HistoryUntrue. Passion should not justify untruthsTue May 15, 2012 12:23pm22.214.171.124Making false statements undermines anyone's cause.
Making false statements against any group is an example of prejudice. No different than hating blacks, asians, muslims, Jews, gays, etc.
The top 1% own 40% of the nation's wealth.
--your claim they own 99% is false.
The top 1% pay more in taxes than the lower 95% combined (see sourced link in my prior post). That is an unambiguous and impressive number.
--the majority of the 1% pay at the highest income tax rate in the country: 30-35%
--only a very small portion (0.1%, the uber-wealthy like William Buffett) pay a lower annual tax rate (15%because their income is not from wages but from investments which is taxed at a lower rate.
"The income earned by the top 1% of Americans has declined for the second year in a row while their average tax rate has increased"
"Households making between $50,000 and $75,000 will pay an average of 15% of their income in federal taxes.
...households making between $40,000 and $50,000 will pay an average of 12.5% of their income in federal taxes.
...Households making between $20,000 and $30,000 will pay 5.7%.
...The Tax Policy Center estimates that 46% of households, mostly low- and medium-income households, will pay no federal income taxes this year." (It is this group that receives nearly all the growing entitlements from US social programs).
The problem is not that the rich are wealthy or that they pay more in taxes than nearly all Americans combined regardless of tax rates. The problem is the decimation by the loss of lower skilled and unskilled manufacturing jobs (mostly to developing countries)that formed the foundation for lower economic class advancement to middle class, of an educational system that does not train students for the job skills needed in the current economy, and the psychological shift in the American psyche to one of "I'm entitled" rather than "I'm responsible for myself."
Being part of a global economy has similarly led to new competition for American workers and for American businesses.
Keeping wealth, and success, in America will require a highly educated workforce that targets business needs, a tax system that rewards investment in American workers, and a return to workers wanting a helping hand up and not expecting or demanding a hand-out. (in my humble opinion).
- 1% OWN 99% of wealth & pay LOWER tax rates than middle class sT, Tue May 15 8:43amWe became the MOST PROSPEROUS NATION ON THIS PLANET EVER WHEN WE TAPPED INTO THE WEALTH OF THE UBER-RICH. & HAVE LOST MUCH GROUND SINCE U CONS SLASHED their RATES to less than 15%, if U include S.S.
- Untrue. Passion should not justify untruths History, Tue May 15 12:23pm
- & EVERY1 here but me IGNORES the waste of our Drug War on sT, Tue May 15 5:25pmour PRISON SYSTEM that IS BANKRUPTING our STATES & NATION!
- Another lie. Liar. SES, Wed May 16 11:59amYou probably don't recall all of the discussions we've had on here where many of us DO support legalizing marijuana or at the least not making possession for personal use a crime worthy of... more
- Yet U vote for those who push for the HARSHEST PENALTIES! (nm) sT, Wed May 16 4:49pm
- Yet U vote for those push for the HARSHEST PENALTIES! (nm) sT, Wed May 16 4:48pm
- You can lead a moron to the facts... SES, Tue May 15 11:15am...but you can't make 'em drink: "The current structure of tax brackets has rates that start at 10 percent of income at the low end and rise to 35 percent for the highest earners. In the middle are... more
- U WASTE tax $ posting here defending the rich who doN'T need sT, Tue May 15 5:12pmyour support. U are an IDIOT!
- Yep Robert, Tue May 15 12:07pmI've posted the actual tax rates and amounts collected by income brackets for him several times. His retarded reply is always----PERCENTAGES!
- If U understood PERCENTAGES, U would understand WHY! (nm) sT, Wed May 16 9:15am
- It's an interesting Liberal anomaly the way they argue taxes SES, Tue May 15 12:17pmWhen they're arguing that "the rich" don't pay enough, ALL they want to argue about is Federal Income Taxes. They totally ignore the other taxes that "the rich" pay. But when you state the fact that... more
- Thank your bush Tax Cuts that the poor don't pay income sT, Tue May 15 5:06pmtaxes. QUIT BLAMING OTHERS FOR HIS STUPIDITY!
- Liar. No they don't. (nm) SES, Tue May 15 11:09am
Religion and Ethics BBS