KevinCute quote for a three year old...Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:53am126.96.36.199inaccurate assumptions about prayer, God, etc. Not good understanding of the topic. Extreme literalism and limited.
But it is a three year old. We can let our hearts melt and smile and enjoy their attempts to understand.
Basing an entire critique of prayer or God on those types of assumptions inherent in that quote when one is an adult?
Be my guest.
- Your daily atheist Moishe, Thu Oct 27 5:07am"Why do we have to pray? Doesn't Jesus have a phone?" From Pharyngula as usual
- Cute quote for a three year old... Kevin, Thu Oct 27 6:53am
- Are you not at least mildly intrigued Moishe, Thu Oct 27 8:04amby the fact that this was at least a partially atheist household discussing the concept of Jesus with their three year old. This looks like a job for... ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' Sophisticated Apologetics... more
- No. Not really interested at all.... Kevin, Sat Oct 29 6:48amI have no desire to convince anyone on here. I only wish to point out that the critiques that people use are not really touching on the real issues that are engaged in my faith. I just find it funny... more
- Re: Are you not at least mildly intrigued Seeker, Thu Oct 27 9:36amI know that you directed your question at Kevin, so I hope you don't mind my jumping in here. Why would a person be intrigued if, within a partially atheist household, the concept of Jesus was being... more
- Ah but parents have the right to determine Christopher Blackwell , Thu Oct 27 7:50pmSeeker, Parents have always been considered to have the right to determine what religion if any that a child is exposed to, and that includes no religion. I have never felt threatened by an Atheists, ... more
- Re: Ah but parents have the right to determine Seeker, Thu Oct 27 9:23pmWell, yes, parents have the right to raise their children as they see fit. It is a legal and moral right. I have never been threatened by anyone from either camp (believers and non-believers). My... more
- That though is the rare parent Christopher Blackwell , Fri Oct 28 9:08pmSeeker That requires a thoughtful and caring parent, truly dedicated to what might be good for each child. Most of our parents are not at that level. Most barely raise their children at all, they... more
- I think you will see wondering, Thu Oct 27 10:07pmlots of children under the age of three being exposed to religion, going to church with their parents. Some might call it "enriching"... others might call it brainwashing or child abuse. Some of... more
- typo: that should be 'know' and not 'no' (nm) Seeker, Thu Oct 27 9:25pm
- I'm so clad that you have that problem too sometimes. ;o)) Διός , Thu Oct 27 10:19pmIt is so easy done you k no w grin Διός
- Re: I'm so clad that you have that problem too sometimes. ;o)) Seeker, Thu Oct 27 10:54pmMy spelling and grammar skills are not the greatest to begin with. Text messaging has added to it. Sometimes what I text looks like a foreign language. And I am now so use to texting that I have to... more
- It is always good to explore concepts contrary to one's own Siã☀© ◔~◔, Thu Oct 27 6:54pmJust very unusual to do with so young a child... But hey, can never begin too early teaching a child to have an open mind...
- It could be as simple as having over some guest that prayed Διός, Thu Oct 27 5:39pmSo that the little one had her first experience with praying and asked the questions. And then she dropped that little beauty "doesn't god has a phone". Διός :o))
- Just Cute? Not perhaps Profound? PureStevil, Thu Oct 27 7:03amThat mere humans can devise a more effective and reliable communication method than a god I think speaks volumes. Admittedly, I may have a particular bias. :-) Have a great day Kevin.
- Re: Just Cute? Not perhaps Profound? Seeker, Thu Oct 27 9:31amWhy do you consider the child's question profound? The question reminds me of a question that I was asked by a kid: Why does Santa Claus have to use the chimney? Can't he use the front door? I smile... more
- Thank you Seeker. Kevin, Sat Oct 29 6:52amYou summarize my point perfectly. (An aside, the Christian tradition considers meditation as part of the spectrum of prayer. In many Reformation Churches, this connection between prayer and... more
- I would have asked why we NEED phones if thinking can Siã☀© ◔~◔, Thu Oct 27 6:58pmcommunicate betweenst folks... Cuz a 3 year old can't possibly fathom what was going on other than someone was talking to someone they couldn't see and expected the other to hear them... So, why have ... more
- Re: I would have asked why we NEED phones if thinking can Seeker, Thu Oct 27 9:50pmIf people were telepathic, they would not need phones, but it would not preclude them to having them and using them either. And yes, it would be rather strange (to address someone else's point) if... more
- As do I... Siã☀© ◔~◔, Fri Oct 28 9:18amIt was adorable in the way that us ADULTS viewed it... But, from the child's POV, (which is what I was trying to convey with my alternate question of why phones were even needed at all), they were... more
- Re: As do I... Seeker, Fri Oct 28 9:50amSometimes the answers adults give make no sense either! ;) On the topic of kids: you gotta luv 'em! They can take something that an adult regards as mundane and turn it into a playground, a fantasy.... more
- Folks who allow themselves to think like children are Siã☀© ◔~◔, Fri Oct 28 10:16amconsidered naive but also like crazy folks... yet they are the ones MOST LIKELY to invent fantastic things that others never imagined until they came into existence and now can't imagine NOT... more
- Could you live with telepathic abilities, can you imagine Διός, Thu Oct 27 10:33pmthe entire info overload from all the stuff you would hear in your head from all around you and from others even from far away. But I do believe we have a limited telepathic ability with people very... more
- So do I!! Siã☀© ◔~◔, Fri Oct 28 9:32amI have an amazing story of just that, but it's rather personal and not something I routinely share in public... Suffice it to say that something very strange (but without the slightest question as to ... more
- I have had very sad experiences with somehow knowing. Διός, Fri Oct 28 10:59pmThree time it happen to me that I feel the urgent "I must go now” and see a sick friend, no waiting a hour or a day but right Now feeling. And three times that friend died within hours. What it is I... more
- That is somewhat different than the one I referenced BUT Siã☀© ◔~◔, Sat Oct 29 9:11amI, too, have had weird experiences of thinking of long ago friends or acquaintances that I'd lost touch with, but suddenly thought about and felt a powerful concern for... only to learn later on had... more
- Amazing. Διός, Sat Oct 29 10:20amThat must have been a terrible experience especially that young. Does it still affect you it wouldn't surprise me if it did? My feeling didn't come that clear it was an unexplainable urge that I had... more
- Information overload! Seeker, Thu Oct 27 10:49pmThere is no way that I would want to be bombarded by the thoughts of others. Sometimes I have enough trouble sorting out my own thoughts. :) I am not really a believer in telepathy. I do think that... more
- Well, if you ever experience something contrary to that Siã☀© ◔~◔, Fri Oct 28 9:34amyou'll NEVER forget it... (-; and never believe that ANYTHING is impossible again...
- Re: Well, if you ever experience something contrary to that Seeker, Fri Oct 28 9:45amBy that way of thinking, that "never believe that anything is impossible again", gods would be possible, yes? Any kind of god(s)? Just following and exploring a line of reasoning-
- Well somethings happen just to often for it to be a Διός, Thu Oct 27 11:20pmcoincident when I want to ring a close friend and he just beat me to it doing the same. With a distance between us of a 50km. Διός
- Ever SEE them doing it? Siã☀© ◔~◔, Fri Oct 28 9:36amfrom that far away?
- Nah just a feeling I have to call them it has been a while, Διός, Fri Oct 28 9:16pmthen when wanted to make the call the phone rings before I had the change to start dialling. And that didn't just happen once or twice and it did happen the other way around as well.... more
- Wagenaar is a pure Dutch name Διός, Thu Oct 27 6:41ameven if he is from S.A. And he has a smart three-year-old niece. Thanks for this post Moishe it is a classic.;o)) Διός
- God can't afford the telephone company service plans PureStevil, Thu Oct 27 6:40amfor an infinite contract. "Why do we have to pray? Doesn't Jesus have a phone?" That is a great quote!
- Smart children out smart many adults. grin (nm) Διός, Thu Oct 27 6:42am
Religion and Ethics BBS