TruthtellerHe likely wouldn't have had long hair eitherSun Jun 3, 2012 12:35pm22.214.171.124this is more likely:
From the first time Christian children settle into Sunday school classrooms, an image of Jesus Christ is etched into their minds. In North America he is most often depicted as being taller than his disciples, lean, with long, flowing, light brown hair, fair skin and light-colored eyes. Familiar though this image may be, it is inherently flawed. A person with these features and physical bearing would have looked very different from everyone else in the region where Jesus lived and ministered. Surely the authors of the Bible would have mentioned so stark a contrast. On the contrary, according to the Gospel of Matthew, when Jesus was arrested in the garden of Gethsemane before the Crucifixion, Judas Iscariot had to indicate to the soldiers whom Jesus was because they could not tell him apart from his disciples. Further clouding the question of what Jesus looked like is the simple fact that nowhere in the New Testament is Jesus described, nor have any drawings of him ever been uncovered. There is the additional problem of having neither a skeleton nor other bodily remains to probe for DNA. In the absence of evidence, our images of Jesus have been left to the imagination of artists. The influences of the artists' cultures and traditions can be profound, observes Carlos F. Cardoza-Orlandi, associate professor of world Christianity at Columbia Theological Seminary in Atlanta. "While Western imagery is dominant, in other parts of the world he is often shown as black, Arab or Hispanic." And so the fundamental question remains: What did Jesus look like?
An answer has emerged from an exciting new field of science: forensic anthropology. Using methods similar to those police have developed to solve crimes, British scientists, assisted by Israeli archeologists, have re-created what they believe is the most accurate image of the most famous face in human history.
Read more: The Real Face Of Jesus - What Did Jesus Look Like? - Popular Mechanics
- Remember all those awesome biblical miracles? SES, Fri Jun 1 12:53pmRemember the parting of the sea? Walking on water? The sun remaining motionless in the sky? AWESOME!!! Apparently god's gotten a little lazy. All he can do now is make his son's image appear in... more
- Hmm sinse when do people know what Jesus looks like? Διός, Fri Jun 1 6:49pmThe guy should be worried about the mold problem he got in his house. Yes all those miracles all performed thousands of years ago and since nothing. It is sad the adults get still sucked in by all... more
- They don't ChristopherBlackwell, Sat Jun 2 5:23pmΔιός, They don't know what Jesus looks like as no description of him was ever given. He certainly did not look look European. So all the images of him are false in every way.
- He likely wouldn't have had long hair either Truthteller, Sun Jun 3 12:35pm
- That's an interesting debate greenman, Sun Jun 3 4:27pmOrthodox Jews may well have had long hair...Roman style of the time was short hair. Paul almost certainly was one of the latter. Short hair = military haircut, then and now. :)
- But in reality we don't know so how can someone say I saw Διός, Sun Jun 3 6:44pmJesus in my bathroom mold? Total balony again from the belivers in phony stuff, sad really. Διός
- They see what they want to see greenman, Tue Jun 5 5:49pmA lot of people see that blond-haired bearded pretty boy, I'm sure...:) Byzantines were probably closer: Bit of an attitude though, wouldn't you say? :)
- Don't forget the grilled cheese picture of Mary David F Mayer, Fri Jun 1 2:26pmSoon we will see the picture of Jesus on a hamburger, the picture of Saint Paul on a grapefruit, the picture of Saint Peter on a cantaloup, the picture of Saint Thomas on an eggplant, and so forth.... more
- The Magnitude of a Miracle Is Inversely Proportional To the David F Mayer, Fri Jun 1 2:21pmDistance in Time and Space Between the Occurrence Miracle and the Report of the Miracle. Thousands of years and thousands of kilometers make a miracle grow stupendously. That is how molehills become... more
- LOL 'Holy mold!" Truthteller, Fri Jun 1 1:02pmSoo dumb. Looks to me like they are living in pretty squalid conditions. Perhaps Jesus is trying to tell them to clean up?
- Yep some elbow grease would do miracles. grin (nm) Διός, Fri Jun 1 6:54pm
Religion and Ethics BBS