SESHe loves you, but you must fear him?Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:29pm126.96.36.199"Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!
But He loves you."
I don't tell you who said THAT.
- What does fear of God mean? Ken C, Wed Jun 27 12:40pmI used to be religious and used to go to church a long time ago. The church mainly talked about heaven, God, and other good stuff. I don't remember anything about hell, the devil, or fear of God. Is... more
- He loves you, but you must fear him? SES, Wed Jun 27 1:29pm
- hmm ... SES .. I am more interested in scott, Wed Jun 27 10:19pmconversations with those willing to have them on their own terms .. not on the terms of others .. what is your experience and your conclusion? .. not your agreement with the contentions made by... more
- Since you're apparently new here... SES, Thu Jun 28 7:33am...I'm an Atheist, and I've been an Atheist since I was maybe...12? I'll relate again a specific incident in my personal life. In Middle School (we called it Junior High School in upstate New York)... more
- if a single incident caused you you to disbelieve .. scott, Sat Jun 30 3:34amI'm not certain there would be an incident that would cause you to reconsider .. but just like ti takes way more muscle to make a smile and hardly any to make a frown .. I hope you will at least find ... more
- Only utter nonesense.... Kevin, Thu Jun 28 7:37amwhen one tries to read a CREATION MYTH as something other than that. The students in the class misunderstood the Indian myth and were reading it like a factual report and then you did the same thing... more
- My understanding... Truthteller, Thu Jun 28 8:45amof the Christian creation myth is that the vast majority of Christians DO take the creation story as factual. Are you trying to say that isn't so?
- I realize that as Science progresses... SES, Thu Jun 28 8:05am...more and more of the bible becomes non-factual and non-literal and non-historical. There was a time when every story in the bible was interpret as being literal. Yes, god DID create everything... more
- Wait a minute! Kevin, Thu Jun 28 8:55amYou think that originally the bible was only taken VERY LITERALLY and it is only recently we didn't? It is the opposite actually. As early as the 2nd century Origen -- the main teacher of... more
- So what you mean is that... SES, Thu Jun 28 9:04am...the people TODAY who think that the stories in the Bible ARE literally true (leading, for example, to constant attempts to find the Ark) -- are you saying that those people TODAY are more ignorant ... more
- Well... Kevin, Thu Jun 28 10:08amit is not as easy as saying that ancient people didn't believe the bible as historical fact because they don't know what we know. Some of the interpretations of the literal we just have let go of now ... more
- Have fun at the beach. SES, Thu Jun 28 10:14amI have nothing empirical to back this up, but I would wager that 99% of Jews "back in the day" read most of the stories in the Old Testmaent (Creation, Adam and Eve, the Great Flood/Ark, Soddom and... more
- A lot of people have died... Truthteller, Thu Jun 28 11:57amfor daring to say that some of the things in the bible are NOT literal, such as transubstantiation. Most of the evangelicals that I have encountered (including many right here) have said that they... more
- Kevin is apparently an expert. SES, Thu Jun 28 12:33pmIf he says that a majority of early Jews and Christians realized that most of the stories in their holy books were not to be take literally, then who and I to argue with him? lol OK, I'll argue with... more
- From the beach ont phone... Kevin, Thu Jun 28 1:31pmSo I can't make this long but we are talking about three different things here now. 1) what the thinkers and theologians taught and wrote about to explain the faith. They are the experts that laid... more
Religion and Ethics BBS