kwPlastic BeachesThu Jun 7, 2012 6:34pm18.104.22.168I recently saw a tv report on the tons of plastic debris floating in the ocean and washing ashore on the beaches in Hawaii. What a big mess. I suspect it's from the west coasters dumping tons of waste out in the Pacific. I think they should build a recycle center right on the beach and recycle all that plastic into brand new shiny porta-potties and surf boards. A fleet of fishing ships should go out and collect all that debris by trapping it in nets, and haul it to the beach to be recycled.
It's amazing the distance the floating dock traveled, but I'm reserved about the "invasive" species as organisms have been circulating throughout the oceans and lakes and between countries and continents for ever. Even locally there's an increase and decrease of various plant and animal species depending on the environment and elements and food sources.
- Toxic tsunami trash washing ashore ChristopherBlackwell, Thu Jun 7 5:43pmWe are all connected on this planet though we like to pretend other wises. Now we have a hugh concrete and steel floating dock washing ashore on the Oregon coast with hundreds of millions of foreign... more
- Plastic Beaches kw, Thu Jun 7 6:34pm
- What nation(s) should pay for those fishing boats? Sprout, Mon Jun 11 7:31amHow do you plan on raising the money to fund the operation?
- Gee that is easy,the tax payers again (nm) ChristopherBlackwell, Tue Jun 12 8:03pm
- Which nations taxpayers? Sprout, Wed Jun 13 7:01amOr do you envision some sort of international tax?
- You know the answer to that ChristopherBlackwell, Wed Jun 13 8:09pmSprout, Since it is going to be our beaches it will be our taxpayers who end up paying. What is bad about is the companies that take part will make huge profits. But this is true in all disasters,... more
- I haven't given it that much thought. kw, Tue Jun 12 4:51pmI don't know why they even bother reporting such things seeing as the people who see the report can't really do much about it. I'm concerned about all that junk out in the ocean; and I figure there... more
- I suggest giving such things thought BEFORE Sprout, Wed Jun 13 6:47amsuggesting them as a solution. And do you honestly think the current annual surcharge you pay and you current tax dollars are sufficient to resolve the GLOBAL problem of trash in the oceans? of... more
- Cleaning up the garbage is more profitable than dumping it. kw, Thu Jun 14 3:20am
- Your suspicions are wrong... macsj, Thu Jun 7 8:10pm...The west coast buries, recycles, and burns it's trash. We even take Hawaii's. The east coasts of the rest of the Pacific nations and the west coasts of Central and South America, plus the east... more
- The report didn't mention whose trash. kw, Fri Jun 8 11:50amI saw another different report about the growing trash problem in China. While the reports were very good about exposing the trash they were not clear about whose trash was being dumped or what... more
- iYou did, as quoted inside... macsj, Sat Jun 9 11:10pm"from the west coasters dumping tons of waste out in the Pacific" If I said "I suspect the Atlantic trash concentrations are from trash barged out to sea and dumped by the East coasters". Would you... more
- But I was wrong... kw, Sun Jun 10 5:14pm...as you pointed out. So the East coast states routinely dump trash in the Atlantic? I don't know who's doing it, as I said the report didn't mention. And I can't clean up such a ecological disaster ... more
- Sorry, my bad mood. Not your fault. (nm) macsj, Sun Jun 10 5:35pm
- Thanks! kw, Mon Jun 11 5:36amI didn't expect an apology, though, and should have kept my suspicion to myself. By use of satellites they could discover and put an end to using the oceans as a garbage dump. Maybe they already have.
- Had my share of bad moods ChristopherBlackwell, Sun Jun 10 6:14pmmacsj, I hope that you come out of it. Bad moods make things harder than need be.
- macsj must have been ... Mondo Fuego™ , Mon Jun 11 3:48pm... eating "Bad Mood Food". LOL I am always in a good mood ... right? :)
- Trying to prevent invasive species. ChristopherBlackwell, Thu Jun 7 6:28pmNice to see some action. Now the question will be how effective it will be. However I think it is a good thing to do. Oregon removes seaweed from wrecked dock to guard against 'invasive species'... more
- Humans are an invasive species. Ken C, Sat Jun 9 8:51amI think humans mess up the environment and cause more extinctions than any other animal does.
Religion and Ethics BBS