think there may come a day when society Sprout, Thu Feb 10 6:29amrecognizes how impractical the ideal of life long arrangements like conventional marriage are. And if that day comes, folks will start establishing more reasonable goals for their relationships.
- It *can* be impractical, but it doesn't *have* to be. Moraith, Thu Feb 10 7:30amIt really depends on the couple and how they view their marriage. I think once people begin to better realize that they are the writers of the story of their lives, including marriage, they may have... more
- A lot more than that.... Sprout, Thu Feb 10 4:14pmLifelong relationships are dependent on a lot more than just how they view marriage. MANY couples marry BELIEVING very strongly that they will be happily together for the rest of their live and... more
- I agree with the majority of what you're saying. Moraith, Thu Feb 10 5:22pmExcept that I don't believe that the couples who CAN have a long and happy marriage DON'T have to be the exception. I think that too many people go into marriage with unrealistic expectations. They... more
- Once they have seen Paris... how will you keep them on the Sprout, Thu Feb 10 5:31pmfarm... Life overall, society as a whole, has changed Moraith. Folks have seen that they CAN have a lot better than staying in a loveless marriage because that is what teh church says that they MUST... more
- That would require several major paradigm shifts. PureStevil, Thu Feb 10 6:59am
Religion and Ethics BBS