SESSo what you mean is that...Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:04am188.8.131.52...the people TODAY who think that the stories in the Bible ARE literally true (leading, for example, to constant attempts to find the Ark) -- are you saying that those people TODAY are more ignorant and superstitious than the people who WROTE the stories, who supposedly already KNEW that they weren't literal history?
You'd have to prove to me that the Jews of, say, 350 AD didn't actually believe that most of Old Testament stories were literally true.
- Wait a minute! Kevin, Thu Jun 28 8:55amYou think that originally the bible was only taken VERY LITERALLY and it is only recently we didn't? It is the opposite actually. As early as the 2nd century Origen -- the main teacher of... more
- So what you mean is that... SES, Thu Jun 28 9:04am
- Well... Kevin, Thu Jun 28 10:08amit is not as easy as saying that ancient people didn't believe the bible as historical fact because they don't know what we know. Some of the interpretations of the literal we just have let go of now ... more
- Have fun at the beach. SES, Thu Jun 28 10:14amI have nothing empirical to back this up, but I would wager that 99% of Jews "back in the day" read most of the stories in the Old Testmaent (Creation, Adam and Eve, the Great Flood/Ark, Soddom and... more
- A lot of people have died... Truthteller, Thu Jun 28 11:57amfor daring to say that some of the things in the bible are NOT literal, such as transubstantiation. Most of the evangelicals that I have encountered (including many right here) have said that they... more
- Kevin is apparently an expert. SES, Thu Jun 28 12:33pmIf he says that a majority of early Jews and Christians realized that most of the stories in their holy books were not to be take literally, then who and I to argue with him? lol OK, I'll argue with... more
- From the beach ont phone... Kevin, Thu Jun 28 1:31pmSo I can't make this long but we are talking about three different things here now. 1) what the thinkers and theologians taught and wrote about to explain the faith. They are the experts that laid... more
Religion and Ethics BBS