SproutI would say the two emotions are often linked, butFri Jul 20, 2012 11:50am126.96.36.199are not necessarily guaranteed to be tied together every time...
I think often people hate things they fear. I think fear can create hatred. But other things can create hatred as well. Ignorance, negative experiences, assumptions, etc..
When it comes to spiders and bugs and such... I think there are a couple of different emotions around. FEAR is one. Especially dealing with animals or insects that bite/sting or otherwise threaten you. Then there is also often a degree of revulsion based on the feeling of how UGLY people see a cockroach as being. Also based on perceptions of uncleanliness that comes with many insects such as flies or maggots.
I think when dealing with spiders you are actually dealing with fairly complex emotions. Mostly negative, but not simple either. A MIXTURE of fear, revulsion, disgust, and maybe other emotions as well.
Take larger predators... Take a lion for example. Many folks would FEAR a lion if they found one up close and uncontained. But there would NOT likely be the same revulsion or disgust that often comes with dealing with creatures that are ALSO percieved as UGLY or DIRTY. I think larger predators inspire FEAR, but not those other emotions.
- What's the difference between hate and fear? Ken C, Fri Jul 20 11:16amI thought I knew the difference, but sometimes I see people accused of "homophobia" when those people seem like they hate gays. Maybe fear and hatred overlap.
- Fear is the mother of hatred Truthteller, Sun Jul 22 5:19pmPeople fear what they don't understand and/or have been conditioned to fear. It is only when they seek more knowledge about what and why they fear that they can overcome it.
- Fear is often followed by unjustifiable hatred, but if your Διός, Fri Jul 20 7:09pmfear for spiders it is more a phobia and that isnít really based on reality. And to an extend that is true for hatred as well both seem to be more about the unknown than being justified by a... more
- Fear often leads to hatred Christopher Blackwell , Fri Jul 20 6:32pmKen C, This is why I find hard to understand those that claim we are to fear and love God. Fear and love do not go together, like fear and hate do. I feared my father, I can assure you I could not... more
- I would say the two emotions are often linked, but Sprout, Fri Jul 20 11:50am
Religion and Ethics BBS