TinfoilCheaply-made 'docudramas'..Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:53pm188.8.131.52 (XFF: 10.32.16.38)They've flooded cable/satelitte tv channels. Same plot every time. Group of hillbilly inbreds get together and act stupid,as would be expected. There's really no plot other than that. American Digger,Bering Sea Gold,Alaska Gold,Repo and a dozen others. They're popular in the entertainment field because they can be put together for showing for a couple hundred bucks. What's needed are societal rejects acting stupid,throwing their midwestern bible belt corn fed weight around,screaming nonsensically. Oh and I'll add Chasing UFOs to that and anything-ghost or seeking scifi animals like the chupacabra. These new fake docudramas insult all of us with functioning bwains. Maybe I'll do a docudrama of me whacking my pud. The stupid public would eat it up.
- So what about these “Storage Wars” programs? Gthestranger, Wed Jul 11 5:02pmIn the past few years there have been several reality programs on cable about folks who make a living by speculating at storage unit auctions. I find the programs somewhat interesting but something... more
- OK.... Sprout, Thu Jul 12 5:42am1. As with any business they attempt to collect on moneys they are owed. If the renter wants to make an arrangement, it is up to the renter to do so. The terms of the contract, including what occurs... more
- Storage wars phony ChristopherBlackwell, Wed Jul 11 9:12pmGthestranger Like most of the so called reality shows Storage wars is carefully staged. That fact is that few storage units have anything in them that anyone would want to bid on. So you would have... more
- Indeed greenman, Thu Jul 12 5:38pmI assume ALL reality shows are fake, unless I get some solid, objective proof to the contrary. 'Livin' in a plastic land somebody give me a hand...'
- Re: Storage wars phony Gthestranger, Thu Jul 12 3:28pmMy guess is the industry has regulations it must follow but the shows probably are scripted in as much as they mostly only show the juicy units or drama between buyers. They probably film many more... more
- True, that Truthteller, Thu Jul 12 9:53am"Pawn Stars" and most like "Storage Wars" as well take all year to film one season's episodes, so of course it's condensed for the show. I have some books I want to take in next time we go to LV. I'm ... more
- I think it is primarily editing... Sprout, Thu Jul 12 5:44amThe crews hang out at the pawnshop and film lots of stuff. But only a tiny percentage of it is worth filming. The storage unit buyers buy HUNDREDS of units, and only a FEW are worth making a show on. ... more
- Cheaply-made 'docudramas'.. Tinfoil, Wed Jul 11 5:53pm
- I'm sure a show about.... Gthestranger, Wed Jul 11 6:00pm...BBS posters would do well. G
- Very interesting questions greenman, Wed Jul 11 5:26pmMy own short take on it is that ALL reality shows are fake, that we can't really know what's going on here, and that people like anything remotely resembling treasure-hunting whether its these shows, ... more
- Good point about treasure hunting. Gthestranger, Wed Jul 11 5:57pmStorage Wars type programs are OK, I like the Alaskan gold miners, the Deadliest Catch and Pickers too. When I heard how much the gold miner's each netted I was like, thats not worth the aggravation. ... more
- I am fond of... Truthteller, Wed Jul 11 6:50pm"Swamp People." Now THOSE folks really work for their living! I believe tomorrow is the season ender. I'm also a big fan of "Pawn Stars" and have actually been to their pawn shop in Vegas and met 3... more
- I'll admit I kinda like 'Pawn Stars' greenman, Thu Jul 12 5:40pm...mostly because of the old man, and the crazy shit people bring in. OVer and over I ask, 'WHY would you take that to a PAWN SHOP?' Anybody ever hear of E-bay, auctions, etc? :)
- Sometimes I do too Truthteller, Fri Jul 13 9:26ambut, as Rick often points out, auctions are expensive and you really can't get what something is worth on Ebay. And Pawn Stars often gives fair prices on some items.
- Never saw Swamp People. Gthestranger, Wed Jul 11 7:08pmThe guys from Pawn Stars seem the most ethical of the pawn shows. I've seen where they gave more than the person asked because they knew the item was worth more...but then that may have been for... more
- They mail notices... Truthteller, Thu Jul 12 9:50amof overdue payments. Of course, when you rent a unit, you sign a contract that gives them permission to seize the unit after so many missed payments. It's usually up to the storage company to... more
- Paris is wealthy Gthestranger, Thu Jul 12 3:38pmHow would you feel about making money on an average persons misfortune? I don't mean to put you on the spot but this is some the stuff I'm getting at. The last few years have been hard on a lot of... more
- I HAVE made money... Truthteller, Fri Jul 13 9:24amfrom stuff I've bought at storage auctions. It's not my problem if the owners of the units want to make money selling stuff belonging to people who won't pay their storage rental fee.
Religion and Ethics BBS