SproutSome places are more liberal than others...Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:25am184.108.40.206Aurora tends to be pretty liberal.
But there is a HUGE difference in whether they "ALLOW" concealed carry and whether or not any significant percentage of the people IN that area CHOOSE to do so.
Take Washington State. They have a concealed handgun law. But there are PARTS of the state where the people tend to be more liberal and fewer folks actually do carry. And there are OTHER parts of the state where people tend to be more conservative and more folks actually do carry.
New York has a concealed carry law, but only a TINY fraction of the people there CHOOSE to go through the process to carry.
Heck, even in Texas there are only about a half a million folks with a conceealed handgun license, and a significant number of them are not carrying at any given moment. And in Texas, there are cities that are more liberal, and therefore a smaller PERCENTAGE of the people are likely to carry.
- James Holmes and the Aurora, Colorado shooting massacre. Διός, Mon Jul 23 5:31amWe keep hearing that the gun toting Americans need more weapon to stop criminals acting out there crimes. So where were those gun toting Americans heroes during that slaughter?... more
- Story of three heros Christopher Blackwell , Wed Jul 25 6:48pmI will have to go back and see if I can find the story. Three young men each pushed their girlfriends to the floor and covered each with his own body. All three of the girlfriends survived, two... more
- Because it was a gun free zone. BOSS, Tue Jul 24 4:46amand only the good guys obey the law.
- Interesting carry in two large weapon and nobody stops you. Διός, Wed Jul 25 5:04amWell how dumb is that? Sorry BOSS I don't buy it. Διός
- You are aware that he used a fire door right? Sprout, Wed Jul 25 5:50amNOT a front door where there would be a ticket taker. Nobody guards fire doors. They are locked from the outside, but are unlocked from the inside so that folks can use them to exit the building if... more
- Thanks, yes I'm not aware of that because I didn't see that Διός, Wed Jul 25 7:24amreported over here. However it is still a crazy thing to let such thing happen. And what now shall we have cross fires in the cinemas because it is now turning in to a frenzy of a gun buying bonanza. ... more
- You don't see the big picture.... et, Wed Jul 25 7:47amWhat makes any item a hot commodity?
- "let" such things happen... Sprout, Wed Jul 25 7:37amWho do you propose "let" him in? He let HIMSELF in. No, I'm not wringing my hands at all seeing those weapons sales. I don't stress over the little stuff. I own a significant number of firearms. None ... more
- Then why wasn't it enforced? greenman, Tue Jul 24 5:35pmSAYING an area is 'gun free' doesn't mean much if you let people with guns enter. Perhaps that's the REAL problem here?
- Do you think a theater should reasonably be Sprout, Wed Jul 25 5:51amexpected to post guards at every fire exit? And to have metal detectors or pat down all visitors to ensure that no one violates their POLICY (not law) of their property being a gun free zone?
- Sure greenman, Wed Jul 25 5:35pmIF they're serious about the gun-free zone. You think they should just post a sign and forget about it?
- U REALLY want your family wearing BODY ARMOR just because sT, Tue Jul 24 10:03amNUTS like U HATE the idea of GUN LAWS?
- Oh, sorry, I was just answering the question. BOSS, Tue Jul 24 12:42pmthats all. I didn't know I had to give my opinion also. Now if the question was asked and then asked to give my opinion, then I would have done so, but just a question was asked, so I answered it.
- lou dobbs expressedDISAPPOINTMENTthatNO1stood up to holmes; sT, Mon Jul 23 8:34pm"perhaps if others had had guns"[&BALLISTIC HELMETS&ARMOREDclothing!]
- Bored on this subject Christopher Blackwell , Mon Jul 23 5:47pmΔιός,, I begin to wonder what we might be missing by wasting time on this situation. I have to avoid every news channel because they are all playing the same thing. Might as well... more
- It SHOULD be a WAKEup call for Americans to start fighting sT, Tue Jul 24 10:15amback against the IDIOCY of the NRA! EVERY CON SIGNS 2 OATHS BEFORE GETTING $ TO RUN FOR OFFICE, 1 to grover norquist promising not to raise taxes NO MATTER HOW BANKRUPTED our governments get or how... more
- What are you waiting for? Do it... Sprout, Tue Jul 24 5:49amGo visit a bank, present your business plan, and start with a LOCAL news channel that presents the news as you see fit. See how it works. Why is it 'someone' who should do it? Why NOT you? I have... more
- You have to consider the scenario. Poppet, Mon Jul 23 8:34amThe Aurora tragedy was a scenario in which defensive use of a firearm would have been particularly difficult. Crowded dark theater, the crowd beginning to erupt in chaos, tear gas in the room, etc... ... more
- Thanks for that good bit of info and resoning. Διός, Wed Jul 25 5:10amNow a question if you were there and had a gun on you and you were under direct fire? Διός
- Ah, now that's an excellent question!. Poppet, Wed Jul 25 6:48amThe best thing for me to do if I were in such a situation and taking fire would be to move as quickly as I could to a position of cover. From there, I'd have a moment's respite to decide if I had a... more
- Very true; did you see where The Myth Busters did some Διός, Wed Jul 25 7:33amVery true; did you see the where The Myth Busters did some experimenting on who is quick a guy with a knife running toward a gun wearing person where the knife won out easily. Διός
- Yup... which is why I find it silly when the Sprout, Wed Jul 25 7:39ammedia gets all upset when the police or a civilian shoots an attacker with a knife on the grounds that the attacker "only" had a knife.
- Very true; did you see the where The Myth Busters did some Διός, Wed Jul 25 7:33amVery true; did you see the where The Myth Busters did some experimenting on who is quick a guy with a knife running toward a gun wearing person where the knife won out easily. Διός
- Advoiding being harrased by et, Mon Jul 23 6:06amgun toten paid public servants? "So where were those gun toting Americans heroes during that slaughter?"... more
- Aurora is extremely liberal... Sprout, Mon Jul 23 5:40amNot many folks there willing to take responsiblity for their own personal security.
- What about foreign countries with nuclear weapons? Ken C, Tue Jul 24 12:14amIf you expect folks to take responsibility for their own personal security, then should foreign countries use that same reasoning to develop and test nuclear bombs?
- Personal security and national security are Sprout, Tue Jul 24 5:50amsomewhat different concepts.
- Yeah, we should ALL wear BALLISTIC helmets & armored sT, Mon Jul 23 10:36pmclothing (like holmes) & carry shotguns into movie theaters! DAMN, U NUTS ARE KRAZY!
- Nah.... I don't do that kind of thing at all... Sprout, Tue Jul 24 5:47amI simply take the reasonable precaution of carrying a legal, licensed handgun on my person at most time. And NOBODY suggests that we SHOULD all wear helmets, body armor and carry shotguns... in movie ... more
- Well what would your little pea shooter do against HIS FULL sT, Tue Jul 24 9:59ambody armor & shotgun? NUTS like U is why JERKS LIKE HIM ARE ABLE TO GET WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION SO EASILY!
- Typically dishonest claim greenman, Mon Jul 23 6:24pmThere may not be many who CHOOSE to bear arms out of concern for the prevalence of guns in our society, and gun violence. Hardly the same thing. About the only thing you "take responsibility" for is... more
- I'm liberal and I take responsiblity for my security. Ken C, Mon Jul 23 1:18pmI always wear a seatbelt in cars. I always wear helmet on bicycle rides. I've never been in any situation where a gun would have helped me. Why do some people spend so much time worrying about... more
- The examples you gave are taking responsibility for Sprout, Mon Jul 23 1:35pmyour SAFETY.... not your SECURITY. There is a difference. Most folks who carry firearms don't spend any more time "worrying" about theater shootings than you spend "worrying" about a kitchen fire.... more
- Okay, what about bike theft? Ken C, Mon Jul 23 2:39pmIs that a SECURITY issue? Bicycle theft happens a lot more often than mass murders in public places (like movie theaters.) If I was going to carry a gun, it would be for protection from bicycle... more
- But remember, what you originally mentioned Sprout, Tue Jul 24 5:45amwas wearing a helmet. And a helmet isn't generally useful in preventing theft.
- Yes locking your bike is a security issue... Sprout, Tue Jul 24 5:44amBut you would not be using a gun to prevent bike THEFT.... you would use a gun to prevent ROBBERY... The two terms are different. Theft would be the case where you walked away from the bike and... more
- How would you know wondering, Mon Jul 23 8:55amhow "liberal" Aurora is? Do only "liberal" people go to see Batman movies on the premiere night?
- I have been there... and have family living in Sprout, Mon Jul 23 11:06amthat area.
- That's about wondering, Mon Jul 23 11:37amthe most idiotic thing I've heard you say yet. Just because you have "been there" and have family "living in the area" translates to Aurora being "extremely liberal" which translates to "not many... more
- If you aren't bright enough to grasp that Sprout, Mon Jul 23 11:43amfolks who have liberal leanings are significantly LESS likely to carry a firearm, and that some areas of our country have demographics that are far more liberal than others, I really can't help you.
- We liberals have a right to live in a society that doesN'T sT, Mon Jul 23 8:38pmMANDATE a NEED to wear ARMORED CLOTHING & carry HEAVY WEAPONS thanks to MORONS who think there should be NO GUN LAWS.
- So go live in one. (nm) Sprout, Tue Jul 24 5:42am
- I was born here & will fight YOUR IDIOCY until dead. sT, Tue Jul 24 10:01amMaybe some day some U love will be MURDERED senseLESSLY by some NUT CASE LIKE U, & U will change YOUR mind.
- You were born in a society in which Sprout, Wed Jul 25 10:16amthe indivdual retains the right to keep and bear arms. Now you want to change that...
- Simply put wondering, Mon Jul 23 11:55amYou have no idea of the political leanings of the people who were in that theater, nor in Aurora. Anyone with a brain would deduce that there were likely many people with conservative leanings who... more
- Demographics.... Study the concept. (nm) Sprout, Mon Jul 23 12:20pm
- Is that why... Truthteller, Mon Jul 23 7:26amthey are allowed to conceal-carry there? LOL Sounds like something you'd say.
- Some places are more liberal than others... Sprout, Mon Jul 23 8:25am
- I do not understand the Gateway, Mon Jul 23 9:14amcontext of your use of the words liberal and conservative as it applies to gun carrying. I think of myself as socially liberal, fiscally conservative and have never carried a gun. The only time in my ... more
- Politically, not necessarily socially... Sprout, Mon Jul 23 11:05amAs a general rule, POLITICAL liberals as represented by the Democrat party oppose private ownership of firearms and suggest that the solution to a threat is seeking assistance from law enforcement... more
Religion and Ethics BBS