David F MayerThe Magnitude of a Miracle Is Inversely Proportional To theFri Jun 1, 2012 2:21pm18.104.22.168Distance in Time and Space Between the Occurrence Miracle and the Report of the Miracle.
Thousands of years and thousands of kilometers make a miracle grow stupendously. That is how molehills become mountains.
Some of the reported miracles probably happened in a sense. That is, there was a genuine and unusual natural event that was interpreted as a miracle, and then magnified enormously.
For example: The Plague of Darkness may well have been the result of the one of several eruptions of Thera (Santorini) in the Mediterranean Sea. At least one of these blew an ash cloud toward Egypt's Nile Delta. This could have produced a few very dark days. Such an event certainly occurred, as the trail of ash deposits on the bottom of the Med clearly show. It may have occurred before, after, or during the Exodus of Israel from Egypt. Later, after the usual repetition and exaggeration, it became "The Miracle of Darkness".
Similarly, the episode of Joshua and the fall of stones from the sky could have been a minor cometary impact. We now know that such things happen far more often then previously thought. Quite a few have been recorded by satellite cameras. Add a few thousand years, and it becomes a miracle.
David F Mayer
- Remember all those awesome biblical miracles? SES, Fri Jun 1 12:53pmRemember the parting of the sea? Walking on water? The sun remaining motionless in the sky? AWESOME!!! Apparently god's gotten a little lazy. All he can do now is make his son's image appear in... more
- Hmm sinse when do people know what Jesus looks like? Διός, Fri Jun 1 6:49pmThe guy should be worried about the mold problem he got in his house. Yes all those miracles all performed thousands of years ago and since nothing. It is sad the adults get still sucked in by all... more
- They don't ChristopherBlackwell, Sat Jun 2 5:23pmΔιός, They don't know what Jesus looks like as no description of him was ever given. He certainly did not look look European. So all the images of him are false in every way.
- He likely wouldn't have had long hair either Truthteller, Sun Jun 3 12:35pmthis is more likely: http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/forensics/1282186 From the first time Christian children settle into Sunday school classrooms, an image of Jesus Christ is etched... more
- That's an interesting debate greenman, Sun Jun 3 4:27pmOrthodox Jews may well have had long hair...Roman style of the time was short hair. Paul almost certainly was one of the latter. Short hair = military haircut, then and now. :)
- But in reality we don't know so how can someone say I saw Διός, Sun Jun 3 6:44pmJesus in my bathroom mold? Total balony again from the belivers in phony stuff, sad really. Διός
- They see what they want to see greenman, Tue Jun 5 5:49pmA lot of people see that blond-haired bearded pretty boy, I'm sure...:) Byzantines were probably closer: Bit of an attitude though, wouldn't you say? :)
- The Magnitude of a Miracle Is Inversely Proportional To the David F Mayer, Fri Jun 1 2:21pm
- LOL 'Holy mold!" Truthteller, Fri Jun 1 1:02pmSoo dumb. Looks to me like they are living in pretty squalid conditions. Perhaps Jesus is trying to tell them to clean up?
- Yep some elbow grease would do miracles. grin (nm) Διός, Fri Jun 1 6:54pm
Religion and Ethics BBS