SESTo a certain extent, I agree.Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:02pm220.127.116.11I don't know what people can use Food Stamps to buy. Can they get pretty much anything? Frozen pizza? Soda? Doritos? Ice Cream?
There could be a section of the grocery store where all of the Food Stamp eligible food would be -- fruits, vegetables, chicken, fish, milk, OJ, eggs, bread, pasta, etc.
No frozen Pizza. No ice cream. No Doritos or soda.
Maybe they already do that, in a way? Maybe you swipe your Food Stamp card, and anything that isn't Food Stamop eligible gets "flagged" and you can't get it.
Then again, that would still make it possible for people to use thier Food Stamps to get food, and then whip out some cash to buy beer and cigarettes.
I guess there's no way around THAT one. If people are going to be THAT dishonest and stupid, then there's only so much you can do about it.
- Get rid of food stamps. Roy, Fri Feb 11 11:01amEvery city should build a centrally located "kitchen" that cooks giant vats of gruel. Several bowls of gruel and a glass of water everyday will get these lazy basstids off their arses to find a job!
- To a certain extent, I agree. SES, Fri Feb 11 12:02pm
- Because there are SO many jobs out there. Poppet, Fri Feb 11 11:35am/rolleyes
- 842 jobs listed here. SES, Fri Feb 11 12:06pmI don't know how many jobs are available where YOU are, though: http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-search?partner=rtd&kw=&locations=Richmond%2C+VA&metro_search_proxy=2&metro_search=2&industry =
- Yeah greenman, Sat Feb 12 12:55pmAnd every unemployed person could do at least one of them, huh? Better start yourself a job service matching the unemployed with their perfect job, make yourself a bundle! :)
- Sure, there are THOUSANDS of jobs. David F Mayer, Fri Feb 11 12:26pmUnfortunately, there are several times as many unemployed persons as there are jobs. It is a numbers thing. Suppose that there are 100,000 open jobs and 500,000 persons looking for work. Then at... more
- It is not just the #; it is the # that pay ENOUGH to afford sT, Fri Feb 11 1:27pma family & a house.
- Yeah. 'cause everyone is entitled to live... SES, Fri Feb 11 1:38pm...in a house. Oh, and drive a nice car. And maybe eat out three nights a week, too. I mean, if those things don't effect a person's "general welfare", what does, right? So obviously the Federal... more
- People USED to be DIRT POOR; & THEN there were UNIONS & S.S. (nm sT, Fri Feb 11 1:52pm
- People used to not feel entitled to... SES, Fri Feb 11 2:06pm...eating out when they were taking Charity. People never felt entitled to cable TV and Internet and three cellphones with texting and camera/video capability and three cars and four weeks of... more
- Do U REALLY want to return to a time when MOST PEOPLE WERE sT, Fri Feb 11 2:19pmDIRT POOR? REALLY?
- Suppose you're unemployed. SES, Fri Feb 11 12:32pmAnd suppose there are 1,000 job openings in your community. Secretaries, Security Officers, Equipment Operators, Fleet Managers, Engineers, Loan Officers, Sales Reps, Welders, Maintenance Mechanics,... more
- It is simple arithmetic. David F Mayer, Fri Feb 11 12:34pmIf there are 1000 jobs and 5000 people apply to them, then at least 4000 of them are NOT going to get hired.
- Then start a business!!! Roy, Fri Feb 11 12:43pmI know a guy that was employed as a plant manager until the company downsized and he got laid off. He took some classes in heating and air conditioning (something totally unrelated to anything he had ... more
- Do the Math again. SES, Fri Feb 11 12:35pmOne person is unemployed. There are 1,000 job openings. Why is that one person unemployed?
- My point is... Poppet, Fri Feb 11 12:15pmMy point is, there are a lot fewer job openings than there are applicants these days...a lot . Furthermore, a lot of the jobs that are waiting to be filled are only suitable for a very... more
- How many are unemployed there? Ken C, Fri Feb 11 12:12pmI suspect there are a lot more unemployed people than available jobs.
- WHERE ARE THE JOBS that will pay the rent & groceries, much sT, Fri Feb 11 11:25amless a mortgage & enough to support a family? With computers & robots & OUTSOURCING & FIXEDnews & CONS helping BIG BUSINESS SCREW union sentiment, good paying middle class jobs are in SHORTER &... more
- In China, where else? That is where American businesses David F Mayer, Fri Feb 11 12:27pmlocate their factories these days. David F Mayer
- Too bad we don't have a sattelite TV channel spreading the sT, Fri Feb 11 1:56pmbenefits of labor unions & S.S. to the Chinese & other 3rdWorld poor.
- It wouldn't matter. If they tried it, they would be shot. (nm) David F Mayer, Sun Feb 13 6:43am
- Your attitude Roy, Fri Feb 11 12:21pmYour attitude is a perfect example of why this country is going downhill FAST! Just think if throughout human history people sat around and pouted and whined constantly that there was no food or that ... more
- NO; it is the attitude of U & FIXEDnews&CONS that has sT, Fri Feb 11 1:25pmIMMENSELY GREATENED the VERY REAL DESPARITY between the poor and the SUPER & ULTRA RICH. The MIDDLE CLASS has SIGNIFICANTLY SHRUNK over the past couple of decades thanks to the tax policies of RAYgun ... more
- NO; it is the attitude of U & FIXEDnews&CONS that has sT, Fri Feb 11 1:23pmIMMENSELY GREATENED the VERY REAL DESPARITY between the poor and the SUPER & ULTRA RICH. The MIDDLE CLASS has SIGNIFICANTLY SHRUNK over the past couple of decades thanks to the tax policies of RAYgun ... more
Religion and Ethics BBS