Sorry, you didn't say the beating was justified.Thu Aug 4, 2011 1:54pm22.214.171.124Sprout said: "The fact is that the plaintiffs actions DO have a bearing on the case. Whether we think they SHOULD or not. "
My comments were mainly addressed to the courts that don't punish the cops. The judges and juries aren't here to explain themselves, so I posted to you.
- Are beatings by cops worse than other beatings? Ken C, Thu Aug 4 10:31amLast Monday I was reading about someone who got beat up by a baseball fan at a baseball game. The person was knocked unconscious and was in a coma for a long time. This upset me.... more
- Wehn you law enforcers break the law, it is serious ChristopherBlackwell, Fri Aug 5 6:28pmKen C, We grant the police enormous power we give to no one else in civilian s society, including the right to kill. Unfortunately not every policeman can handle that power responsibly. Corruption in ... more
- UPDATE: Here's the newest police-caused murder Truthteller, Fri Aug 5 2:43pmI actually got sick when I read this today. NOW they're picking on the weak and homeless??? What BIG men, huh? Ssssick. Yet more state-sanctioned MURDER by "law enforcement." Yet another murder that... more
- I understand that sick feeling, Ken C, Fri Aug 5 4:20pmThat's why I felt like talking about this with the people here.
- I agree B, Fri Aug 5 2:54pmDid you see the picture of the guy after the beating? No one deserves that. Watch these cops lie their ass off about what really happened like they usually do. These faggots need to hang.
- Yep they're and a cop should get twice the sentences because Ζεύς, Thu Aug 4 11:33pmthey’re the law. Where do you go if you can’t trust the law enforcers? We know from experiences that they stick together and it is hard to get a conviction against a cop or coppers.... more
- My son was beaten by policemen ConnieSue, Thu Aug 4 7:49pmAnd I have to live with that unsettled feeling that the police walk a fine line between defending themselves and protecting others who may be a threat to themselves as well as others. I wondered what ... more
- This might not make U feel ANY better: sT, Thu Aug 4 6:17pmhttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44017066/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/ : "The U.S. government wasn't ready for the rest of the world to know about it, so they basically put him on ice," Kanovitz said... more
- Yes ... Mondo Fuego™, Thu Aug 4 12:33pm... many of them are just angry thugs who take their frustrations out on others. The "system" rarely deals with them in an appropriate manner ... they get put on "administrative leave" pending... more
- This case is also being investigated by the FBI. Ken C, Thu Aug 4 12:55pmIt looks like at least in this case they are doing more than just "administrative leave". Maybe that's because the victims father is a former Orange County sheriff's deputy, and there were witnesses... more
- They do even WORSE Truthteller, Thu Aug 4 1:18pmcheck THIS out. Every damn one of these so-called "law enforcement" personnel should be put away for a long, long time: http://www.thepeoplesvoice.org/cgi-bin/blogs/voices.php/2008/03/10/p23979 The... more
- Nice why not call the cops for help. Ζεύς, Thu Aug 4 11:52pmIt simply shows what a scum culture there is in law enforcement. Is she lucky to be alive? I think her life is from now on totally ruined mentally and physically. Ζεύς
- bushCO's AVOIDANCE of torture prosecution EMBOLDENED sT, Thu Aug 4 6:52pmoutrageous conduct by cops all across this nation. Of course it is true that many didN'T need much of a push. Add it to the LONG LIST of CHENEYbushCO negative affects to our nation EXCUSED by the... more
- Remember Rodney King and the Los Angeles riots? Ken C, Thu Aug 4 1:32pmThat was about 19 years ago, and Los Angeles seems to have a big riot about every 20 years. I wonder if another one is coming. 1943: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoot_Suit_Riots 1965:... more
- It's a tough call... wondering, Thu Aug 4 12:07pmbut, yes, I think policemen should be held to a higher standard, especially when they have it within their power to inflict far greater harm. Every case is different, but in some cases, the policemen ... more
- Hi wondering, thanks for the reply. (nm) Ken C, Thu Aug 4 1:35pm
- I think from a standpoint of ideals, a police officer Sprout, Thu Aug 4 11:01amis supposed to be, at least to a degree, a role model. IMO drunken fanatics (the basis of the word "fan") at a sporting event are, to a degree, EXPECTED to behave in anti-social ways, and are... more
- Agreed, Ken greenman, Sun Aug 7 3:13pmUnless the cop's being so extreme as to threaten your very life or the life of a family member, you cannot respond to them with violence. Try to get a badge number or at least car number, and if... more
- Even if the suspect was doing something wrong, Ken C, Thu Aug 4 1:25pmI don't see how that could justify beating him to death. The suspect had mental problems and did try to escape, so I realize he did some things wrong. He probably deserved to be arrested. There were... more
- Where did I say that it did justify anything? (nm) Sprout, Thu Aug 4 1:41pm
- Sorry, you didn't say the beating was justified. Ken C, Thu Aug 4 1:54pm
- A judgement against them is a rare thing Truthteller, Thu Aug 4 11:09amit's hard to find a judge who will actually sit a case against a police officer, ESPECIALLY a civil case. 9 times out of 10 the cop is acquitted and some just go right back on the job and do it again.
- And that is because 9 times out of 10 Sprout, Thu Aug 4 11:24amthe plaintiff did something STUPID in the process making the case FAR more difficult... For example... If someone is pulled over for DUI and attempts to kick the officers ass because he/she is... more
- Even in cases where... Truthteller, Thu Aug 4 11:43amthe suspect was beaten or killed by an officer, with the incident having been recorded and showing the officer clearly at fault, prosecution is extremely rare, with conviction even MORE rare. That's... more
- What I am trying to express is that I recognize that Sprout, Thu Aug 4 12:09pmthese are difficult cases. That the plaintiff must present a very clean case if he/she wants to win... Not JUST that the officer is wrong, but that the plaintiff was NOT wrong... Take the Rodney King ... more
- YES, absolutely Truthteller, Thu Aug 4 10:43amthey are supposed to be worthy of public trust, and when they turn from police officer to criminal, they need to be slapped down---HARD. Alas, the cronyism that exists within law enforcement makes it ... more
Religion and Ethics BBS