PoppetMy point is...Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:15pm18.104.22.168My point is, there are a lot fewer job openings than there are applicants these days...a lot. Furthermore, a lot of the jobs that are waiting to be filled are only suitable for a very narrowly-qualified range of applicants or are minimum wage stuff.
A person in desperate need should certainly be willing to take one of the latter...and most are. But the problem there is that a lot of unemployed folks are vastly overqualified for these jobs...and no one will hire them for those positions. The employers feel (and with some justification) that a person whose resume is miles beyond some entry level position isn't going to stick around (at best), or is going to be an undermotivated employee who hates their job (at worst).
As for my area, it's pretty bad here in Oregon. We're happy just to have gotten down to an unemployment rate much of the rest of the country was wringing its hands about a few months back. =(
- 842 jobs listed here. SES, Fri Feb 11 12:06pmI don't know how many jobs are available where YOU are, though: http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-search?partner=rtd&kw=&locations=Richmond%2C+VA&metro_search_proxy=2&metro_search=2&industry =
- Yeah greenman, Sat Feb 12 12:55pmAnd every unemployed person could do at least one of them, huh? Better start yourself a job service matching the unemployed with their perfect job, make yourself a bundle! :)
- Sure, there are THOUSANDS of jobs. David F Mayer, Fri Feb 11 12:26pmUnfortunately, there are several times as many unemployed persons as there are jobs. It is a numbers thing. Suppose that there are 100,000 open jobs and 500,000 persons looking for work. Then at... more
- It is not just the #; it is the # that pay ENOUGH to afford sT, Fri Feb 11 1:27pma family & a house.
- Yeah. 'cause everyone is entitled to live... SES, Fri Feb 11 1:38pm...in a house. Oh, and drive a nice car. And maybe eat out three nights a week, too. I mean, if those things don't effect a person's "general welfare", what does, right? So obviously the Federal... more
- People USED to be DIRT POOR; & THEN there were UNIONS & S.S. (nm sT, Fri Feb 11 1:52pm
- People used to not feel entitled to... SES, Fri Feb 11 2:06pm...eating out when they were taking Charity. People never felt entitled to cable TV and Internet and three cellphones with texting and camera/video capability and three cars and four weeks of... more
- Do U REALLY want to return to a time when MOST PEOPLE WERE sT, Fri Feb 11 2:19pmDIRT POOR? REALLY?
- Suppose you're unemployed. SES, Fri Feb 11 12:32pmAnd suppose there are 1,000 job openings in your community. Secretaries, Security Officers, Equipment Operators, Fleet Managers, Engineers, Loan Officers, Sales Reps, Welders, Maintenance Mechanics,... more
- It is simple arithmetic. David F Mayer, Fri Feb 11 12:34pmIf there are 1000 jobs and 5000 people apply to them, then at least 4000 of them are NOT going to get hired.
- Then start a business!!! Roy, Fri Feb 11 12:43pmI know a guy that was employed as a plant manager until the company downsized and he got laid off. He took some classes in heating and air conditioning (something totally unrelated to anything he had ... more
- Do the Math again. SES, Fri Feb 11 12:35pmOne person is unemployed. There are 1,000 job openings. Why is that one person unemployed?
- My point is... Poppet, Fri Feb 11 12:15pm
- How many are unemployed there? Ken C, Fri Feb 11 12:12pmI suspect there are a lot more unemployed people than available jobs.
Religion and Ethics BBS