ChristopherBlackwellMusic as weapons of war and tortureFri Jun 8, 2012 6:33pm22.214.171.124Okay folks, now a chilling thought, what kind of music could the government use to break you down and drive you insane? In my case I was thinking polka music, those mindless teeny bopper love songs and perhaps achy breaky western music.
What would break you down?
Music as a weapon of war
by Christopher Cerf
OPINIONS JUN. 09, 2012 - 06:12AM JST
Award-winning “Sesame Street” songwriter Christopher Cerf discusses what it was like to learn that his music was used to torture U.S. detainees in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay.
- Abominable, but greenman, Mon Jun 11 4:32pm...it reminds me of an episode of a very funny British comedy from the '80s called A Very Peculiar Practice. There were serious undertones (pun intended) in the episode "Bad Vibrations," which had to ... more
- Oh Oh Oh! I Know I Know!!! PureStevil, Mon Jun 11 8:07amThis one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHy7DGLTt8g
- Actually, that might be a realistic pattern in the stars ... Clawson, Tue Jun 12 10:01am...but few composers would want to copy the random moise of machinery operating. Sometimes it is done for special effect as a small part of some larger background for a stage performance.
- To me, music is mostly just noise... macsj, Sat Jun 9 11:48pm...and using noise for torture is nothing new and unique.
- Wow. I am sorry for you Truthteller, Sun Jun 10 11:12amyou don't know what you are missing.
- Explaining color to a blind man... macsj, Sun Jun 10 5:33pm...is the same as explaining sound to the deaf. Generally useless, but that never stops people from trying to explain it or their feeling sorry for me. Also being red/green color blind does not stop... more
- Thanks for clarifying... Truthteller, Mon Jun 11 7:30amas I did not understand you to say you are deaf. Please accept my apologies.
- I don't smell much of anything any more ChristopherBlackwell, Sun Jun 10 6:12pmmacsj, My sense of smell is all but gone. I don't even smell the incense I use in my ceremonies, frankincense. Now the upside is I miss some bad smells. I am progressively more deaf. So I don't hear... more
- It's just one of those things Truthteller, Mon Jun 11 7:31amI do my best work with music playing and have all my life. Diff'rent strokes, I guess. :)
- Paradise lost - Pure HELL - Nonstop forever and ever and ... Clawson, Sat Jun 9 11:54amhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlY-guWIEvI
- This would do me in.. Tinfoil, Sat Jun 9 10:09amhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJFEVAbTzxo
- Yeah, J-Pop is pretty hard to take. Poppet, Sun Jun 10 7:39pmNot fond of J-Pop , but a lot of folks arfe probably more likely to gouge out their ears over dubstep . And of course there's always extreme noise, like Merzbow . Music as weapon? Oh, I'm just... more
- And there are always the classics greenman, Wed Jun 13 5:25pmhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYtzNl48F60 ;)
- Anything by Rush. Most definlitely the most overrated band. (nm KR, Fri Jun 8 6:52pm
- LOL! greenman, Wed Jun 13 5:27pmMy wife would physically kill you for that commment. But I have to agree that, especially in earlier albums, Geddy Lee was perhaps the worst rock vocalist I've ever heard. Like a fingernail on a... more
- Too many big words? Glenn, Mon Jun 11 7:26pmI'll stack Rush lyrics against anything you want to put up, intellectual maturity-wise 8^p
- Mediocre musicians, nerdy lyrics, overall boring. (nm) KR, Wed Jun 13 12:20pm
Religion and Ethics BBS