SESThat's pretty weak for restaurants to claim that...Wed Aug 1, 2012 12:33pm220.127.116.11...throwing TWO plates and TWO forks and TWO glasses into their Industrial Size dishwasher justifies charging two or three bucks more for an entre'.
And, as I said, the effort of the waiter or waitress is accounted for by the tip.
Where do you live? I'm in Virginia and I've never heard of an extra charge for sharing an entre'.
- Greatness isn't reserved for the chosen few. Ken C, Wed Aug 1 12:19amThere was a post below that said "Olympics are the apotheosis of hypocrisy and should be abolished". I disagree with that. I think the problem isn't the Olympic athletes. The main problem is all the... more
- What do you mean by greatness? Διός, Thu Aug 2 3:37pmGreatness can be measured in many different ways in many different fields and abilities. Sport is only one of those. Διός
- OT - see my post to you below Ken C, Thu Aug 2 4:26pmhttp://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.cgi?disc=175790;article=1459349;title=Religion%20and%20Ethics%20BBS
- I hope people do not Gateway, Wed Aug 1 8:14pmequate talent with greatness.
- I used the word "greatness" because the commercial used it. Ken C, Thu Aug 2 4:33pmMaybe it would have been more accurate to use a different word. My main point was that more people should spend more time exercising and less time watching sports. People can enjoy casual competition ... more
- Decent message. PureStevil, Wed Aug 1 6:42amI think it applies to more than just physical fitness too. We don't need to worship gods. We ourselves can be great.
- I've had discussions with people where I work where... SES, Wed Aug 1 6:14am...they claimed that they didn't have time to "workout", and that right after work that had to go do whatever -- pick up their kids at Day Care, or whatever. And yet they take an hour at lunchtime... more
- I'm sure it also makes you feel better greenman, Wed Aug 1 4:51pm...to put everyone else down as "stuffing their fat faces" while you self-righteously act fit and superior. I know...it's a Rightie thing. :)
- It seems more complicated than just laziness. Ken C, Wed Aug 1 10:04amMaybe partly laziness, or it could be physical problems, or some hormonal problems causing lack of energy. I have a strong urge to do physical exercise, but I have trouble motivating myself to do... more
- I don't think... wondering, Wed Aug 1 8:18amthat it is "just" laziness. Yes, people make lots of excuses when they should just "do" what they need to do to get in shape. But, it isn't necessarily laziness that is the problem. Recently I was... more
- Eating is another whole issue. SES, Wed Aug 1 8:23amI occasionally go to an all-you-can-wat Chinese Buffet. I'm always amazed by the number of fat people who eat there. No will-power, and being lazy. These days, with the size of the portions that... more
- Well you know.... wondering, Wed Aug 1 12:12pmhow those Republicans are... fat and lazy and no will power. Can't imagine who would vote for someone like that. Oh yeah, people who are also fat, lazy and have no will power. ;)
- Probably best wondering, Wed Aug 1 8:32amfor overweight people to avoid all-you-can-eat buffets altogether. But yeah, lots of restaurants serve large portions that can easily be halved and saved for later. Some restaurants will even let... more
- No friggin' way. Really? SES, Wed Aug 1 8:36amSlightly higher cost to share a meal? What the...? If my girlfriend and I go into a "Bonefish Grill", and we order one entre' and share it, they better NOT charge us slightly more. I mean. Really.... more
- It's called... Truthteller, Wed Aug 1 9:34aman "extra plate charge" or "split plate charge." At least, it is in some of the restaurants I've been in.
- Because wondering, Wed Aug 1 8:59amthey give you a bread basket or extra salad or sides to go with the meal.
- When I go out to eat alone around here... SES, Wed Aug 1 9:43am...I get the same bread basket as if I go with a friend. And if I go with a friend, and I say "I'll have the pork tenderloin, and we'll share it", they don't bring HER a salad, too. Just me. And then ... more
- Does your friend use your silverware, too? wondering, Wed Aug 1 12:08pmI think that would be like freeloading, to take up space and expect to get service for two and only pay for one. What are you, a "liberal" or something? lol
- Usually... SES, Wed Aug 1 12:20pm...the tables are set with silverware for four. And I, alone, take ups as much "space" (one booth or one table) as we would as a couple (one booth or one table). I mean, it's not like they seat... more
- A few things would justify the split-plate charge. PureStevil, Wed Aug 1 12:34pmIf they bring her a separate plate there is an additional dish to clean. Her taking up a seat means there are less chairs for other potential customers. Even if the table size is the same they... more
- Obviously, because... Truthteller, Wed Aug 1 12:28pmyou are dirtying TWO of everything. A waitress/waiter had to bring all the stuff over to you and someone will pick it up when you leave. Hence the extra charge. At least, that is how I have heard it... more
- While we're on the topic of tipping.... SES, Wed Aug 1 12:38pm...why is the amount of the tip based on how much the meal cost? I've never understood that. Why is it that if I go to the local pizza joint, and the waiter/waitress makes, say, 10 trips to my table... more
- That's pretty weak for restaurants to claim that... SES, Wed Aug 1 12:33pm
- Do you share a seat too? Ken C, Wed Aug 1 9:47amTwo people take up twice as much space as one. I hardly ever go to restaurants, so I don't know what they do.
- Few places, here anyway, have single-person seating. SES, Wed Aug 1 9:50amIf I go alone, or with a friend, I/we take up the same space in a booth, either way.
Religion and Ethics BBS