SproutI consider the likelihood that SOME folksThu Jul 12, 2012 11:09am18.104.22.168in Egypt want the pyramids destroyed to be high given the actions both in the past as well as in the present of some radical Muslims seeking to destroy pre-Islamic artifacts.
Now, is it the position of anything resembling a majority of Egyptians? Not likely IMO. I suspect it is a pretty small minority.
I think the challenge comes when a small violent minded minority end up IN CHARGE of a nation like Egypt and in control of its military. They could implement such a plan without any sort of consensus of the populace, and the people would understandably be reluctant to openly object to such a religious edict lest they be accused of being insufficiently devoted to their religion themselves.
I sincerely hope that the Egyptians manage to maintain a secular ENOUGH gov't to prevent such behaviors and some of the other problems associated with theocratic rule.
I think one thing that we have going is the incredibly large ECONOMIC value that Giza represents. While I don't trust a religious fanatic to have great fiscal sense, I have to figure that those running the day to day activities of the gov't are going to feel pressure to ensure that money keeps coming in even if it is somewhat distasteful to them religiously.
- Perhaps good bye to the pyramids ChristopherBlackwell, Thu Jul 12 9:29amCalls to Destroy Egypt's Great Pyramids Begin by Raymond Ibrahim FrontPage Magazine July 10, 2012 According to several reports in the Arabic media, prominent Muslim clerics have begun to call for the ... more
- Hey you bigoted old man, donít you start!! Διός , Thu Jul 12 10:20pmGrin that will keep Sprout happy and how are you old timer? Now lets get to it, the pyramids have been under destruction from well before Muhammad was a glint in his fatherís sex organ and we all... more
- Aw, heck. OldCM, Thu Jul 12 11:37amI've been hoping that someday they would dig under the Sphinx and find an alien spaceship. If they blow it up they probably never will dig there.
- This article says that's a Hoax: Ken C, Thu Jul 12 9:59amAlthough some of it may be exaggerations partly based on truth. http://www.rt.com/news/egypt-destroy-pyramids-islamists-007/ Holy hoax: Radical Islamists call on Egypt to destroy pyramids Published:... more
- I am glad to hear that Truthteller, Thu Jul 12 12:03pmbut give the fanatical climate of the Middle East these days, it wasn't beyond the realm of possibility.
- Aparently you are part of the crusade against Muslims :) Sprout, Thu Jul 12 9:32amI mentioned this in a thread a little further down the page and was told by Zeus that I am probably due a medal from the US gov't for creating such a story... Aparently unknown to Zeus, the article... more
- Well at least that is a different charge ChristopherBlackwell, Thu Jul 12 10:38amSprout, I have to admit few people have ever accused me of being In fact I am usually accused of being the opposite being to for giving of the Muslim. I rather hope that the story is untrue, however... more
- I consider the likelihood that SOME folks Sprout, Thu Jul 12 11:09am
Religion and Ethics BBS