SproutFirst step. Define "marriage"...Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:29am18.104.22.168Is it a religious sacrament? Or is it a civil entitlement?
Or is it somehow both?
And perhaps the ultimate question that NOBODY bothers to ask. Why is the gov't involved AT ALL?
Obviously the gov't HAS been involved for quite some time. But WHY? And why not correct that?
- Gay marriage ... Ken C, Sun Jun 24 10:15amRecently I started a Gay marriage thread on my favorite bicycling forum. The people there give so much good bicycle advice that I was interested in their ideas on a moral issue like this.... more
- Gay marriage should be allowed, equal rights for “ALL”. Διός, Wed Jun 27 9:12pmAnd yes make Marriages legal only though a government civil institution to give it its legality and as it is in many European countries. Over there an only Church marriage is not recognized as a... more
- What 'gay rights' REALLY means.. Tinfoil, Tue Jun 26 8:13amhttp://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/S-F-gay-rights-advocate-arrested-over-child-porn-3662138.php
- No it doesn't mean that at all and you know it. ChristopherBlackwell, Wed Jun 27 8:40pmTinfoil, Remember child porn is produced mostly within the families of the child. The number one for of child sexual abuse is incest.
- I have no problem with civil unions greenman, Mon Jun 25 5:20pm....if EVERYONE who marries has to have one. There should not be an artificial distinction between 'unions' and 'marriages,' though.
- Civil Unions and Marriages shouldn't confer... SES, Mon Jun 25 7:12am...any government-type benefits. No tax benefits of any kind. Nor any of the OTHER "benefits" that people say married couples have over non-married couples. Marriage should be a religious thing, that ... more
- What about Ken C, Mon Jun 25 11:38amthe legal authority to handle each others affairs when one is in the hospital? Maybe that's not really a special privilege like the tax breaks, but it would be a reason for people to get the legal... more
- Why do you need the gov't to do that for you? Sprout, Mon Jun 25 11:58amYou don't need an entire gov't for htat. Just one single attorney. And probably not even that. You can to on the INTERNET and pull up a "power of attorney" form, fill it out, get it notarized... more
- All of those, and more, could be handled with... SES, Mon Jun 25 11:45am...a contractual agreement. If I want to, I can assign my girlfriend to be my "Legal Representative" at any such time that I'm hospitalized, using a legal contract of some kind. Why does the... more
- We also need to eliminate deductions for mortgage interest . Mondo Fuego™ , Mon Jun 25 10:36am... why should homeowners get public assistance for owning a home. Apartment dwellers and other renters do not get a tax break. All tax breaks should be eliminated ... except the deductions for other ... more
- What about changing the code Gateway, Mon Jun 25 3:10pmto have companies pay taxes as they earn profits overseas rather than wait for repatriation to the U.S. and the special tax breaks oil companies recieve. Don't forget church's tax breaks.
- Agreed.... Sprout, Mon Jun 25 11:06amIMO folks scream about wanting to eliminate the tax breaks that OTHER PEOPLE get.... Woe be it to the person who thinks that there shoudl be a break on capital gains taxes... But heaven forbid... more
- Eliminate deduction for ... Mondo Fuego™ , Mon Jun 25 12:08pm... capital losses ... as well as tax on capital gains. Get the government and everyone else out of our pockets.
- The only problem i have with that.... Sprout, Mon Jun 25 12:13pmIs that it may touch on the concept of a business expense... If my business is buying and selling (whatever) I pay income tax only on my PROFITS... If I buy a product, and end up selling it for less... more
- The buying and selling of products and services ... Mondo Fuego™ , Mon Jun 25 3:04pm... in the course of business conduct ... and the profits or losses incurred thereby do not constitute capital gains and losses, so your concern here would not apply.
- Buying and selling stocks and bonds Sprout, Tue Jun 26 5:52amin the course of a business....
- I agree. Tax Policy should NOT be used to encourage... SES, Mon Jun 25 10:55am...or discourage behavior. Of ciourse, if you try to get rid of Tax deductions for stuff like dependent children, get ready to be called a racist, or just a shill for the 1%, etc.
- First step. Define "marriage"... Sprout, Mon Jun 25 5:29am
- Yes, I need to clarify what I meant: Ken C, Mon Jun 25 11:26amThere are two separate issues. I think the government should handle the civil/legal union. That union may affect the couples rights to join each others health plans and may give them legal authority... more
- CIt s the document not the ceremony ChristopherBlackwell, Sun Jun 24 2:13pmKen C, It is the license, not the ceremony that makes you married.That document gives you certain legal rights. The ceremony is only a social nicity. So marriage is strictly a legal matter and a... more
- The "License" means that ... Mondo Fuego™ , Mon Jun 25 10:46am... the state owns your relationship ... how shitty is that? This is why many people are just living together ... they don't want or need state ownership of their relationship. There are so many... more
- It's all about acceptance.. Tinfoil, Sun Jun 24 1:18pmThe marriage part of gay marriage is a joke. The real goal is forcing one's lifestyle onto society. If I'm humping my sister I'd want acceptance too. I don't want the stigma of people looking down on ... more
- Gay people increasingly HAVE acceptance greenman, Sun Jun 24 2:37pmThey just need bigots like you to shut up and stop passing legislation aimed at cutting them off from their human, Constitutional, and legal rights. Incest is illegal, in case you didn't know it, and ... more
- They'll never stop demanding.. Tinfoil, Sun Jun 24 5:35pmI've followed the 'gay' issue for decades. Their demands will never end. It's a sad,pitifull wanting their perversion to go-mainstream. That will NEVER happen. In fact their incessant,hissyfit... more
- Nice straw man you are consturcting ChristopherBlackwell, Thu Jun 28 7:46pmTinfoil, However Gay people share one thing with straight people, they are just as varied. That is why the alleged Gay agenda is such a belly laugh. Considering the numbers perhaps we should worry... more
- sorry but I have to strongly disagree Trish, Mon Jun 25 5:48amAs someone who knows many gay couples (whose relationship has lasted much longer than an average hetero marriage) they simply want what other couples have - RIGHTS (in the hospital, for example; on... more
- Hmm, by "followed" greenman, Sun Jun 24 6:49pmI assume you mean 'followed in the same way the Klan follows with interest the issue of civil rights for African-Americans?' You're basically verminous.
- Lot a BS in what you write, Anonymous, Sun Jun 24 2:08pmTinfoil, What a lot of hogwash. I am sorry Tinfoil, but you cannot speak for gay people or what they want because you don't have the foggiest idea how they think. So you create a straw man to attack... more
Religion and Ethics BBS