SproutAparently that is not the case...because aparentlyFri May 11, 2012 11:37am220.127.116.11some several hundreds HAVE chosen to take the risk and failed and committed suicide as a result.
The small farmer IS the businessman here.
If you can't afford the risk, don't try to start a business. ie, don't try to grow and sell cotton for a living.
- If you think supermarket food is safe Trudy, Sat May 5 10:46amWatch this. http://yum.sfstation.com/2012/05/03/the-world-according-to-monsanto/ "The overwhelming influence that this multinational corporation wields over the highest levels of governmental... more
- Hybrid vs Heirloom kw, Sun May 6 8:47amDo the genetic modified crops produce genetic modified seed? A hybrid plant does not produce hybrid seeds, but in one growning season will produce original seeds from the original parent plant. Do gm ... more
- To answer the question... Sprout, Sun May 6 10:18amUsing gm seed increases yield per acre but increased cost, where are you ahead? Simple.. IF the yeild increase is GREATER than the cost increase, you are ahead. IF the yield increase is LESS than the ... more
- It was a comment about the video. kw, Sun May 6 4:27pmThe small cotton farmers in India are going bankrupt. How ya been Sprout?
- I have no doubt that less efficient farmers Sprout, Mon May 7 5:22amare going to make less money. And if they make less money than it takes to run their business they will go bankrupt. Is this a surprise to anyone? One thing to try is to observe ones competition. If... more
- All people must make a living wage... kw, Mon May 7 4:49pm...in order to live comfortably. And they shouldn't have to compete with each other to make a living.
- One of the challenges of making the voluntary choice of Sprout, Mon May 7 6:24pmrunning a BUSINESS.... If you want to avoid personal risk, go to work for someone else who takes the personal risk. If you want the POTENTIAL to make MORE, start your own business, but recognize that ... more
- I don't know Sprout. kw, Wed May 9 6:44pmMaybe you didn't watch the video? The farmers deal with other businesses; and they're putting the small farmers out of business, in the hole. That's not good, ethical business practices, even if the... more
- There is economy to scale... Sprout, Thu May 10 5:49amMaking a living does not necessarily require a personal risk. RUNNING YOUR OWN BUSINESS does. And that is what a "small farmer" IS doing KW. A small farmer IS running their own business. The smaller... more
- Economy of scale? kw, Thu May 10 7:06pmThe small business is not less stable; and a small farmer certainly can't afford risk. The best business practices will be mutually beneficial to all disciplines. When within a year over 600 cotton... more
- Yes, the small business is less stable... Sprout, Fri May 11 5:40amThey are less stable BECAUSE they cannot afford the risk. The small business IS a higher risk investment. Thus the higher interst rate. Why would one be so foolish as to EMBARK on a business venture... more
- A person who can't afford the risk... kw, Fri May 11 7:56am...won't take the risk. If someone can afford to take a risk, they don't need to. The seed company wants success for the small farmer; and the cotton buyer also depends on that success. If the lender ... more
- Aparently that is not the case...because aparently Sprout, Fri May 11 11:37am
- Farming is a unpredictable risk between the farmers and mother nature. And every year and every region is different. "The small farmer IS the businessman here." That's a very unusual statement, as... more
- Could there be a link between ... Mondo Fuego™ , Sat May 5 12:01pm... GMO and rising obesity problem? GNO and declining Math/Reading/Science ranking? Between GMO and rising stupidity problem in government?
- FDA Ignored Own Scientists’ Warnings Trudy, Sat May 5 10:53amFDA Ignored Own Scientists’ Warnings About GM Food Safety http://eatdrinkbetter.com/2011/10/06/gmo-food-safety/
- Take action now Mondo Fuego™ , Sat May 5 12:31pmhttp://eatdrinkbetter.com/2011/10/31/unlabeled-gm-sweet-corn-arriving-soon/
- Thanks. Already signed a few of those. Trudy, Sat May 5 12:39pmBut since Monsanto runs the FDA I doubt it will matter any more than Obama's question about what matters to people did when the majority said legalize pot.
- "Genetically Modified" to some has the same impact as... SES, Sat May 5 11:04am"...Nuclear". Genetically Modified? OH NO!!!!!! Nuclear? OH NO!!!!!! To some people, "Genetically Modified" and "Nuclear" conjure up images of fish with three eyes, or cows with two heads, or people... more
- the problem is Christopher Blackwell , Sun May 6 6:08pmSES, Genetically changed plants would not have to be dnagerous except that we want them to do more than just grow food. Many of these plants produce their own insect poisons, or prevent the plant... more
- Did you watch the video? Ken C, Sat May 5 12:34pmI haven't watched that video, but I have seen other news articles documenting the dangers of that stuff. Even if that type of food is proven safe, don't the customers at least have the right to know... more
- I agree. Frankenfoods is over the top Trudy, Sat May 5 12:41pmbut maybe not by much considering the rise in obesity, cancer, diabetes, and early development of adult features in young girls due to the hormones in our meat.
Religion and Ethics BBS